Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
I have always wanted a 500 two-stroke just because I think it would be a blast! I recently stumbled upon a deal that I am thinking about very seriosuly. A guy over on KTM talk just bought a leftover 04 (last year) KX500. He claims to have ridden it 4 times with an estimated 10-12 hours on the bike before deciding it is too much for him. And based on the close-up pictures he sent, I believe him. The bike has a PC pipe and S/A, desert tank, and handguards. He is looking to trade down in brute power, so I offered up my 04 250SX, thinking he'd say "no thanks." My 250 has 123 hours and has all the usual woods-riding armor. Far better shape than average, though. He wants to trade straight-up, no cash involved. I've only ridden one 500, it was an 01 Honda. Loved the power of it, thats not what concerns me. I just wonder how poorly the 500 will handle, how overweight it will be, and so on. I completely understand that this bike will be nowhere close to an ideal woods bike, but I'm interested in the fun factor here. I'm pretty confident I'm a good enough rider to handle the power, but I just don't have much seat time on one of these bikes and wonder how outdated it will feel. I'm a mid-pack B-level woods rider, 5'9", 165 lbs. And in addition, would this be a wise idea financially? If I don't end up liking the bike, could I at least get out of it for more than my KTM is worth? Input appreciated...

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
My 250 and the 500 in question:

1527518170_l.jpg

MVC-048S.JPG

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Holy mother of pearls there is no way I'd ride with my stuff behind the top of that tank lmao. Go for it and get rid of that tank before the first test ride :)

10-12 hours....I'd get a close up look in person before i'd believe that.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
MrLuckey said:
Holy mother of pearls there is no way I'd ride with my stuff behind the top of that tank lmao. Go for it and get rid of that tank before the first test ride :)

10-12 hours....I'd get a close up look in person before i'd believe that.

That was my first thought when I saw the tank too :whoa: He has the stocker too(you can see it sitting there in the photo) so no worries there. He has sent me lots of close-ups of the frame, cases, tires, chain, sprockets, etc and the bike looks like it has very little time. His guesstimate of 10-12 hours may be a bit conservative but I'd guess no more than 15-20 based on the pics. I'm meeting him in Amarillo in two weeks to make the swap if all goes well, and if I don't change my mind before then :nod:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Brian, if'n you really want a KX500, and want it modernized a bit, maybe talk to AJ: http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=145140

I'm wondering if you could swing a deal for just the chassis work if you already have the engine. Also, I have seen where guys have stuffed that engine in a more modern perimeter KX250 steel chassis . . . options galore!

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
He only has 12 posts, therefore I'd lean towrds being overly cautious.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Pred, I'd darn near kill for one of those Service Honda works of art. Always been at the top of my list, especially since they came out with the Kawi! The funds are just limited right now, and thats why this deal struck my fancy, no cash involved. I suppose that would definately be an option down the road if I already had a good motor for The guys at Service Honda to put into a frame.

And yeah, he only has 12 posts and that kind of concerned me, but this will be a face to face deal, no shipping or such. If I drive to meet him and the bike is garbage, I'll walk away from the deal. Still trying to decide if it would be a good move...

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
if you made the trade, it still might be worth it to watch the want ads for a roached out KX250 for a nice steel perimeter frame.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
That 500 will be a handfull Brian. But I'm sure you are good enough to ride it. I'll bet you'll have plenty of places to wind it out in Texas! Your dad may not care for you roosting him a bunch though. :cool: :laugh:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Can't say I have personal experience with either bike but the KX500 seems like it would be going back to a dinosaur IMO. As you stated out of the budget but a 500AF is likely the only 500 I would consider. If you simply must get the 500 itch out of your system how about searching for a real steal of a deal on an older one (Have they changed much in the last 15 years?) that would allow you to keep the pumpkin?

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
They haven't changed anything on the Kawi since 1988 so it is definately a dinosaur. But then again people say even modern KTMs handle terrible and feel funny and I don't see it, so maybe, just maybe...

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
After much thought, I decided to stick with the 250 and get some head work and porting done to keep me entertained for a while :) But I still want a 500, just not as my main bike. If I can scrape up the funds I'll start looking for a cheap one I can turn into a project bike. :cool:

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Try looking on craigslist. I see a lot of older 2 strokes for cheap!
Theres a 1991 KX 500 for $1300, for example.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
As to the power of the 500's, that wasnt my concern as much as the handling (the bike wants to stand up in the corners). The 500's are heavier and you will feel the difference in the "flickability." After spending 3 years on my WR500 (and modding it considerably), I was amazed at the difference in handling when I rode a 250 for a few weeks (while replacing the rod in the 500). By the time the 500 was back together, I had already decided to pick up a 250 and keep the 500 (and just have both). Rode the yz for a few months and then took the 500 back out. Ended up having one of the harder wrecks I have had to date (knock on wood) when I was unable to finesse the 500 like I was used to being able to do on the 250. The power is addictive, and I too wouldnt mind having one of the Service Honda's (have ridden 5 of them to date). All said though, my opinion is that the 250 will almost always handle better (for the majority of us). The seat \ tank junction on the pic you have, will be uncomfortable at best. Lastly, the vibration on the larger 2-strokes is noticeable compared to the smaller bikes.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Whoa ...

Unless you want to move to New Mexico where that sucker can stretch it's legs, I'm saying you made the correct decision.

I rode a KTM 250F with a 300 kit and a 13.5 / 1 compression ratio ... running on race gas. The throttle was as crisp as anything I have ever ridden. My lord, it was sweet ... and it may be for sale in a few months ... Mmmmmm

Mmmmm ... no comments from Grady :)

Top Bottom