muddawg

Jan 26, 2005
I just cleaned up my KIPS system which was not driving the valves all the way back. Everything is clean and back together thanks to the many great posts here. What I noticed is that the return spring still does not close the valves all the way. I can put a very light torque on the gear nut (left side) and help it get there. I took the govenor shaft gear off to see how much of the shaft travel has spring force in it. It only went a small distance where I could feel the force of the spring and then seemed to go overcenter. Now there is zero spring. It did not sound like the pin sheared. Is it possible to over rotate the shaft/over center from the advance mechanism? Just wondering what I have screwed up. I will be taking it apart tonight. Thanks in advance for any replies. MD

louis

Sep 2, 2002
Has someone else worked on the bike before you? The pin may be bent. With the clutch basket removed you can see the pin & bracket with a mirror. You need to be sure on this one.

louis

Sep 2, 2002
muddawg

I think we are talking apples and oranges. The pin I am refering to is part # 13236-1260,this pin is usually bent or broken from its bracket if the left hand threaded nut, # 92015-1572 is not treated as such. The shaft, # 13234-1101 must be held in place during removal and installation of the nut. It has flats for this purpose. Keep us posted.

kdxtimmay

Dec 9, 2004
Got it figured out now. It was slightly bent but not broken. I tweaked it back and see no sign of fracture. For the price of this little part though, I am assuming that I should replace it? Thanks for the info. I did support the shaft when taking the KIPS apart but I know that this bike has been worked on (screwed up) prior to me buying it. Thanks again

Bill Beard

Dec 3, 2001
muddawg said:
I just cleaned up my KIPS system which was not driving the valves all the way back. Everything is clean and back together thanks to the many great posts here. What I noticed is that the return spring still does not close the valves all the way. I can put a very light torque on the gear nut (left side) and help it get there. I took the govenor shaft gear off to see how much of the shaft travel has spring force in it. It only went a small distance where I could feel the force of the spring and then seemed to go overcenter. Now there is zero spring. It did not sound like the pin sheared. Is it possible to over rotate the shaft/over center from the advance mechanism? Just wondering what I have screwed up. I will be taking it apart tonight. Thanks in advance for any replies. MD

Are you saying that the governor shaft should have spring return? My shaft just turns one direction or other and stays. Maybe mine has something broken. I guess I'll take it apart and see what's amiss.

muddawg

Jan 26, 2005
The centrifugal mechanism has a compression spring that should drive the pin at the end of the KIPS govenor shaft back. This would close the valves after the rpm's drop. The spring is fairly stiff and would be felt as you turn the gear clockwise looking down. If you turn it too far, it will push the spring far enough to open the gap of the advancer mechanism to let the pin rotate and end up in the wrong direction. This is what I did. After taking the case off, it was real obvious what I had done. It is all back together now. If you take the left side round cover off, you can rev the bike and should be able to see the nut on the end of the gear turn as the revs come up. It should return when the engine slows back down. The govenor shaft does have some lost motion. I am not sure if this is supposed to be or not.

Bill Beard

Dec 3, 2001
KIPS Governor shaft travel

I took my side case off today and was sickened at the sight. Some knucklehead (whoever owned/worked on it before me) removed the whole centrifugal advancer mechanism (shaft etc). I guess I'll buy the assy piece-by-piece. I doubt if anyone would have one "sitting around".

Top Bottom