Line 6 vs. Marshall

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
I've been getting ready for a big gig in a few weeks down in the city. Been practicing with my band a lot, we are finally getting things down cold! Awesome! Well, my Marshall Valvestate VS265R just crapped out on me. (For those of you not firmiliar with guitar stuff... a VS265R is a nice big loud amp) Its probably the preamp tube. What a pain in the butt! Not to worry, I did have the extened service plan. So I went to the music store, they are sending it out for service, and got me a loaner... a very nice, or so anything with a pricetag of $700 used should be, Line 6 Flextone XL, another 100+ watt 2x12, but with all sorts of amp models and stuff. Its the supposed CR500AF of guitar amps. Get it to practice and it SUCKS! I was so mad I could almost throw it. (Probably not far though, its pretty heavy) It's so muddy it makes me sick. And on top of its lack of cutting tone, its a pain to set up all this stupid amp models, and feeds back like crazy, even at lower volumes! I miss the Marshall now more than ever. I can't believe something so expensive and something that has recived so much praise from the guitar world is such a piece of junk. Life can be so rude! :ugg:

I know, this is predominatly a dirtbike sight, but anybody that likes loud engines might just like loud amps too! Anybody else out there had any experiences with Line 6 stuff, or any other good guitar stuff stories?

Sorry to bother all of you that could care less about this guitar junk, but this is the flame board. And I'm burning like a 40oz bottle used for a Moltov ****tail! :p

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Yeah, thats a good man! I try to my best, but it was either the 2x12 combo, or a Valvestate head with a crate 4x12. But after fooling with that stupid Line 6, I might just go back a borrow that till the VS265 gets back. What a pain.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I have played nearly all of those new fangled "modeling amps", including the CyberTwin, and none of them have impressed me very much. I still think that nothing sounds better than a blackface Deluxe Reverb with every knob set to twelve!

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Sounds familiar.About ten years ago I remember Mesa Boogie(sp?) was like that. A guitarist I was working for had the Marshall head and 1/2 stack, replaced the head with a Mesa Boogie. It had gotten all the rave reviews. One of those "must have" toys. Well, it probably took him 2 months to get the knobs in the back set where he wanted them, and he still didn't get the sound he used to get out of his Marshall.

Byrd Man

Aug 24, 2000
I bought a Marshall VS100RH head and a 4/12 Marshall cabinet a couple years ago and it rocks. Nice clean tone and a mean crunch. It sounds good to me. I was leaning toward the Line 6 until I went to Mars and played around with the amps. Line 6 has some cool effects but that get old after a while. I figured I could just buy the POD from Line 6 and run it through my Marshall if I wanted those effects, but haven't bought the POD yet. That Line 6 stuff was really hyped up but just didn't cut it for me.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
It seems like every decade has its fad. Back during the seventies everyone played MusicMan amps. I bought a 1x12 65w combo back in ’79 and I still have it today. I used to be quite a snob about my equipment (it had to be designed by Leo) but I’ll tell ya, that old MusicMan sounds like crap compared to the Peavey that I play now. I don’t know if youz guys have played any Peavey amps, but they sound really nice and rival amps that are two or three times more money. I’ve never played a 5150 but I hear they are a very nice high gain unit. I am more of a Classic Series type of player and have played almost every configuration in that series. I currently own a DeltaBlues 1x15 (my favorite) that I precede with a Fender ’63 Reissue Reverb unit. Great LOUD clean tone and plenty of gain, if needed, on the other channel. I have several amps but the Peavey is the only one I would play out with. It sounds great and if I lose it, so what, they are a dime-a-dozen.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Have you tried Daddy's Junky Music? http://www.daddys.com/ny.shtml

Yup, thats where I always shop actually. Thats were I've gotten my Marshall, my Fender Jazz V, my BXR100, and 4 track (which is for sale if anybody is interested) Daddy's used to have some bad people working for them, at least the one in Mattydale (Syracuse suburb) There was one cool guy though, Johnny. He was an awesome dude, got me some extra lowered prices! That have all new guys and management in there now... there are pretty good dudes. I'm glad I got the extended warrentte when I got the Marshall, isn't costing me anything to have it fixed, other than not having it. And they were good about the loaner too... "Take any used amp you want." Good guys, good prices. They have tons of used stuff online too!
:cool:

