Blackie Dave

Sep 26, 2002
Bleed the forks after every ride? $500/month maintenance costs? GEEZ!!! I don't know ANYBODY who rides that hard!

My 2002 EXC400 has been a model of reliability. I've not had to do any emergency maintenance at all in nearly a year (which is about how long I've ahd the bike). But after every ride, I clean it thoroughly, give the chain & every pivoting part a shot of WD40 (except the shock mounts!!!), ring every spoke (and adjust if necessary), take a look at the air filter (and clean/replace it if necessary), and put a wrench on every part that I think might have loosened. And if I think the fork seals might be leaking..., I clean 'em with a piece of 35mm photographic film.

Every six months or so..., I take a look at the valve adjustments.

Every month or so..., I refresh the oil (filters every 2nd oil change).

I do bearing grease with every tire change.

Now..., I'm don't ride it like I'm racing it all the time. I just don't have the endurance. But it gets revved pretty hard every ride. It gets tossed down the occasional cliff. I get to dig it out of the brush once in awhile. It gets bounced off the trees, and it gets to ingest it's share of mud. All the normally-damaged plastic has been replaced. I mean..., it's not like I baby the darn thing.

And my average monthly costs (gas, oil, filters, tires, bits & pieces, etc.) probably don't get anywhere near $100.

It's not a KDX. You just can't put it away wet & ignore it. But the rewards are much greater than the KDX (believe me..., I know).

A little judicious PM will pay dividends.

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
KTMRandy, I agree the XR took more time to Overhaul than a 2 stroke EXC, comparing apples to oranges there. But how the heck did you go through 7 pistons, 2 complete crankshafts on an XR400 in approximately 3 years????
Even 7 pistons in a 2 stroke in that time is amazing. $500 a month in maintenence, wholly cow man you must be hard on stuff.

BlackieDave, I bleed my forks before every ride (best when forks are cool) this will extend the life of the seals like you cant imagine and is so easy.

As far as comparing to jap bikes, I have had all 5 by the way 2 stroke and 4 stroke, and nothing was as solid as my 01 CR250. That bike felt as solid when I sold it, as when it was new. I never replaced anything in 2 years on it except tires and chain, sprocket!!! Not even a piston or ring, and they were checked every time I cleaned the powervalve (twice a year).

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Yep, my 01 CR250 was an anvil of a bike. Nothing broke, handled like a dream and ran like a stripped-ass cat. It was particularly fond of the start straights.

The Katoom is sold now and it ran great, handled great but was a little more like a girlfriend that needs more attention (crying fork seals, shedding bolts non-stop even after loc-tite, weird computer readings-I know that bike hasn't gone 118mph). Would I buy one again, hell yeah!!

BTW, bleeding the forks does not save the 03 forks from crying like a jilted prom queen-its a wiper problem.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i've had numerous recent ktms & will say that the seals on the rsu 'zokes tended to leak, & the '03s' usd 1s seem to tend to leak, too. the 43mm usd's that i have had now on 3 bikes in my experience do not leak to any extraordinary degree, esp. if you use seal savers.

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
My '03 300 EXC is GREAT! 650 miles, no probs. And it came with Renthal Fat Bars, an enduro computer, wide pegs, good airfilter, the list goes on. And talk about a lugging monster!

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by agitt73
the 89 might have been alright but 90-91 models fried coils left and right
now the cagiva was a hot bike in the 80's

Cagivas, you can still get those!!!! Of course their dirt bikes say Husqvarna on the tank now.

Top Bottom