Mr.Planters

Jul 7, 2008
Hey guys!

about a month or two ago, my girlfriend bought me a 2001 wr250f, thing is, she can't kick start it, and I have a really hard time me too. so yeah, I am looking towards a road legal bike.

I am currently looking at a 2004 ktm excf 250, the bike will only be used in the city when I don't want to take out my car(gas...)

so this is what I would like to ride:

a 4 stroke
lights and flashers(if possible)
dirt tires
electric starter
speedometer

thing is, I can't decide which bike to choose, there are sooo many:)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
if you don't mind spending the money, check out the new Yamaha WR250R

Everything I've heard is that they are awesome.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
I do not mean to be impolite, but, if you aren't going to take the bike on the dirt, why stick with dirt tires?? Or do I misunderstand your meaning and you will only occasionally drive it in town?

Mr.Planters

Jul 7, 2008
fatcat216 said:
I do not mean to be impolite, but, if you aren't going to take the bike on the dirt, why stick with dirt tires?? Or do I misunderstand your meaning and you will only occasionally drive it in town?

yes, I will use it as my off-road bike and will occasionally drive to work with it.

I just want an all-round capable bike, and as for the new yamaha, well, im not really a big fan of it, anything else?

also, I wouldn't mind putting an after-market flasher system if its all it needs to be street legal

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
You are going to need to check with your equivalent of our Department of Motor Vehicles for street legal requirements. Even here there is at least some minor variability in making a bike street legal after the fact. There will be an inspection process - you don't want to hang your hat on the word of some American on the Internet!

As for bikes, wow, if you aren't a fan of the wr250r, you probably better fill this out.

Older and older Guy@ DRN "What bike should I get" said:
Everyday I see more and more posts of this type:
I am X years old and want a dirtbike what do you think I should look for?
As glad as I am that you value forum members opinions I wish you would include more info so they can give you an opinion instead of putting up this answer. We need more info to help.

Try to include the following info in your first post:
1) Your physical size (both height and weight are important)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
3) What do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
4) Do you have any riding experience?
5) Do you think you will race ?
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
10) Do you live in California?
11) Your age?
12) Anything else that you think would help form an opinion. (Such as what you've already posted above-estart etc.)

This info won't guarantee a perfect bike choice but it will sure steer the answers you get closer to the ideal bike.

Have you test road the ktm? What about Gas Gas?

Last edited:

Mr.Planters

Jul 7, 2008
I would like to look at something else rather than yamaha, plus I don't like the look of the new wr's.

1) 6.2" , 190lbs
2) not aggressive rider
3) trails, the city sometimes
4) somewhat experienced driver
5) will not race
6) knows basic stuff about mechs
7) 4 strokes
8) yes, ktm, yamaha, suzuki, honda, kawasaki
9) 5-6K
10) nope, montreal
11) in my twenties

so yeah, cheers

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
hmm.

Sorry Mr. Planters. This place can be a bit like waiting in the the Cook County Unemployment Office. You'll now have to take your completed form to Window C.

While you are waiting, perhaps you could explain what you liked about the KTM and why you aren't a fan of one of the most popular new dual sport dirtbikes on the market? Perhaps you've answered your own question?

You might find this helpful while you are looking for a new bike.
http://micapeak.com/info/misc/starting.html

and...lastly, if you get really really bored waiting for suggestions you could try this one:

http://davidmaister.com/articles/5/52/

(jk.) :laugh:

Top Bottom