VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
Ok well I went against the advice of some of my friends and got a 96 KX 250 as my first dirt bike. I just wanted to ask if anyone had any suggestions on how to start out riding this bike? And any precautions so that I don’t hurt my-self.

Thanks

-Tiny-

Apr 2, 2003
haha ...Don't listen to him. Just start out slow. Have fun. Learn how to work the throttle ..be smooth, because that bike is going to have some kick down low. You'll manage, though, I'm sure. :)

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
is it your first bike ever? or just your first DIRTbike? if you already know the basic mechanics of riding then you'll be fine. if its your first bike, do yourself a favor and practice for a whole day in a big open field of some sort, preferably one without solid stuff to crash into: trees, stumps, big rocks, fences, etc. grass is a bonus too.

if you don't have access to a big open field, go to your closest ORV park. they usually have open areas and begginer level MX tracks (which aren't bad for learning on). the bonus of this is, if you get the hang of it quickly you'll get to roost around on a track the rest of the day.

if niether of these options is available, make sure your insurance is payed up, and have your affairs in order.

jeremiah

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
I have never ridden a motorcycle of any kind (dirt or street). I have been mountain biking ever since I was young but never dirt biking. I do have access to an open field and was planning on working on throttle control and braking for at least a couple of hours. In regards to the fly wheel weight what size should I get? Also the bike has a pro circuit "platinum" pipe and a pro circuit 304 muffler. Are these suitable for low end torque? Would installing items like different sprockets, reed valves, and a new pipe help to lessen the mid-range hit and give me more bottom end?

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
If your really bent on spending some $$ to mellow it out, send the jug to Eric Gorr for some low mid porting. But I'm going to have to jump on the band wagon here tell you that your nuts, learning on a 250 isn't a great idea, especailly if you've never riden a bike before. At least try and borrow a friends bike like an XR 200 or something tame to learn on. The first time you build a little confidence on that 250, you'll open it up and actually get into the real power, and could get into trouble real fast. Just don't wanna see anybody get hurt. I remember my first time on a 125, I almost killed myself. And I was just barely flirting with the powerband. Its just too much to start with, and could really turn you off from the sport. I know my sig. say ride over your head, you WILL learn, and I believe that, but learning on a 250 isn't just over your head, for a new dirtbike rider, its just out of your scope. Be careful man!

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
Yea I know this isn't going to be easy but I am going to take it very slowly and not plan on doing any serious riding untill I feel fully confident with the bike.

I know its going to be difficult but hopefully not as hard as Engineering @ TAMU!

atc3434` are you selling an 87 IROC or looking for one?

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Selling. I love, its so beautiful, but I can't afford yet another toy. Guitars and Bikes are enough for now. IF you interested, I'm in NY, but we can talk about it via e-mail.... atc3434, its an @hotmail account. Don't like put it all in one word, lest yet ANOTHER bot pick it up.

Serious, take it easy with the 250. I really almost walked away from dirtbiking when I first started because the KDX scared me. Never ridden before. Now I laugh at the KDX, and wish my 125 had more power!!!

kev_rm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
I got my 250 from a guy who did just that, walked away from it. Sure, it's too much for my skill level. Sure, I've banged myself up going over backwards. It's also a heck of a lot of fun to ride, and if you do stuff like the low to mid porting, a flywheel weight, torque reeds, etc, basically what you end up with a supercharged KDX200 motor.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Please be sure and let us know how your maiden voyage turns out. If you can bring a friend along to take pictures, that would be even better. :)

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
did you ever see that charmen comercial for the toilet paper where the kid puts all that toilet paper down the back of his pants and then falls on his ass you could learn from this

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
My best advice for your 1st time riding a bike is too get all the riding gear.. A pair of pants, knee cups, jersey, chest protector (w/a neck support device) a good helmet, goggles, gloves and a good pair of boots.. That way, when you fall, you can get back up.. Good luck and welcome too the FUN!!
RIck

GeoffM24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 19, 2003
Well it was nice knowing you while you were alive :laugh:

Have you ever wondered why strangers never ask you if they can hop on your dirt bike and ride it? There is a reason for that. It is very easy to hit the throttle at the wrong point and launch yourself into the woods or other hard objects.

To give you an idea of how much of a handful a bike can be a good buddy of mine just got an 02 YZ426F and that thing ate him for breakfast on his first day out. He was having a very tough time controlling it an even commented that he bought "too much bike" and he has ridden for years on an RM125, CR125 and a street bike.

Take your time and bring a friend who isn't riding so you don't try to keep. A dirt bike is unlike anything else I've ridden, it is extreme fun but it is also like trying to ride something that is always slightly out of control.

Good luck and take it slow.

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
Yea I also had an 87 IROC with 5.7. That was my first car and I loved it. Sold it about 2 years ago and got a 92 Z-28. I will probably sell that off in the next few months to get a truck. Anyways I will always have a special place in my heart for 3rd Gen Camaros.

About the bike, I am making sure that I have every piece of protective gear that I can get. Good boots, chest protector, helmet, elbow and knee pads, kidney belt, and what ever else I need.

What about my other question? Is there anything relatively inexpensive that I can do to the bike to lesson the mid range hit? What size fly wheel weight should I use? I have about a month until I take the bike out on the maiden voyage and have some time to work on the bike. And yes I will let you' all know how it goes...

