"lowering" what about "raising"?

tinytrev

Nov 16, 2002
ive read some threads about taller seat foam to raise u up a bit but what about suspension wise is there anything i can do? ive just set the sag but i hope i did it right. do u measure it first on the stand on an angle and then mesure it fully loaded with u on it standing upright. i tried measuring it both times standing upright and it wouldnt work. but i think i got it right when it was on the stand.. sorry for the dribbling but im new to the suspension nightmare....

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
There is no 'angle. Measure it first with the bike straight up, lifting on the rear fender to completely unload the suspension. Top it out!

Then measure (perpendicular to the ground) from the axle to a point directly above the axle.

Then measure again with you on it, complete with all your gear. Some methods indicate 'standing on the pegs', some indicate 'seated'. Set it how you spend most of your time on the bike.

If 'both times standing upright' refers to the bike being upright, that is correct. It isn't ever measured 'on the stand'.

For anyone wanting to niggle with specifics...yes, I understand that a properly set bike will BE topped out when sitting on the sidestand, and a properly made measurement in that postion WILL be correct for the 'unloaded' value. Still, it's easier to make all the measurements the same (imo) for the sake of clarity in explanation.

Oh...when you're done, measure the amount of 'free sag', or the amount the back of the bike drops under its own weight...when sitting straight up. Should be 3/4 to 1&1/4" or so. Less means too light a rear spring, more means too stiff a rear spring.

Devol pullrods will raise the seat height a bit...1/4-3/8" or so. Sag needs to be set after the rods are installed.

Cheers!

tinytrev

Nov 16, 2002
thanx canyn so i was doing it right in the first place. so when i take the first measurement i must lift the bike up by the back fender to the point where it takes up the slack in the sups..arhar. my first measurements made the sag 60mm so i unwound the locking nuts up and the measurments didnt seem to work it made the sag less so i thought that when i measured it on the stand and it worked out at 100mm i was on a winner. i cant understand y when i turned the locknut up and made the second measurement it was less sag. im sorry canyn but consider me as a SIMPLETON when it comes to bike susp. setups. i appreciate all ur help. THANKS THANKS THANKS

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Trev, have you checked out the justkdx pages for mods for taller riders?
http://www.dirtrider.net/justkdx/ (in the tech pages)
BTW, I looked for the article on the KDX but must have thrown the magazine out. I'm more & more convinced it was DA & am surprised I couldn't find it - it's not as though it's that often an article on the KDX appears, I would've thought I'd keep it ;)

tinytrev

Nov 16, 2002
yeah michelle its my homepage and ive read it and done most of the mods except the seat foam. done both hangers/clamps. thank you. ive found when doing wheelies i cant quite get my foot to the back brake lever to avoid (another) flipping off..lol. maybe size 14 feet are too big. i feel more like im riding a bigwheel 80cc (probably look like it too). thanx all (:@)

Top Bottom