B

biglou

My local shop still had their little bikes out yesterday.

I periodically deal with lead at work, and in talking to some of the scientists and engineers, the main route for lead to enter the body is through inhalation or ingestion (eating it). Lead particles that are "suspended in matrix" (cured paint, metal alloys, etc.) are not considered a hazard, and we generally set our exposure levels at 5-10x lower than what OSHA recommends.

So yeah, most all this CPSC stuff is total bullsh1t.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Crud. I just remembered I have a meeting at 2pm. As soon as it's over I'll head down there with my camera.

Jeff and Terry - I hope to see yo guys there.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
ws6transam said:
Just wanted to chime in,

I wrote my congressman, my senators, and the CPSC about this matter and my congressman, Mike Rogers took the time to write me back. What he told me is that there is no legal restriction to selling existing inventory, that there has been an extension of the law until February 10, 2010 for all retailers in the USA.

Therefore,it would appear that Malcom Smith (and all other retailers) is totally within the law in selling his gear for the next eleven months.

Well that's odd. Nobody has told us that. All of the dealers in this area have removed the bikes from the showroom floor. Chaparral has moved all of their youth bikes, parts and clothing into a warehouse. Can't sell them, can't buy them and we get no answers from the morons at the CPSC. None of my emails and letters have been answered.

This is coming at a time when most dealers and independents are already suffering because of the economy. While they play their games, we go out of business.

Talked to a major distributor friend of mine yesterday and he told me that dentists cannot take x-rays on kids under 13 because of the lead in the lead vests they use to protect them from the x-rays.

Thrift stores are not allowed to sell old clothing. Now, they are banning all childrens books printed before 1985 because of the lead content. This scares me more than the bike ban. BANNING BOOKS???? I'm starting to wonder if this has anything at all to do with lead or protecting the children.

If it's true that they have extended the ban, it's only because of the massive uproar from the industry. I'll believe it when I see it in writing.

We are under attack from all sides. Bills like the ridiculous Flowers bill written by people that want to protect us from ourselves.

Government stealing millions of acres of desert and locking the people that pay for it out. Now, here in Kaliforniastan they are proposing a law that would require dirtbikes to be smog tested. How many do you think will pass?

They are making criminals out of all of us. Even when we try to get legal, they change the laws. If we don't ALL become politically active in this, we will have no sport.

I will post a follow-up when I get back from Malcolms. That is, if I'm not in jail.

Tony and Jeff. See you there. :cool:

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
XRpredator said:
that'd save some of the time I have to spend deprogramming my kids every day.
This is why I spend the money to send my kids to private school. I feel that it would not be possible to de-program every bit of the government/union/liberal propaganda that is indoctrinated into kids in government run schools.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I was hoping to see a few more people but it was decent.

I spent a few dollars on parts just to support them. Was good seeing you guys again.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
They just had some video of this during the SX on Speed. They also had an interview with Tom Self. He has a website that makes it really easy to send a letter to congress...www tomself com.

Top Bottom