Thanks

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Being a beginner, just ride the bike the way it is. Whether you put a flywheel weight etc... on it or not, it'll still have that 2 stroke "hit". You're going to have to learn good throttle control regardless of any mods you do to the bike. Just be sure and keep your weight as far forward as possible when accelerating (put your nuts on the gas cap). :) Does anyone want to start a betting pool on how many times he's going to loop-out?? :laugh:

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
When a two stroke is revved up/in the power band, a small amount of throttle input can/will result in an amazing amount of power. Throttle control is something that must be paid attention too.

Practice stopping and going in 1st gear. Keep doing it until you feel comfortable with using the clutch to start and remembering to pull it in when you stop. Then move to changing gears and repeat a few times, learning to know what gear you are in and making sure you are in 1st when starting.

Sit forward on the bike. Most beginners tend to sit in the middle or back part of the seat. This makes you 'bobble' in corners (not balanced and tend to fall over).

When moving around on the bike or in an off balance situation, DO NOT DROP YOUR SHOULDER. This will cause you to grap a handful of gas and that is usually not good......

In order to improve, you must have respect for the bike and what it can do. If you are afraid of the bike, you might as well park it.....

good luck and have a large time.

Dave

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
I'm not sure what type of exhaust valve you have on your bike, if any. On my bike there is an external adjustment that lets me vary the spring tension. Standard tension is 90 degrees clockwise from zero tension. If I go back to only 45 or even zero tension this causes the valve to open prematurely at lower rpm's and reduces the compression. It runs a lot flatter and smoother for more of the lower rpm range. The Hit comes on a lot later in the rpm range and is not as severe as stock setting. It's a 2 minute adjustment.

The first year I had my 250 I kept the spring at zero or 45 degrees clockwise. It helped dramatically for woodsriding and smoothed out the performance, although it wasn't as fast. It was plenty fast for me, and a lot less tiring to ride.

My adjustment is on the left side of the head and is a circular fitting about the size of a dime. It has (2) 8mm bolts holding it in place. When you loosen these the spring should slowly return to zero tension with a little prodding.

See what your manual says about this. Maybe this adjustment will make the bike perform more to your abilities until you really get used to it. I found the hit tired me out in the beginning, especially in the woods, and me not being offroad for about 20 years.

Hope It Helps and Good Luck. The Gear such as boots, Gloves, Chest protector, knee/shin guards helmet of course, elbow guards seem like a big investment initially, but have let me walk away from many a wreck so far. Many suppliers offer nice deals on gear packages and save you $$$.

Chief

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
good idea about the power valve, anything to lesson the hit of that bike espeically without spending money is a good idea for a beginner.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I wouldn't do anything to it...don't waste your money and learning time on a bunch of mods. Ride it a gear or two higher and learn to control the throttle as others have said. Get the safety gear like rickyd said. Start in the open field like beer_stud said and as you get comfortable, do more challenging stuff. When you jump it the first several times....do it a in higher gear also. When you are on the gas, keep your weight forward. Also, don't ride the clutch, but keep your finger close in case it is starting to get away from you.

I went through the same thing on a CR250 In December of 01. Bought the flywheel weight, bought taller sprockets, but I didn't do any porting or pipe stuff. Well the thing would still toss me on my butt even with the flywheel weight and gearing so I still had to learn how to ride it. Put it back the way it came and rode a gear or two higher and that worked. Now, I am real glad I didn't go into the motor to tame it.

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
How do I check if I have an power valve? Where is it located? And if I don't have one could I add one?

In terms of riding a gear or two higher; you mean to start out in 2nd and go up through the gears? This won't damage my bike?

Also let me know what the spread is for my first ride.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
your bike has a power valve as far as adjusting it i have never done that on a kx250 but follow what chief said and the valve is on the left side of the bike located on the cylinder. as far a starting in 2nd this won't hurt your bike (all racers start in 2nd on a 250)but im not sure if i would start in 2nd because you will have to give it more throttle to start off without stalling i would start in 1st and as soon as you get moving a little before engine starts to rev shift into 2nd you will want to ride this bike at low rpm's for a while and very graduly increase rpm's but be VERY carefull because when you twist the throttle on your bike you'll think to yourself ooo gee thats not to bad and then as soon as the bike hits a little higher rpms the bike will go into whats called its "powerband" and it will have a VERY sudden violent increase in power and if you are not carefull the bike will rip you right off the back of it and if you try to hold on it will just flip over backwards.just take it vary slow as when you think you are ready and can handle this bike... take my word you are not ready! it will take some time but if you are very patient you will get the hang of it and like it said when you think you are ready to go faster DON'T! beginners make this mistake all the time thinking the are ready when they are not. you will feel in control but this is an illusion and don't start to belive it or you will be sorrie.it takes a long time to master a motocross bike. just take your time and have fun but never forget you are riding a race bike it is not a toy if not respected you will get very hirt but if you take your time you will be fine and have lots and lots of fun its a great sport.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Like john said, you start out in first but quickly shift to second as opposed to revving it out. Ride in the low end of third gear or fourth as opposed to wound out in second. The bike is less likely to kick you off if you keep it somewhat bogged down in higher gears.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom