1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Just wondering if anyone else's two stroke is very picky about
starting where the kickstart has to always be at tdc to fire up and its a pain to get it in that position sometimes?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Rich jetting, or it needs a new float valve. All my bikes do this. This is bad? But the tdc thing, you want it just before tdc. It starts to get hard, you are there! Vintage Bob

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
The issue you are describing is common for large 4 strokes. My WR can be somewhat picky about the correct stroke/piston placement which is the reason for the compression release. I havent had that experience with 2 strokes. My KDX will fire second or third kick regardless of position. The same is true for other 2 strokes I have owned.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Sometimes it's hard to find tdc on my bike, like the kickstarter is hard to get into that position. I've never had to two stroke where I actually had to try and find tdc to get a "full kick" to start it. Everyone has issues trying to get my bike started except me!

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
WFFR

I could see how the 480 might be different from my experiences. All of my 2 strokes have been 250cc or less. Is that a CR480, early 80s? I thought about buying an old CR as a project bike, but the folks I ride with talked me out of it. They said the handling and suspension would be inferior to any modern bike. How would you rate the handling and general performance of that bike?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
My 02 was a biotch as well. Jetting, particularly air screw, had to be dead on for it to start easily. Have you broken the kick starter yet?

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
I haven't broken it yet, but its "Worn" a bit and scraping the works connection aluminum frame saver... Been trying to find one on ebay, but they aren't so cheap!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
They're priceless out on the muddy trail! Mine lasted a handfull of rides after it started rubbing the frame guard. Used ones are vey hard to come by as most of them break long before the bike is junked. Gotta love Suzuki.......

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
yeah the problem is the stopper where the kick start pivots on is worn so it rotates to far. I was trying to figure out if it could be welded,that would probably be better then getting a whole new one. I can't get screw out to rebuild the bushing and stuff inside either, probably has never been apart!

Top Bottom