McGrath on the des Nations: "I'd do it."

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Thanks RacerX online
While we have not heard much in the way of team selection process for the rapidly approaching 2002 Motocross des Nations in San Jacinto, California, one thing we did hear recently is that seven-time Supercross Champion Jeremy McGrath would seriously consider taking a spot on the team if tapped by the AMA to represent America in the 56th annual running of the storied event. “You know, I’ve heard the rumors about me being selected for the team floating around out there," McGrath told Racer X editor Eric Johnson last night. "Yeah, I’d do it if asked. I’d race the Motocross des Nations.”
Sounds like a plan to me! He can beat any Euro out there, so I say go for it!

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I would take him on my team. He may not be the fastest anymore but his skills would definitely qualify him for the job.
Go MC :aj:

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
If he does well it could boost his confidence for the upsomming supercross season. But if he doesnt then he could do worse than last year. Not that 3rd is bad.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Sorry, don't buy that, he didn't want to go when he was at the top of his game - and now, when it's VERY unlikely he'll be picked, he wants to go. Sounds fishy to me.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Yeah he will get on if he sends Jeff Golulie to talk with RC. "Why.... Why Why....." :)

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
>> uhh I dont get it. Care to explain.

Jeff G**** however its spelled was the guy that whacked Nancy Kerigan on the knee for Tanya Harding. You know...Ice skating.

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
MC would not make my top ten MXers right now, let alone top three. He had his chance and chose not to go. Now that it's in his back yard he thinks it would be fun. Too bad lets send guys how would go no matter where the race was.

motomike137

Nov 21, 2001
If the race was really being run on a motocross track and it had motos instead of a moto I would care. But as it is, the way the thing has been *******ized I really don't care. It's just a sideshow now kinda like the US open. I sure am glad that I got to go to Unadilla in 87. Send Jeremy, Damon and George Holland!

jpuetz

May 2, 2001
Yep, MC shouldn't be aloud on the US team, he's washed up (3rd in SX '02 ). So many riders that are better (2nd place was from France ). He should just get a XR50 and cruise the pits (that would make him 2nd US rider in SX '02 ). I would like to see Pastrana go, but what did he prove or accomplish this year? He will be great and have his time. RC will be a shoe in as long as he's on a bike. I think we saw enough of Stewart for him to be a shoe in. There is just as good of an argument for MC as any other riders. How bad are you guys going to bag on RC when he's not #1 down the road. :think:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
no one is bagging on mc, he just doesn't deserve to go. neither does pastrana. mc shouldn't even be considered. when rc is no longer on top, he won't deserve to go either. it's not just about fan favorites, it's about who is the best. currrently, there shouldn't be any debate about rc and stewart. the third rider is a little more open to debate, i although i think it should be ferry and it probably will be.

now if they ever have a supercross des nations, i'm all for mc being on the team.

jpuetz

May 2, 2001
Originally posted by mx547
no one is bagging on mc, he just doesn't deserve to go. neither does pastrana. mc shouldn't even be considered. when rc is no longer on top, he won't deserve to go either. it's not just about fan favorites, it's about who is the best. currrently, there shouldn't be any debate about rc and stewart. the third rider is a little more open to debate, i although i think it should be ferry and it probably will be.

now if they ever have a supercross des nations, i'm all for mc being on the team.

I agree with most of that, it's not about fan favorites. MC's got performance on his side. But you are correct, it's MX not SX Des Nations. Ferry will probably be the best suited, still would like to see Pastrana, but he will have his turn again sometime. You got your point accross good enough to make me see it your way there. Just tough to see people thinking MC is all but sitting beside Art in the booth. At his peak? No. Better now than 95% of the riders at thier peak? Yes. Enough, Ferry it is.

Last edited:

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Jeremy hasn't earned it this year. He did come in third in SX, but he probably would not have made the top 5 if Ferry, LaRocco and Pastrana weren't injured.
In 87', Bob Hannah was selected to the team. Many , including myself, felt he did not earn his way on the team. Micky Dymond was 2 time defending 125 national champ, and rightfully should have been selected. Hannah went on to do a great job in horrible conditions at Unadilla, and team USA won. Many suspected Dymond would get another chance to be on the team, but it never happened. MC has been on the team before. I think he eliminates himself by refusing to race the Nationals.
Hannah was also a fierce competitor. I don't think MC brings the same fire to the table. I'll take someone a little more hungry.

MX Mac

~SPONSOR~
May 18, 2001
Who do you people think you are? If anyone posting a message in this thread had finished 3rd in SX, you would think you were god's gift to MX.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by MX Mac
Who do you people think you are

we are motocross fans who are using the appropriate criteria for picking the team with the best chance of winning. who are you?

wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by MX Mac
Who do you people think you are? If anyone posting a message in this thread had finished 3rd in SX, you would think you were god's gift to MX.

Well put.

Now then, if we could just figure out how to get the teams that "deserve to go", into the College Bowl games.

wrench

MX Mac

~SPONSOR~
May 18, 2001
Who am I??, Someone smart enough to know that you don't wash up a 7 time champ too quickly. MC is still fast on a bike...and I think he can still ride well outdoors. He has smoked Mike Larocco, Tim Ferry, and others for years. He still runs up front...

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by Senior KX Rider
In order to put Jeremy on the team you would have to unseat a faster rider. It would be great for nostalgia sake but not a good move for a team manager to make. Jeremy made himself a SX only rider and needs to stay that way.

I would have to add that if given the nod, it is possible that MC could find himself inspired enough to beat everyone out there.....except one. ;)

Top Bottom