CRF250X, or 450EXC for a little more?

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6'2", 220 w/o gear.
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Moderately aggressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Mostly trails/woods, some MX tracks for fun.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
3yrs (coming off a KDX200).
5) Do you think you will race ?
Probably not.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Somewhat; I'm willing to get a service manual and try!
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
For right now, 4T.
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I can get a CRF250X for $5900 OTD, or I can get a KTM 450EXC for less than $1000 more.

I've heard that "less is more", a CRF250X is plenty for a guy my size, and that a 250 4T can be more fun than a 450. But I've also read that the KTM 4T reliability is good, they have better quality components, and a 450EXC makes a stellar all-around bike. I haven't ridden either bike.

Should I get the CRF250X or spring the extra $$$ for a 450EXC?

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
I'd venture to say that considering your size you'd be happier on the 450. I'm about 180 and have ridden the CRF250X a bit, it felt a little underpowered but I'm not a revver. I'd guess if I was the kind of rider who stayed up in the RPMs I'd probably be faster on it.

jwussow74

Jun 14, 2006
two great bikes-
last weekend some friends and i did a seventy five or so mile ride up and over an area in Colorado called the Flat Tops. the ride took us up to around 10,500 ft. there was still some snow, quite a bit of mud and a lot of water to cross. the reason i'm telling you this is because one of the guys i went with was on a 250x. he is the same weight as you, but quite a bit shorter (5' 9" i think). when we got up toward the top it got kind of steep and there was some snow and mud to get through. i think it was a combination of rider ability and bike capability, but bottom line was that his bike DID NOT want to go up that hill in the snow and mud with him on it at 10,500'. that was the second ride for me on my EXC 450. i weigh 175, which can make a difference, but i think that even if i weighed more, my bike would have performed just like it did, which was incredibly well. the torque of the exc will allow you to climb a wall and the KTM's seem to be built rock solid as well. our other friend was on an exc 525 and he was in front most of the time and loving it. in my opinion, i think that my 250x friend at his size and as he progresses as a rider would have been much happier on a 450. (he's already talking about boring out his engine.)

Top Bottom