380ePete

Dec 27, 2000
I had Johnson JM60 modeling amp for a while. I thought it was cool at first because it was so versatile, with all kind effects and such. I sold the thing because I realized it just didn't sound anywhere near as good as a real tube amplifier. I think guitars are just better suited for something analog.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Probably 99% of the tube amplifiers have 12AX7 pre-amp tubes. It’s a thirty-second job to change one provided they are accessible and they are not encased in a metal can. I change them about once a year but I would change them much more often if I were getting paid to play. I also switch them around between the stages in the preamp to find which combination produces the best tone since they are typically not “matched” like output tubes. I carry the old set with me as spares. I have never had one fail completely but I have had them “go microphonic” and produce a piercing high-pitched squeal at higher volumes. You can check them for this condition by lightly tapping on them with your finger tip. This tapping should not produce any noise from the amp.

Here’s a good source for replacements:

http://www.newsensor.com/

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
Let me tell you, you can bag on Crate all you want but not me! I have had the same Crate power amp for about 9 years and had no problems with it. I have used every kind of cabinet that you can think of but I came bcak to Crate because they are the most reliable. At one time, we opened for a band called Crimson Thorn. They were very heavy! Our other guitarist was so proud of his high dollar, high end stuff. I had an RP6, my Crate power amp Crate Celestion cab, and an EQ pedal. The guitarists from Crimson Thorn flipped out at the sound I got. They could not believe that all that heavy crunch came from my rig that was less than $1000.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Yeah, there are all kinds of great low dollar pieces of equipment to be had. They all build some great ones and some dogs. Fender makes some of the best sounding amps (Twin Reverb Reissue) and also some of the worst (Prosonic). I have had lots of comments on the tone I get from my $400.00 JV TexMex Strat and my $400.00 30 watt Peavey amp. I have a $175.00 Danelectro reissue that just flat nails that late seventies Jimmy Page tone! It’s almost to the point where I would feel foolish for spending $1000.00 for a guitar or an amp anymore.

I have never played a Crate amp but I have read some good reviews.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
I started playing their combos about 13 years ago because they had a great heavy sound right out of the box. They were the poor man's answer to sounding good.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I've played thru & ran sound for about every kind of amp one could imagine.
I've owned peavey (like most every one else at one time or another), Crate, a few Marshalls, Laney, Dean Markley and more that I can't remember.
I currently use a half stack 4 x 10 Marshall cab powered by a Carver pm120 but my sound comes from a Digitech 2112. I've had a couple of problems with the 2112 in the last 6 or 7 years but I always get exactly the sound I want from it. One thing that I think makes a difference is I use PSM600 in-ear monitors so I don't have to worry about room abience altering my stage sound. In fact I have put my amp in the bathroom for a few gigs as not to have any stage volume (sound mans dream) and it worked perfectly. The FOH engineer can correct mix EQ for the room and your gtr will sound great. With the in-ears I hear exactly what my amp sounds like without the confussion of running through heavy saturated monitor eq'ing, I monitor flat.

I'm considering trying out one of the Line-6 rack mount modules and not use a cab at all. I've heard quite a few gtrist do it and it sounds great. I think it all depends on if you know how to set it up to you taste.

As far big amps go, that is if you're looking for some grunge sounds, I like the way the Soldanos, 5150's, of coarse Marshalls and the Crate "Blue Voodoo" sound. My favorite "driven" sound is a big cab with a relatively low wattage (30 to 50) tube amp. On our last CD I used a VOX AC30 class A and a Marshall 50 watt tube class A amp. Cool sounds.

I carry a REX 45 watt combo for a backup amp.

