TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
I need a little help. My son is 12 and has been riding for about 6 months. He is 5', 90lbs. We do mostly woods and he follows me at Trials events, but at the last event he got on the Motocross track and had a blast. I don't see him racing motocross (mom would have heart attack) but he would like to be able to play on one occaisionally. He currently has a 73 Yamaha GT80 (2 stroke about the size of a PW80). Has gotten pretty good on the GT80 and has started getting some air, so I figured it was time to move up as his bike is severely suspension challenged.

We were considering the TTR125L but the dealers are all out of the L's and only have the electric start model which weigh about 13 lbs more (185lbs). He is tip toe on the TTR125LE and there is virtually no suspension adjustment as the fork clickers come right up under the bars. The LE cost about $2300 out the door.

The other option that I found today is a 96 KX100 with a flywheel weight. The KX weighs about 146lbs. It is all stock and in pretty good shape, just a couple small dings in the pipe. I know the guy by reputation and he takes good care of his stuff. It has a new front tire and newer rear. Comes with an extra front fender and a new graphics kit. The KX has alot of suspension adjustability. We could raise the forks and install longer suspension rods and shave the seat (I guess we could shave the TTR's seat too) until he got better/taller, then raise it back up. The KX is only $1200 and has a new top end and lower seals, etc with 1 hour on them. This was professionally done by a local shop.

Here's the question: Could a newbie like my son ride a KX100 or would it be way too radical even with a fly wheel weight? I don't what too scare him off. He wants to go look at it tomorrow. Give me some pros and cons. Can the KX be mellowed futher until he is ready to handle it?

Thanks,

Tom

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
I learned on a CR80 at about his age. It was probably not ideal as I had no prior experience. But it all worked out well and it didnt take long to get the hang of a pipey motox bike. He could get used to riding it before he starts getting it in the power band. I just shifted early before the revs got up in the band and gradually worked my way up. I'm guessing that with your experience that you know how these bikes behave and could coach him well. I would think that if he has the need for speed in his heart now that the ttr might not satisfy him for too long.

Have you looked at the CRF150? I am considering one for my wife and 12 yr old daughter right now. I dont know much about it though and i think it's on the heavy side. But it's power delivery might be better than the KX in the trails. If my wife & daughter already knew how to ride and how use the clutch I would be getting them a cr85. (I just like 2-strokes).

How did he do on the track? Does he like green?

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
We had a kx80 that my wife rode. When my oldest (11yrs old) needed a bigger ride,previously on a kx 60, we moved him up to the 80. He rides trails and a little on the mx track. After a few times on the 80 I decided he needed a 4 stroke. I bought a ttr 125L. He loves it. Even on the mx track hes faster on it than the 80. It's all about the confidence. The TTR is a great bike. I'll buy another for my youngest.

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
Well we bought the TT-R125E last friday. Called Abernathy's in Union City (they were on the way to the event last weekend) Thurs. afternoon and the had a standard model without elec. start in stock. When we got there Fri. morning they only had electric start models left. Since I had offered a down payment over the phone and the salesman said not neccessary, they gave me an electric start model for the same price. :yeehaw: That's about a $300 discount off of the best price around! I was really impressed with how they stood behind what they said. (Good thing I asked for the salesman's name on the phone) We rode down at Clarksville, TN at a Trials event all weekend. What a great bike for my son. :thumb: I couldn't hardly get him off it to eat. We lowered forks in the t-clamps and softened the rear spring a little and he can almost flat foot it. He actually competed on the beginner line in the event of Saturday and completed all three loops. The loop was slimey and full of small logs and tree roots and was probably tougher than the Trials. Anyway, he had a blast and it's the perfect bike for him right now and the magic button came in way handier than I ever imagined. Thanks to everyone that frequents this forum to give advice. :worship:

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
We got our daughter a TT-125 about 6 weeks ago, and same situation: she won't stop riding until the tank runs dry. At first I was against the extra weight of the electric start, but now I'm a big fan of it. Just what a beginner needs and it frees up Dad to do his own thing instead of constantly lending a leg. Besides, you can take the electric stuff off easily if you want to strip it down for racing. Great bike! Did you know that Yamaha sells more of these than anything else they make?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom