McGrath on the des Nations: "I'd do it."

flyfishdoc

Apr 29, 2002
MC in no way deserves to go... just because he's been good in the past doesnt mean you should send him to compete with the top riders in the world. Thats like sending Enron to the World Bussiness Competition!
MC is washed up... now he's nothing more than a past-his-prime-poster-boy for Bud Light... yea he's had his fair share of Bud Lights
This Bud's for you!

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by flyfishdoc
MC in no way deserves to go... just because he's been good in the past doesnt mean you should send him to compete with the top riders in the world. Thats like sending Enron to the World Bussiness Competition!
MC is washed up... now he's nothing more than a past-his-prime-poster-boy for Bud Light... yea he's had his fair share of Bud Lights
This Bud's for you!

Yeah your right! Why would we go by what someone has done in the past. just because they won boatloads of races before and ONLY finished in third place in the SX season this year. Would never want to use someones track record as a judge! Crap man...most pro's are happy if they make it to the main more than once in a while.
And For cyrin out loud I could think of 17 people in the top 20 that he deserves to go more than.
I wish I was washed up enough to only finish in the top 3 of the top echelon of riders in the World. SX is harder than MX thats why they get paid more, more people aspire to become a supercross rider. Every wonder why at the local tracks only a few people hit the SX tracks and all the weekend warriors hit the mx track?
Jordan is washed up too. He's a has been. Probably never to be again...but I bet if he wanted a shot at being on the olympic Team again he would get the nod. MC is the closest thing to Jordan our sport has ever seen. Not just from the performance level but in the recognition he brought the sport. And he is still in the top levels of the World...Even if he didn't get above a lousy measly washed up has been 3rd friggin place this year.
I will agree he is no longer the best rider in the world. But he's one of the best. He still competes and is a podium finisher.
And remember MXDN is a team sport! IF MC can get top 5 and RC and Bubba or whomever goes all get top 5 as well WE win.

flyfishdoc

Apr 29, 2002
Jasle- the point is this- MC is one of the most talented men to ever have kick started a bike, but his time is over. To let MC go would be to deprive a younger racer of the oppurtunity to gain both experience and knowledge which could one day place him on the level of MC. I want our country to be represented by the riders who were the best this year, not the best last year, or the year before.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by flyfishdoc
Jasle- the point is this- MC is one of the most talented men to ever have kick started a bike, but his time is over. To let MC go would be to deprive a younger racer of the oppurtunity to gain both experience and knowledge which could one day place him on the level of MC. I want our country to be represented by the riders who were the best this year, not the best last year, or the year before.

I will agree with this almost wholeheartedly. I don't feel his time is totally over. I am sure he still has a few wins left in him. Winners no matter how old all have one thing in common. The will to win. This alone is what seperates them from the losers.
I did not get this feeling from the post I originally responded too. I got the feeling that you were bagging on him just like most of the others.
I just get a little ticked at how everyone is bagging on the guy. People in our sport seem to drop who they are rooting for at the drop of a hat. Forgetting what got us where we are today. I spent time over in Europe and the motorcycle fans there love their riders with passion. They don't drop their favorite riders just because some new kid comes along. You see the same loyalty in Nascar racing. TOO bad us americans don't treat our motocross stars the same way.

Of course this is all just my opinion.
Jason

thermal

Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by MX Mac
Who do you people think you are? If anyone posting a message in this thread had finished 3rd in SX, you would think you were god's gift to MX.

What does SX have to do with MX?

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
MC finished 3rd in SX and is by no means slow. But, considering the format my choices for the team would be RC(desire and stamina), Stewart(sheer speed) and a toss up between Ferry and LaRocco(if his wrist is healthy enough). Both Ferry and LaRocco have a never give up attitude and are as fast as anyone any particular day.

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I think everyone is pretty much saying the same thing. MC is saying he would go if picked (highly unlikely). Chances of him being picked are slim to none since he refuses to run the outdoor circuit. Does he deserve to go? - NO
Would I hate it if he were picked? - No, but I think there are others who have proved themselves more deserving.
MC will always be the one who brought the sport to a new level, but there are others who have to carry that torch in the future (RC and Bubba come to mind)

I do agree with Jasle's post about Americans always on the winner bandwagon. That's just us though. Who wouldn't want to send there best? Who doesn't want to win? OK, now I'm boring myself with my own post. :think:

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Jasle,
Since when do Americans shoot for 5th place? ;)

I think MX is physically more demanding than SX. SX pays more because it generates more money and it's very TV friendly. Also, up the 60,000 people pay to watch those indoor races. It's cool to defend McGrath, but it's a tough sell imo.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by angry jim
Jasle,
Since when do Americans shoot for 5th place? ;)

I think MX is physically more demanding than SX. SX pays more because it generates more money and it's very TV friendly. Also, up the 60,000 people pay to watch those indoor races. It's cool to defend McGrath, but it's a tough sell imo.

I don't know. Everyone is all up about some soccer team getting to the Semi's or quarters. Heck people were all excited because our team actually won a lousy game.
In reality I don't give a flyin fat fiddlers fart if MC goes to the MXDN. What I do care about are people baggin on him and not giving the respect he deserves, because he has earned it by being at the top for a long time. RC is fast but does he have what it takes to last? No one can say until he has done it. MC has. We don't get a say anyway who goes so all the whining is for nothing. RC is good. So is Bubba. I'm rooting for Travis and MC is still the King.

Jasle

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000

Attachments

• animated us flag.gif
    animated us flag.gif
    38.5 KB · Views: 97

Stretch374

Apr 22, 2001
I am not certain but I believe the MXDN do not yet have a TV contract here in the U.S.A.

Like it or not if I’m an executive at a major network the only rider I’ve probably ever heard of is MC.

If putting MC on team USA gives us live TV coverage and more exposure for are sport then I say go for it.

How much money do you think Bud Light spends on advertising every year?
I’ll bet it’s more than all the MX companies combined.

The question then becomes can we still win?

The French and Aussise will be tuff.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
I would rather have Fro on my team than MC. Now that would be cool.

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
How about Henry if he did some training?? he was faster than RC for a whiles. Stretch you seem to be forgetting a team that has finished 3rd a couple of times and only has 3 million people

Top Bottom