hitman30

Apr 23, 2008
I am wanting to upgrade and I am looking for a QUICK trail bike. I have considered the xr250 but I would like to have more snap in the power area and something a little lighter. I have also considered a kdx200... I really like this bike but just cant seem to find one! Last but not least, I am looking at a 99' kx125. I love the lower weight and nimbleness of a mx'r but not so sure about the high rev power band for trail riding. I am a newbie to 2stroke power and some what of a novice to riding in general. With a 10oz flywheel weight and a few more teeth in the rear sprocket, would I have a decent bike for trail riding?

I will be riding very little, if any, single track stuff. It will mostly be wide, fast trails and some dinking around in the woods.

Thanks ahead of time for the insight!!!

jdager

Apr 26, 2008
Hey,
I just bought a 97 kx125 about a week ago, and it was my first time ever on any kind of bike. I play around with it in the woods a lot and it does just fine, it is stock. yu just have to keep the revs up and work the clutch, which you will get good at, but thats not a bad thing. I am like you and love the raw power snap and the light weight of the bike, but then again, I havent rode anything else. I think you will be happy with the bike though. I switched the spark plug one stage hotter, from a 9 to an 8 and that seemed to help and has kept me from fouling so many plugs running at the low rpms.
Jim

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Wide fast trails quad and jeep trails (like an MX course) are great fun on a 125 MX bike, especially if you ride agressively.

Medium speed single track woods trails without mountains would also be a blast. Especially if the suspension is set up for rocks and roots.

Mountainous terrain with lots of steep and technical hill climbs and brutal single track would be less fun due to the power delivery and lack of low end.

Super high speed (desert) type terrain would be fun, unless you are trying to keep up with guys on much bigger more powerful bikes.

The light weight and low cost is always good.

Top Bottom