YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
The results were there for me. Look harder. Link worked fine. There is more than 1 page in that PDF file.

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
Since I hadn't seen the now infamous "drop off" in a while, I took a ride over there Monday. It looked about the same as always. So then I rode up it, and looked at it from the top... yup, still looks the same! So I just went down it, and went back to test my skills at the new A section; now that's entertainment!
I just don't see the problem... :nener:

Superbike373

Apr 11, 2004
It was not bad or even very difficult. I cam up and a buch of people were setting at the top. I seen a guy go over and he just rode off so I followed. My eyes got big! :ohmy:
More of a suprise than anything. It was what 4 foot? ----Mike

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Trails From the Dark Side

From the D14 Enduro web site... :cool:

By Mark Becker
Let me start this off by saying I am not a journalist. Therefore I am not bound to any of those silly writing ethics, such as accuracy or plagiarism. If you are some namby-pamby, hippie-liberal, stop reading now. I refer you to the name of this editorial.

Loose Moose Enduro 2004
Marquette, Michigan

18 July 2004 was the day of separating the men from the girlie-men. The U.P. Sandstormers hosted the Loose Moose National Enduro. It was an epic event. These guys are a dedicated group of hard-core riders with a “take no prisoners” attitude.

I rode minute 38. They had 162 pre-entries and 267 total riders. The weather was perfect, traction was great (excluding the mountain), and it was well organized. One check was thrown out and became an OB check. Nick Zambon gave the riders’ meeting in the morning. He informed us that the women and super seniors were to ride the long course. I have not experienced a mentality like that since my days in my beloved Marine Corps. Semper Fi to you Nick Zambon. They gave us 87 ground miles and the last 20 were on the mountain. The initial 65 miles was prime trail riding utopia. They gave us a small taste of the mountain then roosted us off on to the plains. There we rode tight, fast single track and “moon” rocks from hell. It was balls-to the-wall fun. Resets were much improved over years past. This club is getting better with age. We had a stretch of free territory that consisted of virgin single track and old trail. That was odd. If I had a decent sense of direction I would have jumped on some county roads to ride back. I was informed that the reason was to maintain the “no license plate” entry. My thought is, if I have to ride technical trail; I want a check at the end of it.

The first section of trail (the mountain of course) had a 5-foot vertical drop-off. It was gnarly looking. As I rode up to it, three other riders were playing the “you go first game”. This situation is requires little skill since gravity works for you. If you crash, it’ll be after the obstacle. I adopted the brain dead and outta control approach and plunged off. It worked for me but the mountain had many more opportunities to expose my spode riding skills or lack of. I rode each section as if it were the last. I write the length of each section on my route sheet to help me determine the duration of punishment awaiting me. Once I was out on the plains, it was pure riding bliss. A few trouble spots but nothing too severe. Marquette is one of the best places to ride.

Now, the mountain is the most wretched piece of real estate I have ever known. I’d like to fly a F-16 over it and napalm it into a heap a charcoal briquettes. Yeah sure, the AA pros love it but for the slowest A rider in the district (a title I am quite proud of) it is my nemesis. I have yet to conquer that evil pile of vile *#!&. That is why I will always come back. The mountain does not allow me to crash on the other side of an obstacle. When you are faced with a rocky uphill with Teflon grease mud, you really need to be a good rider. Add to that I was physically wasted , the last 7 miles was a survival ride. It was hell. Boot camp was easier than that. The man responsible for the mountain is Paul Yell. For all those interested, I will provide you with his phone number. These “Yoopers” are a tough breed. They have my utmost respect. I wonder how they would fair in the inner city ghetto where I live? Enough said.

Paul was at the last check. He worked hard on his section and wanted to be at the end to get rider feedback. I’d like to thank the Sandstormers for another epic Enduro. Mike Lafferty won the event dropping 25 points. You can go to www.upsandstormers.com to get complete results. I dropped 118 points. I would still be on that mountain if not for the help of another rider. I owe you thanks and a beer. However, in my brain-faded state, I never got your name. I can’t comment about protest or awards since I was at my truck sucking the bottom bilge water out of my cooler. I trust everything went well, and if it didn’t, who cares its over. Every year I whine how tough this event is; I still come back. Rain or shine, this is a real Enduro. All you girly-men stay away. Remember, I’m not here for a long time; I’m here for a good time!

From the Dark Side,
Mark Becker

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
OUTSTANDING REPORT MARK BECKER, whoever/where-ever you are!!! :thumb:
I REALLY like his plagerizing Arnie with the "All you girly-men" phrase. Especially his final line "Remember, I’m not here for a long time; I’m here for a good time" :aj:
Sounds like one of those hardcore woods riders - my kinda people!
Thanks Smitty

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Magoo - Is this the infamous drop-off?

And is that TrailBoss Nick Z in the white helmet showing how it's done? :aj:

Attachments

• DSC_3183.jpg
    DSC_3183.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC_3174.jpg
    DSC_3174.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC_3159.jpg
    DSC_3159.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 105

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
First pic could very well be the mighty nzambon! Second pic is Jeff Fredette, third pic is Tom Kalies. That looks like the moon rocks to me; the drop off everyone was askeered of is on the mini-mountain.
If that is Nick, he'll remember where the pic was taken, and I'm sure he'll confirm the location of the picture.
Are those pics from last year's UP 300?
Magoo

barkbuster67

Nov 6, 2002
That appears to be photo's taken in the moon rock section. Not sure why I would know that. Maybe I was there once or twice. Smit-dog, the moon rocks are located after your ill fated rag in the rear brake ride. Oh, by the way, thanks for offering up the buddy tow in case there is a break down. You just never know when a clutch will fail.

See Magoo, I'm looking out for ya. :yeehaw:

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
barkbuster67 said:
That appears to be photo's taken in the moon rock section. Not sure why I would know that. Maybe I was there once or twice.
Is that the AA section??
barkbuster67 said:
You just never know when a clutch will fail.
See Magoo, I'm looking out for ya.

And I'm lookin' for YOU.... :moon:

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
The picture you have on the link is definately in the moon rocks. I know right where that one is.
I'm thinking the first pics you posted (Fredette, etc) are in the AA section (not technically what we call the moon rocks, but in the vicinity); while that one is in the moon rocks, just before you hit Walts section.
None of which is near the (evidently) very skeery drop off on the mini-mountain!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom