Maintanence Cost - Japaneese vs European

Mar 11, 2005
Hey guys,

I need a help! I live in Brazil where the cost of maintaining dirt bikes is unbelievably high. But I am lucky to have close connections to US (frequent flyer and some friends as well).

So my question is. How should the maintenance of this bikes compare (US prices)?

Do you have any idea of what is the average cost to "renew" an engine?

KDX 220
Husqwarna WR 250
GasGas 250
KTM 300
Suzuki RMX 250

Bests,
Eduardo
(excuse my lousy english)

Bullwinkle58

Apr 23, 2004
GasGas and Husquvarna parts (and cost of the bike itself) will be expensive compared to the Japanese makes because the bikes aren't as popular. From what I hear, KTM parts prices are about the same as Japanese; i'm not sure about the bikes themselves. It's safe to say, Japanese bikes and parts cost the least.

By the way, your english & spelling is better than about half of us who are native to the language!

Mar 11, 2005
Bullwinkle58 said:
GasGas and Husquvarna parts (and cost of the bike itself) will be expensive compared to the Japanese makes because the bikes aren't as popular. From what I hear, KTM parts prices are about the same as Japanese; i'm not sure about the bikes themselves. It's safe to say, Japanese bikes and parts cost the least.

By the way, your english & spelling is better than about half of us who are native to the language!

Thanks for the complement Bull. :) You better bet that I spend 3 times or more writing than you :)

Any one else can help me on this subject?

thanks

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I have to disagree with Bullwinkle. GasGas parts, atleast in Canada, are on par with Japanese and cheaper than KTM. Some parts are more expensive, but that's because of higher quality components (ohlins shock and juice clutch for example). I just switched to GasGas, so I'll tell you more in about a year after I have plenty of time on the bike.

Mar 11, 2005
SpeedyManiac said:
I have to disagree with Bullwinkle. GasGas parts, atleast in Canada, are on par with Japanese and cheaper than KTM. Some parts are more expensive, but that's because of higher quality components (ohlins shock and juice clutch for example). I just switched to GasGas, so I'll tell you more in about a year after I have plenty of time on the bike.

Thanks. Enjoy your new bike and keep us posted!

Cheers

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
We have 3bikesa Kawasaki KLX, GasGas ec250 and a TM250e....both euro bikes are cheap to run, much cheaper than the jap mx bikes. I think they are built stronger and top ends seem to last forever. The power is more bottem end compared to a mx bike though and they are built v strong!

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
The biggest issue I had with my husky was getting the parts. My yamaha I just go to the local parts storeand get about anything. The husky had to order most things.

Mar 11, 2005
SPD said:
The biggest issue I had with my husky was getting the parts. My yamaha I just go to the local parts storeand get about anything. The husky had to order most things.
We have the some problem in Brazil. You can find japaneese parts virtually anywhere. Husq are not that easy and they are much more expensive than the japaneese ones!

berudd

Dec 31, 2004
I don't really know if KTM parts are more expensive or not but the general consensus is that KTM wear much longer that japanese bike. So if a new top end for a KTM is 20% more expensive but you can run it 2 or 3 times longer, it works out to be much cheaper in the long run. I bet the KTM 300 can go for a looooooong loooooooooooooong time before it needs a new piston and you can probably put in new rings intead for an inexpensive freshening up. If you goal is to decrease your over maintenacne costs, I thnk the KTM is the way to go. They are also undeniable great off road bikes.

Top Bottom