jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
Kawasaki is making a New KLX 110, looks like a KX 65 with a four stroke motor, It is listed on their website finally, just wondering if anyone knows a price ? Delivery dates are Jan or Feb 2002, I have talked to a few dealers, but no one knows the price, the website says 5699 or something, this HAS to be a Mis-Print. A XR100 is only around 2grand more or less. The bike looks like a idea trail bike for a little guy with its low seat height. But I'll get a TTR90 before I pay 5600 hundred bucks.

Marklx

May 24, 2001
Just checked the site, and it shows as $1699. Got my ttr90 for $1800 out the door, so looks like some good competition is on the way. Now if I could just get my kids to shift out of second.....

Mark

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
Mark, We just came from the dealer, looking at the TTR90 yesterday, could you let me know if you have had any problems, any suggestions on the bike ? We are proably going to get the TTR90. The seat height is low enough on it. The kid is six and he is currently riding a bike with 23" seat height, it a KTM, so its not trail friendly. Would the TTR90 be a good change ?

Marklx

May 24, 2001
JS,

I bought the ttr for my son, who is seven, and had been riding around on a pw50 for a few months. He was too big, but not ready for a clutch, and I think the ttr is a perfect transition.

So far, my son and newly interested 10 year old daughter have just been riding around in second gear. More than enough torque and top end that way. Getting used to the foot brake keeps them busy enough, so shifting will come next. The motor is very flexible, with no topend hit at all. It just keeps pulling along. And the meager suspension seems to work great with their 55-75 pounds. A bit overwhelmed by my 160, but still fun.

The only problem so far was an improperly routed throttle cable, which ended up getting stuck at half throttle. Fortunately, it happened before my son put it in gear, so no harm. I was at a track that day and checked a bunch of ttr's, and half of them were routed wrong (all the new ones). Pretty obvious and the shop and I should've seen it. Yamaha replaced the cable no charge.

If your son doesn't like, you'll find that it's a great bike for putting around the neighborhood:D

Mark

Shaymer

Oct 18, 2001
$16999, and that feels like a low, and welcomed, price. Seat height is about 27 inches, and the dealers know about as much as we do.

Are they really talking Feb. Oh man.

Shaymer

Shaymer

Oct 18, 2001
Dohht, My bad. !,699. Seems like a reasonalbe price and nudged in there with the ttr90 and JR80, but man that XR70 at $1300 is almost too good to beat.

Marklx

May 24, 2001
I've seen some prices on the xr70 in the cycletrader print version lower than $1300 . Figures everyone started blowing 'em out after I bought the ttr. I like the ttr, but don't think the kids would miss the extra 20cc, as they never get out of 2nd gear. I would certainly enjoy the extra few hundred dollars in my wallet, though.

But the kids really did want a blue bike, and color matters with the little ones:)

Mark

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
Seat Height is only 26" according to specs.
I just don't want to wait until Feb. to get one.
Do the kawi's always come in that late ?
Seems to be the perfect bike for the Older kids or 6, 7 & 8 year old big kids. Mines only 6, but he is tall. He doesn't race so this bike should fit him well. If we don't pick up the TTR 90 first.

2002 KLX110 SPECIFICATIONS

Engine: 4-stroke SOHC 2-valve single
Displacement: 111cc
Starting: Kick
Bore x Stroke: 53.0 x 50.6mm
Compression ratio: 9.3:1
Cooling Air:
Carburetion: Keihin PB18
Ignition: CDI
Transmission: 3-speed centrifugal clutch
Frame: Backbone frame, high-tensile steel
Rake/trail: 25.5 degrees/2.16 in.
Suspension, front: 30mm hydraulic telescopic fork
Suspension, rear: single hydraulic shock
Wheel travel, front: 4.3 inches
Wheel travel, rear: 4.2 inches
Tire, front: 2.50 x 14
Tire, rear: 3.00 x 12
Brakes, front/rear: Mechanical drum/Drum
Overall length: 62.2 in.
Overall width: 26.4 in.
Overall height: 38.2 in.
Ground clearance: 7.6 in.
Seat height: 26 in.
Dry weight: 140.8 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 1.0 gal.
Wheelbase: 42.6 in.
Color: Lime Green

Shaymer

Oct 18, 2001
Wow, 140 pounds. That seems kind of heavy.

