KX 250 fork guard guide removal - why?

jruggery

Apr 6, 2003
I was looking at some GNCC pics and noticed that a lot of KX riders remove the upper guides (that clamp to the bottom of the stanchion tubes) for the stock plastic fork slider guards. Anyone know why?

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
For the older style fork guards I removed mine as well. Only reason for doing so was because the rubbing would make them look beat very fast. They probably do it so that the sponsor decals don't get rubbed off. My only concern was that the fork guards on '03 and older KX's are pretty small and flimsy but I never broke one and they worked fine for me like that for a full season.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I also wondered if I could get away with removing these. I think the Pro Circuit GNCC bikes have the Showa works kit, so they would have a little bit different guards than ours.

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
Maybe the upper guides get in the way of the 'starting devices' (wot a silly name!) that alot of riders use these days, you know the thing that locks the forks down until the first turn.

Can Can Kev

Feb 24, 2003
it looks cooler, if u look at the yamaha of troy bikes on all the yamahas they take the guides off too , u can see the forks better and it looks trick, i took mine off my yz 125 looks alot better and havent had any problems

Can Can Kev

Feb 24, 2003
SULLY said:
Maybe the upper guides get in the way of the 'starting devices' (wot a silly name!) that alot of riders use these days, you know the thing that locks the forks down until the first turn.

thats not the reason, my friend has a 03 kx 125 he has a works connectiong holeshot device and he still has his on u just have to cut a notch in in the guide... :think:

Top Bottom