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
As far as Marshalls go I still think that the old 50watt (small lettering on amp) that was made in the late 60s or early 70s was the best sounding Marshall ever made (Blackmore, Malmstein and others liked them a whole lot). The sound at low volume (unlike the newer ones) was horrible but when you got past 1/2 volume the thing totally came alive. I wish I still had mine. The problem with those amps was you just couldn'r get a good clean sound. I've been using an old Fender Twin lately. I agree with Papakeith about the funky push pull knobs and set up crap on the Boogie amp but I always thought that Boogie amps sounded great. There's no doubt that the style you play has allot to do with the kind of amp that's right for you. I bought a Digitech RP2000 a couple of months ago and I'm amazed at how far they've come with amp simulators and effects in general. It's got to the point where all you really need is an amp that has a good clean sound and a good processor can do the rest. Besides carrying around those big huge bottoms really SUCKS.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by KXKen
carrying around those big huge bottoms really SUCKS.

Amen to that bro..

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by BadgerMan
I have played nearly all of those new fangled "modeling amps", including the CyberTwin, and none of them have impressed me very much. I still think that nothing sounds better than a blackface Deluxe Reverb with every knob set to twelve!
Add in to JBL's and you can wail with the best of them.:)

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
Never used Line6..
but have a long list of others..
Soldano,Mesa,Carvin etc
current fav is a Marshall cab with an ADA power amp and digitech preamp/processor

seems odd if your Marshall just needed a pre amp tube
why the local shop would send it in though..>shrugs<
good luck

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I would also have to defend Crate a bit. Gotta love the stereo chorus on the GX130C, plus having a stereo amp is cool these days with all of the stereo effects processors available (I don't play in a band).

Jeff, does the in-ear monitor also shut out other noise? It's tough enough for me hearing with studio headphones (that shut out some of the sound of the room).

The pre-amp tubes should last about twice as long as the power tubes...probably two years unless you play really often. 12AX7s can be had for about $10 or less.You probably just got a bad tube...there is some real junk being made out there. From what I read, the hot setup is Sovtek or Tesla pre amp tubes, and Svetlana power tubes. I have Svetlanas and love them, but haven't had a chance to try different pre-amp tubes.

You sure have my vote on there being no replacement for a good Marshall all-tube. I play a les paul with a JCM 800 (50 watt) thru a Mesa 4x12.

Effects...I'm sure they have come a long way, but I still say good old Boss pedals or just straight thru a good amp is tough to beat. It gets old real quick stooping down to mess with all of the menus on the Digitek, etc. I suppose with a rack mount, it would be better. Call me old fashioned, but I would rather just turn a knob and set it than have to battle with all of those menus.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by motometal
Jeff, does the in-ear monitor also shut out other noise? It's tough enough for me hearing with studio headphones (that shut out some of the sound of the room).

I have custom molded ear monitors and with both ears in it does shut out all ambiance noise. In the smaller venues I usually run only my left ear so I can hear the audience and my band mates when private talking is needed. For the bigger venues I run both ears and we mic the room. The cool thing about the PSM600's that you have 3 modes of functionality. Mono, stereo and mono mix, we run the mono mix mode. This is our basic setup for monitoring: Each person in the band gets they're own mix plus a full band mix, running in mono mix mode you can fade between your personal mix and the band mix all done from your belt pack. When I sit back and grove my mix is perfect, I hear the entire band mix just like it was an "out front" mix only with my guitar a little louder. When I sing I hear the band mix in the back ground and my vocals are on top of everyone else's.

The custom ear molds fit all the way inside your ear past the first bend so the music is right in your head making the need for superfluous volume unnecessary. At the end of the night, when it's beddy bye time, you don't have the heard of crickets dancing in your head from ear fatigue. I can tell you from experience, THE EAR MONITORS DON'T LIE! You can hear exactly what you sound like so when you first start using them you'll wonder why anyone ever wanted to hear your band because of the poor vocals. Another plus is when you hear yourself that good you don't strain your voice. I can sing all night with ear monitors but put a wedge in front of me and I'll be flat by the 3rd set.

Drummers if you use in ear monitoring I recommend a "shaker" mounted to your stool. Every time you kick the bass drum you'll think you're knocking everyone's drink off the table, talk about feeling the music.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Sounds excellent, Jeff. this is very interesting. Probably a lot of stubborn people out there that would love your setup once they gave it a chance (or if they could spare the cash).

I usually play with earplugs in, just because I like to feel the vintage 30 "shakers" moving air, and wow, can a loud rig trash your hearing in a hurry!

Top Bottom