Little help "plug reading" BR7ES

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I just started using 7's in my bikes. they seem to to be working great. they no longer load up quite so easily, and clean out a lot quicker. when I get out of the tight stuff. but when I pulled my plug and read it. it all most looked like it was running lean. the insulator was white in color, the electrod was black in color? with this being a hotter plug should I be alarmed? the bike is running great!!!!!! 45/155 AS @ 3/4 out 96 200 bored to 220, gorr ported, n/lid, rad valve :confused:

Last edited:

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
7's are the way to go for most KDX riders. You are probably looking too high up on the insulator. Check out this article. It was written by Gordon Jennings and it's by far the best thing I've read on selecting heat ranges and reading plugs.

http://www.strappe.com/plugs.html

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
I tried a br7es and found it to be slightly lean....maybe what you are experiencing. I have since switched to the BR8EG. Its perfect in color and never fouls! I fouled the regular "8ES" like crazy but the "8EG" is the hot ticket.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
70 marlin, so which one of your KDX's do you like better? The Fredette 220, or the 200 with the big bore kit?

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
The 99 seems to be a bit tighter. and a little better of a tractor. but the 96 is is getting there fast. I just really don't like the rad valve all that much. the 96 is jetted a lot closer to what it needs. the 99 still needs to be jetted down on the pilot a bit maybe to a 40 or 38. and I'd like to try to fatten the main a little bit maybe to a 155. I've lost some kick it in the butt hill climbing power when I dropped the main too 152. so there's still work to be done on the 99. if they ever quit making me work OT. I'll get to it:<( ?

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Try this, it's a big help for reading plugs.

sparkplug.gif

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
explain a lot! thanks, any tips on removel of threaded base to read insulator easier?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
70, Just use a flashlight. You want about a 1mm black ring at the base.

btw...there is absolutely no way an ES plug fouls more than a EG. or visa-versa.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Don't let Jaybird's post mislead you. It DOES work. Try it. Jaybird haven't you learned that there are no rules when it comes to dirtbikes? And to beat all you give me bad "mojo" because of my post to help others. The finer electrode allows ignition to work ever so slightly more efficiently therefore ever so slightly allowing it to burn off just enough to not foul. Try it you will see. My theory whether its right or not, but one things is for sure is that an EG will never foul as easily as an ES. Ask around ol' wise one.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I thought I had the jetting on line with the 96, but with the weather warming up . I still think it needs to be leaned it out further? Jr ran it 50 miles this weekend said it still felt a bit loaded up/ did still clean out though. but after the ride I pulled the plug and it was black black carbon. my 99, I was waiting on some jet's to come in. there here, so in goes the 38 . hopfully that get me closer to my goals.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Braahp is correct. There isn't any argument against what he said..but then, there never is against correctness.

The whole point of the 'g' fine wire is to fire under marginal conditions, in marginal systems (like total loss ignition systems....HELLO!!!!...can you say 'dirt bike'?)

there is absolutely no way an ES plug fouls more than a EG. or visa-versa

....is an incorrect statement.

.......and this mojo thing is a bunch of crap!

Top Bottom