reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
My "rescue" kdx apparently had a kicker from another bike, probably a KX. It had a different knuckle (no circlip on top) and a different shaft (aluminum). Works fine.

The friends KDX-220 that I am working on now has the factory setup, and it was badly worn, such that it was hard to keep your foot from slipping off when you kicked it over. The arm pointed down and away when you were kicking.

The problem was as obvious as the solution. The metal where the knuckle engages the lever was worn on both parts, nicely mushroomed and badly slanted.

10 minutes with the oxy actylene welder, and a few more minutes with a file, and everything was back where it should be, and the lever looks great. I need a few gaskets and other missing parts (previous owner didn't think the KIPS shaft needed that post retainer to keep it from moving up and down) before it all goes back together, but the "off bike" assembly looks great. I'm assuming the welds will hold up fine.

That's surprisingly soft steel on that kickstarter lever. I put it in the vise to file it, not particularly hard, and it left a pretty good cosmetic divot.

So anyway, if your kickstarter slants down and away, a good welder should be able to perk it up in less then half an hour. A bad welder (like me) should be able to do it in 45 minutes ;)

FWIW.

Top Bottom