Feb 25, 2001
Im pretty close to purchasing a F-350 PSD 4X4 with a 12.5" lift kit and 40" tires

My current truck im loading bikes into is a 2X4 F-350. I can load them myself with no help.
Im curious as to how hard its going to be trying to load bikes into a 12.5 lift + however many more inches are added from the taller tires? Anyone have a truck this high and can still load bikes into the back please let me know how you do this?

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Use a long ramp and something to step on. With the bike in gear and running walk it up the ramp. Don't give it to much throttle because if you do you might shoot the ramp out from under the rear tire.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I have to use a 2 step step-ladder & 8 ft ramp to load bikes in the back of my '00 Dodge 2500 4wd with no lift and 35" tires - sometimes with the engine running, sometimes not. I complain about it every time..... and I'm 6'4".

You're gonna have fun - especially if you're loading a 4stroke.

Brian

Feb 25, 2001
lol come on guys your scaring me! in the past I had a 8 foot ramp and would put my bike stand next to the ramp and walk the bike up the ramp and as I got to the tail gate I would stand on the bike stand and step up into the bike all in one fluid motion.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
If you're getting a truck that jacked up... I'm assuming you have a lil space at your house? You could always have a dirt mound ramp hill thingie for home loadings (or use a ditch).... and just get some help when loading at the track. But your best bet is using a step or two next to a really long ramp (like maybe a folding one so it can be extra long).

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I would recommend not buying it. I used to have a 3/4 ton chevy with 10" of lift and 38.5 tires and it sucked. Don't get me wrong they look cool and all but are very impractical, unless you live where there are no roads, it is not worth having. If you do get it, get a trailer.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Man, you people work too hard to get your bikes in the truck.

Just lift it up and place it in the bed :aj:

Feb 25, 2001
The measurment from the tail gate down position to the ground is 53" my current truck is 33" I currently use a bike stand to step on to get it and a 7 foot ramp. If I moved up to a step ladder and a 10 foot ramp would that make much of a difference?

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
If you gotta have it use two ramps-one to walk up and the other to run the bike up, that's how I do it w/my F350 4x4, no lift or big tires though.
At that point I would just get a trailer.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Get a three rail trailerand and drop hitch. It will save you some trouble! The long ramp and idle up. No ghosting riding it up the ramp unless you have a buddy to video tape it so we can see it. The dirt mound would be great or better yet a ditch and small dirt mound on one side of it.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Best bet is too find a trailer, what if say you wreck on your bike.. Your sore, are you going too be able too load it by yourself?? Help is usually at hand, but you may have too load it by yourself.. On my f350, 4x4 10 in lift w/38.5's, i used a 8ft ramp w/help of a freind.. W/the PowerStroke, you can get a big trailer tooo..
Rick

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Sometimes I have keeping hold of the bars before I get to the step ladder - depends on the terrain. With 12" lift & 40" tires you will need a portable stairway in order to keep your hands on the bars before you actually get to the tailgate.

Best bet is a trailer or moto-jack/bike rail type set-up.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a truck with 12" lift and 40s - but then what do I know....

Brian

Feb 25, 2001
Rickyd...so it can be done? OR was it a struggle to get the bike in there? Im thinking of buying a little 4X8 bike rail trailer that I can throw the bikes onto.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
The Honda Pilot said:
Rickyd...so it can be done? OR was it a struggle to get the bike in there? Im thinking of buying a little 4X8 bike rail trailer that I can throw the bikes onto.
It can be done, it can be a struggle too get it in the back if nobody is around too help you.. Worth it too spend a few $$ on a trailer IMO, heck i drive a Nissan now and trailer the bikes, so much easier..
Rick

RidesRed

Dec 19, 2003
ooh, well I have an older dodge powerwagon, which are tall from the factory. It has an 8" lift, and 38.5 tires. It is a CAST IRON BITCH to load my bikes into it. I LITERALLY use a forklift and a sling to load my bikes ( I keep them at my warehouse). At the riding area I go to, I have a great little knoll i back up to. Then, with my 7 foot moose ramp , and the knoll nearly level to the tailgate, its no sweat to load the bikes. BUT, when the truck is on flat ground, the ramp is at 45 degrees or better! waaaay to steep, even WITH the engine running. The tires cant get any traction. So, from real life experience, lifted truck+loading bikes=major headaches. I dont use the truck anymore for hauling my bikes. I use my Dodge van. Nice, low, and easy!!!!!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Man I had a heck of a time getting my old XR into my 77 F150. I had no lift and 35"s but it sat as high as a factory hi-boy . . . anyway, dirt bikes in big trucks is just way too much trouble to mess with. Long ramps, two ramps, steps in between . . . it's still a hassle. I have helped out my buddies load and even a 6" lift makes things much more difficult. Also, remember that EVERYTHING is taller--getting the bike in is one struggle, but reaching the tie downs is a PITA too, you gotta toss your heavy gearbag and tool box that much higher, etc etc.

Why do you want 12" of lift anyway? 6" and 36"s looks just as good. Much easier to drive, park, get in and out, work on, buy tires for, etc etc. How are you going to go on a date when she can't get in your truck? Trust me, it's NOT funny when you're the girl. Also, that much lift and tires really wreaks havoc on your tranny, drivelines, axles and differentials. Extra wear and tear and broken stuff.

Get a normal truck, buy a few goodies for it, and spend your $$ on another bike.

Sorry, just my opinion.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Yeah, that 12" lift won't seem so fun the first time the ramp walks on you or shoots out of the rear wheel and you ding a tailgate or punch it w/ your shin/knee/hip/junk/etc :eek: . My 3/4 ton w/ the Off-Road package is tall enough and it still won't fit in most garages, plus it sucks to load bikes...got to have the stand in just the right place and Lord help you are parked on rough ground that the stand wobbles on. If you plan on getting a cool truck, just make sure to allot some $$$ for a rail or covered trailer.

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
You can buy a step that goes into your hitch receiver adn extends out beyond the tailgate. They are specially made for loading dirt bikes into tall trucks.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I've got a 3/4ton with a 3" lift and 35's, I can load my own bike on flat ground by using my stand as a step behind the tailgate and a longer than standard folding streetbike ramp. Just get a good run at the ramp and make sure the bike is vertical until you get the front wheel on the tailgate, so that the ramp doesn't slide off the tailgate. Push from the brake lever side of the bike, stop once the front wheel is up on the tailgate off the ramp, squeeze the front brake lever, use the stand to step up onto the tailgate beside it and pull it in from there. I'm 6'5 and if the truck was much/any taller it would make it much more difficult to do this. With a 12" lift I think it's pretty much impossible to load or unload by yourself. Even if you can lift the bike without a ramp, if the tailgate is over 5 feet up, you won't be able to lift it that high. I really think a trailer is the only way to haul bikes with a truck that tall.

Top Bottom