Duwvesmith

Dec 16, 2001
I have a deposit on a 250EXC-RFS but am having 2nd thoughts. I have noticed very little information about the 250 and everyone raves about the 450. Which bike is right for me?

I ride NC and WVA tight trails that are slimey and rock/root infested. I weigh 165, add 20lbs for gear. I am problably a C+ class but don't race. I have spent some time on a WR250 and had a ball! It seems like the 250 would be a great bike but I have some doubt that it would be enough.

I got my June issue of Dirt Bike and the EXC rated 2nd to the WR. This worries me that I might out grow the 250, and would regret not getting the 450.

What do I do. Money IS an issue and the 250 is about $1000 less, plus the 250 qualifies for the 6 month same as cash.

Ted

Mar 25, 2000
I came off a 99 300 and absolutely love my 2003 RFS 250 - super bike - only short coming I have found is on Dual Sport rides, the top end is in the mid 50's.

Other than that (and that is a very small portion of my riding) it is terrific!

Ted

scott brown

Jun 2, 2002
i also came off an 02 300 exc and i love my 03 250rfs. once you get the jetting right the bike runs great. the bike handles great and feels much lighter than the 450 and 525. i ride in the hills and mountains of tenn. with stock gearing and it has enough power. in fact it's lack of power as compared to the 450 is what makes it so fun to ride. you rev it like a 125 but you don't get all that crazy wheel spin. i can definitely ride this 250 faster than my 300 and the 300 had a lot more power. only you can really deciede what is right for you. if you are abig power guy then get the 450. i have not been disappointed with the 250. my top speed is 75mph with stock gearing.

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
If you can scrape together the extra grand, get the 450. It weighs exactly the same as the 250 and 525. As for wheelspin, You've apparently never ridden a 450 or 520/525. There is no real wheelspin to speak of. Just incredibly smooth and linear power. All the KTM RFS bikes are that way, some are just more powerful than others. I had a 300 before my current 520, and although overall power is similar, the delivery of that power is as different as night and day.

The 250 is an excellent bike to be sure, but save yourself the trouble of wanting more power and just get the 450.

Also, I don't know where you're getting the bike, but H&H KTM has 03 450EXCs for $6898. http://www.ktmworld.com

Last edited:

Ed White

Apr 6, 2003
I haven't seen the June DB, but the May issue has a shootout iwth the KTM the clear winner. Quoting DB, "the Yamaha finishes a not-so-close second".
I just recently bought a 450 EXC and love it. I had been away from dirt bikes for several years and worried the 450 would be too much bike to get back with. No problems. It's a sweet bike. I love the torque. I weigh 215 and think the 250 would be a little light in the torque department. I also ride the WV hills as I live right in the middle of the Hatfield McCoy system. The 450 is heavier than the 250, but it feels very light compared with the XRs and DRs I've ridden. I don't think you could go wrong with either bike, but like an earlier post said, you'll end up wanting more power, messing with pipes, cams, etc. The 450 already has the juice, even with the stock pipe, which is relatively quiet. I've had bikes I couldn't start in the driveway at night becauses the noises pissed off the neighbors. No problem with this bike.

Top Bottom