Looks like Reed is out for a while

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Epstein Bar virus strikes another. I am not a Reed fan and won't make any 'warrior' statements as this is more then likely a major cause of his recent results. I know in the past I have and still believe he was a 'whiner' and used excuses to cover shortfalls but this time I do send him thoughts of a speedy and complete recoery.
BTW this is also the virus that pretty much shut Pastrana's career short of what his potential held

http://www.racerxonline.com/article/a-letter-from-chad-reed.aspx

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Since about 95% of the population is infected in their lifetime THAT must be what held me back as well. I feel relieved that I can now blame it on something.

LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
Reed shows that he races because he loves to more than most pro rider out there. He and everyone else knows its too late for him to get the title back so i doubt it is an excuse :coocoo:

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Too bad he's out, and RV2, and JS....No matter why it's always nice to see the pros mix it up. I loved watching the aussie and red head doing fast laps. They both could lay it down. Now it's Dungey's turn. Maybe JS will shake things up in the gravity cavity. Maybe not.

LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
Uchytil said:
Too bad he's out, and RV2, and JS....No matter why it's always nice to see the pros mix it up. I loved watching the aussie and red head doing fast laps. They both could lay it down. Now it's Dungey's turn. Maybe JS will shake things up in the gravity cavity. Maybe not.

Really? Stewarts racing Unadilla? Cant wait, im going to be there :laugh: I hope dungey shows him how its done though.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
LEllis7motox said:
Really? Stewarts racing Unadilla? Cant wait, im going to be there :laugh: I hope dungey shows him how its done though.

I heard it throught the grapevine...Would be nice to see him ride again in something other than winter sports.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P3_vL1Eui08&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P3_vL1Eui08&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The Stewart at 'dila thing was mentioned several times during the Washugal coverage...

Not sure why anyone would expect him to be in race shape, but it would be nice to see another top runner out there, if only for a few laps.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
LEllis7motox said:
I hope he does, i would like to see a battle for the lead in the 450 class. Once dungey gets up front hes gone

As much as I'm a huge Dungey fan if Stewart is in close to peak physical condition I'd be surprised if you see a battle. Stewart is faster until he hits the ground and Dungey currently has a title to clinch.

LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
Chili said:
As much as I'm a huge Dungey fan if Stewart is in close to peak physical condition I'd be surprised if you see a battle. Stewart is faster until he hits the ground and Dungey currently has a title to clinch.

Your probably right, its been awhile since i have watched bubba race a national, forget how fast he is :bang:

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Badly bruised shoulder. Website says he is confident the 2 weeks off until Unidilla will be long he to heal

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
LEllis7motox said:

If JBS is even remotely competitive with Dungey... then it means Ryan still has a long way to go before you can start favorably comparing his speed/ability to RC/JBS/MC/etc...

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I sure wouldn't put Bubba in the same league as RC, MC, and the rest of the proven champions. He's more along the TP line, stupid fast when he's not taking himself out of the game. Maybe one day but he needs a few more jewels to make a crown.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
Patman said:
I sure wouldn't put Bubba in the same league as RC, MC, and the rest of the proven champions. He's more along the TP line, stupid fast when he's not taking himself out of the game. Maybe one day but he needs a few more jewels to make a crown.

Travis Pastrana?? They are both "exciting" to watch... but that is where the similarities end...

24 races/24 wins in route to a mx championship was a pretty nice step along the road to greatness. The sx/mx "lites" titles and 2 supercross titles are also a nice start.

Obviously he is a long way behind MC/RC accomplishment wise, but I said SPEED/ABILITY anyway... RC had freakish talent.... as did MC... as does JBS. The jury is still out on Dungey. He works hard and gets the job done... but his riding doesn't quite WOW me like the other 3... When RC, JBS, or a prime MC were "on", they just blew everyone else off the track.

I still can't see Dungey winning the sx title this year w/out JBS, Reed, and RV all getting injured... or winning the mx crown if JBS or RV were racing the whole season. I see him more like a Chad Reed. Uber talented, but not fast enough to get it done w/out 1 or 2 faster guys falling on really hard times.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I read it as "SPEED/ABILITY" which is directly comparable to Pastrana. Watch some footage of races and you would see the VERY similar way they both attack a whoop section flat out. The ability to pull off the insane jumps didn't happen when he bumped his head one too many times. Now also look at what Bubba has been up to lately, seems like even he wants to be like Travis :laugh:

Pastrana had the skills, fitness & determination to be a top dog he just didn't seem to have the ability to keep his eye on the prize if the chance to do something cool popped out in front of him. He's even admitted he was easily distracted... "Oh man wouldn't it be cool if I could backflip over the finishline?" ....crash. Nitro Circus stunts are not something they invented for a show, it's stuff he did all the time and happened to not always be 100% on race day because of it. Do you honestly think Roger DeCoster would have given him a chance if he didn't really see something? :laugh:

Today they are pretty much two peas in a pod, maybe that will change... maybe not only time will really tell.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I can see Pat's point, and agree with YamaB as well.... JBS HAS some titles.

On the other hand, watching him race, you are blown away, but at the same time wondering when the crash comes... keeps it interesting for sure, just like TP.

Main difference I think is JBS really does want the titles, TP never seemed serious enough and like said, easily distracted.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
IMHO, TP may be the most talented over-all rider to ever throw a leg over a dirt bike... Nobody else in any dirt bike discipline has his mastery when it comes to controlling the machine and making it do crazy almost in-human things.

That being said, JBS is WAY beyond TP as far as mx/sx racing goes, so it isn't a great comparison. TP goes fast and crashes... repeat... JBS has had a perfect season in mx and 2 sx titles, which means he does more than just go fast for a lap or two and then crash out.... He goes really fast at all times and usually wins... and only crashes occasionally... albeit unfortunately, those occasions are usually pretty spectacular.

Anyway, if one guy is going to dominate the competition as happens year after year in mx/sx... I'd just as soon that guy be REALLY fun to watch... Hell, I'd tune to watch an hour of JBS just pounding out hot laps by himself on the track... I can't say the same about Dungey or most others.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Okiewan said:
TP never seemed serious enough and like said, easily distracted.
. . . here I go, hammerin' through the whoops, corner, corner, here comes a double, HEY, THERE'S SOMETHING SHINY!

Top Bottom