I think I'm going to grab the the 110 if I can get it by Christmas. If not maybe a TTR or SX65. I know their two different breeds.

Shaymer

Oct 18, 2001
Marklx,

I understand about the color. It looks like I'm going to spend 2 grand on a Christmas present for the Yamaha because my wife likes the blue one.:silly:

Marklx

May 24, 2001
Shaymer,

Whatever it takes to get the bike in the garage and all parties happy. Small price to pay for a happy wife. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to explain the brand new '02 rm250 that should show up this Tuesday. Don't think any color will calm her down, but just gotta have it.

Mark

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Okay, who got one?
Any problems with it?
Let me hear your views on it vs the TTR.

My kids are driving me nuts. My son wants one, & my daughter wants his PW.

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
klx110

I purchased the klx110, zero problems, my wife even rides it. It seems to have a ton of controllable low-end power. Seat height is about right for 7 & up, lots of room to grow. This one will last you for a while. Also www.powroll.com has told me they are developing some after market stuff for it. Proably a Pipe to start with.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Thanks!
I'm pretty sure my son is getting the KLX. He sat on a TTR this weekend & it fit him perfectly which means it would be to small for him in a month. ;)

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
bikes

The TTR's are Great bikes, but the Kawasaki looks more like a motocross bike, has a better seat height & the power is great, I don't know how the power is on a ttr90, but it can't be this much & this much low end. Perfect for trail riding.

mhall

Aug 7, 2001
I too have one, for a couple months now. I'm 6' 240lb expert rider and love the little thing. First thing the shop told me when I got it was there is a 4th and 5th gear available and some mods that can be done to the stock carb for a few more hp. Not that a kiddo would need it, but for myself, maybe soon. They also said KX65 forks will mount right up. Powroll website shows the bike, but no goodies yet and BBR said they were looking in to potential as well through a personal e-mail. The things a blast to ride and makes decent power stock. Climbed a hill they took out of the PRO/EXP CrossCountry race here in TX on it. The stock tires are a little cheesy, almost dual sport looking, but $50 gets both ends new tires. Everyone that I've let ride it loves it.

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000

Where to you get tires for 25.00 each ?? And what sorta mod are they doing to the carb ?? I would assume something could be done to open up the airbox for a 1/2 horse maybe. Our 110 has been great so far, one interesting thing is that if the bike is almost upside down on a hill (laid over that is) Transmissin Oil will run out somewhere around the front sprocket, I'm sure its normal, but it looks like if oil could get out, debri could get in ????

mhall

Aug 7, 2001
I don't have the specific carb mods yet. The guy at the shop told me to ask one of the parts guys that used to do some stuff for Kawasaki.It may be shortening spring to throttle or opening up the intake. I haven't felt the need to do anything yet, but I may in order to race a pit bike class in our winter series next year, I'll check and get back with you. Most tires for the bike are pretty reasonable, not much selection, but pricewise between 20 and 30 bucks. The way the airbox is located, I don't know if you can open it up like taking the snorkles off a larger 4stroke airbox. My salesman seemed to think the aftermarket companies will go nuts for the little beast, so I'm just gonna sit back and wait.

Larsey

Jul 25, 2001
My son and I each have a KLX110 for backyard racing. Fast50s.com is coming out with a new line of products for it. I just talked to them on Weds. and they were very close to having a gull wing triple clamp available. Should fix the funky riding position. On my bike I put a pair of Renthal RC mini racer bars and it helped a lot. Also seen the Pro Circuit guys at the MN round of the supercross and they said Mike Brown has one and are working on some stuff, the pipe is already available. Anyway its winter but we have a few hours on the bikes and they seem real good, torquey and less mods needed than doing a XR50 for the backyard.

Top Bottom