georgesam

Jun 27, 2003
SOMEBODY HAVE IMPORTED MAXXIS TIRES TO PERU , WE HAVE BEEN USING PIRELLI , DUNLOP AND DURO , I UNDERSTAND THERE IS A WIDE VARIETY OF SPECS ON EACH BRAND AND FOR EACH PARTICULAR PURPOSE , BUT IN GENERAL AS A BRAND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW GOOD IT IS AS COMPARED TO THE REST.
THANKS IN ADVANCE

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
To support Nikki's cause, I put some Sur-Cross's on front and rear about a week ago. I was surprised at how soft the actual compound is. Works great in sand--and I mean great. I'm nearly high-siding in berms now, too. Don't know if that's because the front's a little taller, or just not pushing as much. I've already chunked them out in a few spots, but that's because I've hit some blue groove hard on these things. So far, I like them..but not used to them just yet. Sidewall support seems a bit down compared to the K695 replaced.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
I have the Surcross up front and the IT out back and I'm not happy with them at all. Both tires look like 125 tires i.e. not very wide. They were better than my stock Dunlop 739's but I will not buy them again. They are pretty much useless on anything but tacky ground. The front washes out in the wet and the rear breaks loose without warning. Haven't really tried them on dry hrad pack but so far I haven't found a tire that gives me confidence. Next on the list is the Dunlop 756's which my buddies swear by.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The IT is made for somewhat hard conditions so they will not work all that well in soft mud. The Maxxis ST would be the proper tire for those conditions.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I have a Dunlop 739 on the front and a Maxxis IT on the rear. Its a Good combo. I ride hard pack, rocks, and sand. Lots of deep sand. I did notice that the tire was slightly thin in the rear. I might just order the 120 next time. I realy liked the 756 in the rear, but IMO the IT works just as well. Its a bit squarly felling in the hard pack, but I've had no beef in the sand or mud (It does rain in West Texas every now and then).

georgesam

Jun 27, 2003
The stock available here is Sur Cross and Maxxis IT , most of the terrain here is soft to intermediate and hard .. but no mud ....the riders that are using them here already are quite happy with them .
I thougth about placing a Surcross 120 x 90 x 19 on the rear of my YZ 250 but I ve been told that it will fit but not work properly ... is this accurate ?
Thanks.
George

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I have the oppisite opinion of SpectraSVT. I LOVE the Maxxis IT for just about anything but deep sand... which I rarely ride in. It hooks-up very well and lasts a LOT longer than my next favorite Dunlop (756). Even if the Maxxis cost as much as a 756, I'd still buy it.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I am thinking of replacing my Dunlap 756 with a Maxxis IT and after reading these comments I will give it a try. I like the 756, but it wears to fast and is $20 more than the Maxxis.

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
I have used the Maxxis IT rear for over a year in about eight enduros, four hare scrambles and innumerable trail rides. Here in No Cal it works as well if not better than the other premium tires I have used such as Michelin and Dunlop. I won't use anything else now on the back, and just purchased an IT front to try.

Also, they are priced very well (try Rocky Mountain MC) at about $10 to $15 less than Michelins or Dunlops here.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Maxxis IT frt/rear 100cc RM. IT rear on a TM125E

Frt on RM is Very good. Rear was cut at the Wisp contributing to the DNF.

Rear on TM Did 42 miles or so of New englands finest HS trails, It did 36 miles of HS in roots and top soil and this week it 's side gave way and sliced during a HS in Northeast PA. Junior managed to finish and win but that is the last for Maxxis as for 3.5 years with only 2 front flats (cured with revalved suspension), Maxxis is not for us. It could be a fluke but.....

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
I have only 6 or 7 rides on prepped tracks and i already need a new front and rear with the Maxxis tires. I first tried the Maxxis Surcross in the rear and they were shredded in 3 rides. Don't know how you guys get so much wear out of them.

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
4strokes.com seems to like all but the M6001.
I just put on an I/T rear haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

www.4strokes.com/reviews/maxxis/

Unkle Moose

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2001
Iused to run Michlin S12 front and either S12 or M12 rear dependingon time of year, switched to a Dunlop 756 and all tires worked great here in Nor-Cal. After talking to BigBird at a race he said try the Maxxis Maxcross IT. Put both on front and rear and could not be happier. Will keep running these tires, plus the good prices help too.

d.u.g.

May 23, 2003
Everone I've talked to seems to love those Maxxis IT's.I'm going to try a pair of those for my next tires.
I rode a friends WR-450 with them and thought they were just super.
d.u.g.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Jason,

Are you saying that the Maxxis are just rebadged Cheng-Shin's or are they manufactured by Cheng-Shin for Maxxis?

The Maxxis appear to be different tires and the Cheng-Shin connection has never been mentioned in any of the reviews I have read.

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
Maxxis is the high end line of Cheng Shin. I read it in Rev magazine.

When I raced BMX, Cheng Shin sucked. This was in '91, '92. They may have improved, but I am still leary of them since they sucked mucheth.

Thanks,
JasonWho

Top Bottom