dave40

May 2, 2002
I have just got back into riding after a long layoff. Have been riding an old yamaha IT 250. Looking between a KTM 200 and 250 EXC. Do primarily eastern woods riding (tight trails/ rocky hills/ mud / river crossings/ some open trails, etc). Was wondering if the 200 would have enough power and if the 250 would have too much that I would not use. Is the 250 power band smooth, low to top end or is it jumpy with uncontrollable power. My size-- 6 feet/ 200 lbs. Thanks in advance for the help.

DEGBERT

Jan 30, 2001
Dave,

I am the same size as you, I have riden a KTM 200, 250, 300, 380, 400 and 520.
I would have to say the 200 and 300 EXC are the best woods bikes, followed by the 400. The 200 is just as fast as many Jap 250 MX bikes, but it's about 25 lbs lighter. The 200 does "buzz" a little more than the other bikes but it's power to weight ratio can't be beat.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
the 200 is a little smaller & a good bit lighter; has plenty of power, but a narrower powerband. you can smooth out the power with minmal mods, & the handling difference is quite noticeable.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
I have a 200EXC, and my husband has a 250MXC. He's 6'3" and 170 pounds, and loves the 250 motor. He rode my bike through a gnarly rock section a month ago, and commented that he thought the 200 was harder to ride through the really tight, 1st gear stuff. Thought his 250 was smoother. I have ridden his 250, and I know that it doesn't vibrate as much as my 200.

From what I've read, there's only about a 4 HP difference between the 200 and the 250, and about 10-15 (?) pound weight difference. Either bike is a good choice, but you may prefer the 250 due to your size. The 200 also uses a softer rear spring than the 250.

LOSTT

Mar 18, 2002
YOU SHOULD TAKE A LOOK AT THE 300 ALSO..THE POWER IS ALOT SMOOTHER...IT RUNS MORE LIKE A 4-STROKE..THE 250 IS A LITTLE MORE PIPIE...THE 300 WON'T WEAR YOU OUT AS MUCH & THE POWER GETS TO THE GROUND WITH LESS WHEEL SPIN...MOST OF MY BUDDIES SOLD THERE 250'S TO GET 300'S.....

kadman

Mar 14, 2000
Heres my 2 cents: I have ridden a 200,250,and a 300. I currently own a 2000 250 EXC. The 300 is the same weight as the 250 with a lot more power. Most of my riding is on tight trails with lots of roots and rocks. The 300 had too much power and wore me out fast. The 200 is a great bike and is much lighter than my 250. I had to use the clutch more on the 200 but you can simply wip this thing around stuff in the woods. The power band on the 200 does have some glitches though. My 250 will lug down low and has pretty decent top end for the areas I ride in. It have very user friendly power. For the record I am 5'9" and 175 lbs. To tell you the truth I would love to have a 200 EXC just not bad enough to get rid of my 250.

jc220

Nov 7, 2001
i just went from a kdx220 to an 02 250 exc. was a little worried about the power being too snappy and that i wouldn't like it. although a 220 is not even in the same catagory as a 250 exc, IMO, the power on the 220 was very smooth. i found this the same on the 250 exc. lots of power but very smooth. i was afraid it would tire me out fast in the tight woods but it hasn't. i have never ridden the 200 but have heard that it is pretty pipie and can be harder to ride in tight woods. 250 exc is an awesome east coast woods bike. you can lug it when you want and put the power down without it jumping out from under you. i have rode the 300 and it seemed to have a lot harder hit to it.

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Real tough choice. Both bikes are great woods bikes for your size. I had to make the same decision. I'm 5-10, l80#. I liked the idea that the 200 was in a 125 frame, about 20# lighter than the 250 EXE, and had plenty of power with a great power to weigh ratio. Lightweight is important to me, especially in tight woods. Very happy with the way the 200 lugs in stock lst gear, but yes, probably more clutching, and probably more vibration. But a great all around bike.

If I would have bought the 250, I wouldn't be complaining either.

I agree if you are looking for more power, consider the 300 or even the 380. I heard good reports of the 99 and up 380 EXE as a excellent bike in 1st gear in the woods. For sure, these KTM's are not easy to choose between.

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
Dave40,
I had to recently make the choice as well, after a fifteen year layoff from dirtbikes. I chose the 250 EXC and am very satisified with it. You just have to re-learn how to ride again, and ride within your limits. It is awsome fast, if you want it to be, if you want to lug around you can do that as well. You can smooth out the power with jetting/needle selection to make it more low and middle range without much of a hit in aceleration. I have never ridden the 200, so I cannot comment on it. I am six foot and 180lbs. Whatever you decide you will have a really nice woods machine. :cool:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I just went through the same agonizing over which KTM to get. The 200 and 300 were both recommended to me, and I had ridden both (also two different model year's of 250's). I didn't like the powerbands on the 300 (too abrubt down low) or the 200. I prefered the powerband of the newer 250 that I had ridden (actually LoriKDX's husband's bike from a few messages up). I got the 2002 250 EXC and love my choice! I came off a WR400 and am not looking back! I'd recommend the '02 250, you won't be disappointed. The motor is fast, but super-controllable, and lugs really nice and soft.

Any way you go, you'll like the KTM you choose!

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
Any of the powerbands can be "fine tuned" with the proper jetting. My MXC hit a bit too hard going into the mid range, I simply changed a needle and viola! totally different animal. Now she runs like a tractor down low until I snap the throttle open... then LOOK OUT! :)

Anssi

May 20, 2001
The 200 EXC I rode had awesomely smooth low-end, but signed off very early when trying to rev it out, at about the point where I expected the little 2-stroke to really start flying. On top end it had nothing on my YZ250. Good for tight woods, but a pain when you really want to get it on (as in on an MX track).

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Woods-Rider, what needle are you running? I switched to an N3EJ (stock YZ250 needle) and it sure made a big difference in the powerband and really cleaned up the low end. The low end might be a tad lean, so I'm going to try a 48 pilot today. I've ordered a CEJ, which I understand helps as well.

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
MWeissen,
I too changed the needle to the N3EJ, it smoothed out the power band, much more low to mid range, but seemed that it took some off the top, is this the trade off? Did you experience the same thing? I really liked the stock needle, first clip (the needle after break-in, F I think), thinking about going back to it.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Yeah, I wasxs surprised at how the N3EJ really smoothed out the low end and mid-range. It stopped the pipe from spooging all over too. I honestly haven't had a chance to cork it to see if the top end is flat or not. When the weather up here in Michigan gets straightened out, I'm going to fine-tune the jetting a little more. I think the bike could use a 48 pilot.

What main jet are you runing? I've got a 178 in right now. If you're running 175, I'd certainly go up one. Also, the 3rd clip on the N3EJ seems a good starting point.

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
I've got a 178 main, 48 Pilot, third clip position. The "E" needle (stock needle after break-in) had more of a punch and top end. Your right about the spooge, little if any. It's been hot heere in Florida, may be a factor I'm not sure. If I put the stock needle (first clip) back in I'll report the difference.
Thanks

socal scott

Nov 2, 2001
I've heard 230 pounders can fly on 200's. I go 190 at 5' 11". I'm in So Cal, so woods is an unknown.
250's feel heavy now. Lawman can give you his linear/torquey set-up.
Search KTMtalk or holeshot for his detailed posts.
Jetting can transform a 200 into many personalities. You'll have to re-spring, re-valve and remove 60% of rear brake pad material to be happy for sure.
No real need to fuss w/250's.

Top Bottom