JEEP FARM

Jan 21, 2006
Hey guys!

I'm at the point of getting the old bearing races out of the linkage. I am going to be installing the new parts, and was wondering if there was anything that I should know before hand.

I have never done this before and was just looking for some helpfull idears!

Thanks in advance, Jay

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
A propane or MAPP torch to heat things a little bit is good. I put a dab of some high temp disk brake grease I have on the area being heated. I know the drop point of the grease is around 400 degrees F. When the grease melts, it's hot enough. I do this so I don't risk overheating the part. Look for thin wire clips holding the bearings in, you could do some damage if you drive the bearings out without removing these clips. I use an o-ring pick to clean the dirt out and probe for these clips as well as remove them. A vice and sockets work to remove the bearings, but I've had success with a hammer and sockets when tools were limited. The socket has to be a close fit because the bearings are very thin. I heat to install as well, grease after installation so the heat doesn't melt the grease, then install the seals once the part has cooled. Honda says to use Moly Paste instead of grease. I use that or an aluminum complex grease as they are more resistant to washing out in water. Sta-Lube has several aluminum complex greases including their high temp disk brake grease and their marine grease.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom