railer

Nov 4, 2005
I just recently ordered a new linkage bearing kit (by pivot works) for my 98 RM125, and I have not yet tackled installing it. I'm wondering how hard it is to do. I have pretty basic set of tools and I know my way around a garage (just don't have one at the moment), but I'm lacking bearing removal tools and such things specific to this job. I was wondering what I'm getting myself into and what snags I might hit. Thanks for your input.

Brian.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
The hardest part is getting the old bearings out and the new ones back in. I either bring it to work and use a press or use a long threaded rod with an assortment of washers and sockets to push them out. Heating the alum helps removing them and freezing the bearings and heating the alum helps getting them in. When you reinstall the new ones use assembly lube. It will make it much easier to install and to remove the next time.

motoracer25

May 3, 2006
you need a torch to heat up the seals

If you dont want to put new ones in and wait for a pro to do it you can take out the needle bearings and roll them onto a rag and get all of the old greese off and clean the insides of the cases that hold them and then greese it all up and it should be fine for a while

MXWRENCH

Jun 15, 2006
Linkage Bearings Out!!!!!!!!!!!

I just did my 97YZ250 Linkage bearings last night. First time in my life, did it in under 4 hours.

Basically I used a large socket on the OUT side (opposite side from where the bearing is being pushed) and a smaller socket with close to the same Outer Diameter as the bearing itself, on the IN side.

I used a bench vice to push the small socket through the linkage, forcing the bearing into the large socket on the opposite side. The vice jaws were not very wide and once the small socket disappeared in the linkage, it was difficult to find the right spacer to put between the small bearing and the vice jaw. This was easily remedied by using a long bolt, with a locking nut screwed al the way down to the head, the bolt slid through the small socket hole where the wrench handle goes. Everytime the jaws closed fully on the linkage, I opened them up again and UNWOUND the locking nut on the long bolt, pushing the bolt outwards to the vice jaws, thus closing the gap and enabling another push of the bearing.

At first it took a while but seemd like the best option, I am not keen on pounding parts, especialy expensive ones.

Anyway job done, I got the idea how to do this from this site, so far in a week i have solved 2 very expensive problems by doing them myself.

Thanks everyone :nener: :ride:

xcracer72

Uhhh...
May 28, 2006
Yea the socket works great, it helps to turn the socket on the extension so you have a larger area contacting the old bearing

clean the parts very well
Use the best grease you can find (preferably the blue variety)
Gently install the new bearings, they should almost slide in if you have cleaned the parts correctly.

Do it right unless you want more practice :bang: :bang:

railer

Nov 4, 2005
I pounded out the old ones with a socket and hammer and used a long bolt, a nut, and a series of mix-matched washers to put the new ones in. Worked like a charm. :)

Brian.

Top Bottom