motomedic

Apr 19, 2009
Hello,

I am looking to get started in vintage racing. I work at different tracks as a medic. Worked a vintage race the other day and got hooked.

I am looking for advice on the best starter bike, to break into racing with.

I use to have a yz465, but sold it a few years back. I liked it a lot and it was fun to ride. But, don't know if that is to big a bike to start off with. Looking for some advice as the best starter bike and fairly cheap to maintain, as far as parts costs

Thanks for any advice.

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
If you rode the 465 and live to tell about it you'd probably be OK with racing one.The throttle turns both ways and for drums the YZ has good brakes.If you can get the old bike back go for it.

motomedic

Apr 19, 2009
Thanks. don't think I can get it back, The guy is racing it himself. I did like the YZ. It had good powerbands and was easy to work on. May try to find another 465 or maybe a 250?

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
I've had more fun racing my YZ100 than I did my YZ490. The little bike just corners sooo good and is a blast. It was fun racing the two different classes back to back!! I've gone with all small bores now, even though I'm pushing nearly 200lbs, I can still be competitive on them, especially if I would train a little.

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
I wouldn't sell my YZ for love or money.They're out there.If you find one lemme know I have some jetting specs that made it smooth from idle up to redline.Took some time to do but man it's sweet.Good luck.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
It depends on what class you want to run it. True vintage is typically '74 or older. Evo classes start after that.
For the money and parts availablility, I like the 75-76 Honda CR250s. Much cheaper than the 73-74 Elsinores and you can still buy every part on them, either from dealer or aftermarket shops, at very good prices. And while Honda took a step back in those two years (didn't even make a '77 model) compared to Yamaha and Suzuki, they are still competitive bikes and it's almost always the rider that makes the difference between winning and just racing to have fun at these races.
But any reasonable priced bike that is running and you can get parts to keep running will give you plenty of fun. Keep us posted.

motomedic

Apr 19, 2009
Thanks for the replys guys. I am going to keep an eye out for something I can afford. I will let you all know what I find. Just looking to do something to have fun, without breaking the bank!!

motomedic

Apr 19, 2009
I was thinking of that! ;)

Had one last week that his wife didn't know he was racing. Now has to explain the broken collar bone! I could get that one cheap, from her! :blah: :laugh:

sm7482

Jan 29, 2008
MOST vintage races arent to serious depending on the class you enter. the evo class will tend to be more competative then bikes from pre 74. most ppl on the real old bikes like my friend when and his maicos go out to relive old memmorys and just cruise around talk to other vintage enthusiests and not bash there bikes. sure there are real competative races but alot of them are not super competative. if you are trying to find a vintage bike to be real competative on try evo class bikes but if you want those real oldies go for the bikes pre 74. last time out we took my buddies 69 maico 250 just to cruise around in and such. theres those guys out there with the nicley restored pentons, ktms, czs, can-ams, huskys, maicos and such. they werent bashing them but they were competative enough. but keep your eye out for a bike you really enjoy, styling, cosmetically, and just overall. we can tell you all about "good vintage bikes" but ultimatly its up for you. look for somthing reflecting you.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I'm pretty well in love with my 73 kawi 250. Very fun to ride, and quite fast. An old kawi green streak would be sweet, if you could find one. F9 bighorn is cool too.

Ok, so I'm a vintage kawi fan, in case you couldn't tell. I will admit it's hard to beat the vintage yz's though.

J.

motomedic

Apr 19, 2009
Yes, I have always liked the older YZ's. Just like the looks of them. The one thing that drew me to the vintage races, is you can go out and race to have fun and not kill yourself or your bank account, trying to compete. The guys out there just seem to have fun running around and the course is a little less aggressive. That is better on the older bodies!

kiwiblues

May 3, 2009
hi mate just got my yz465h last week. running a bit rich, can ya give me some info on ya jettting. its a california bike, im in new zealand
cheers steve

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom