Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
Ok, can anyone suggest a campground in the area ? We plan on riding friday around Noon ish, try to get a place to stay...or cabin for 4 ? Don...?

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Camping on State Land is definitely OK. Couple easy rules:
Must be more than 1 mile from a State Forest Campground.
Must post a Camping Permit, as provided by the DNR. It's just a sheet you fill out and stick to a nearby tree, they are free and available from a DNR office.
Form is here (but you can't use the one you would print as they want it on heavy card stock): http://www.michigan.gov/documents/PR4134pdf_22921_7.pdf

Info/Rules here:
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_10883-31303--,00.html

There's a number of nice spots to camp in the area. We've run CCC events out of a spot just south of CR612 on the Kalkaska & Frederic Loops (pretty sure LMC ran one of the Family Enduros from the one spot as well).
The one on the Frederic Loop is on the two-track (seasonal road sign) just east of the Frederic parking lot. Nice big open area (meadow) there, about 1/10th of a mile south of 612.
The other is on the Kalkaska loop, just north of the ORV Route, east side of Blue Lake Road, 1 mile south of CR612. It's a two track that leads back into an open/meadow area.

Plenty of other nice spots too. Just be warned - there's a very ambitious CO in that area and he _will_ hand out coupons for even minor stuff. He's the one that made headlines in the Great Lakes TrailRider last fall. Make sure you are being legit and there's no problems...

wyatt

Apr 3, 2002
Fred T said:
Man, I was thinking of pulling my boat and fishing some where else, but I finally got a bite! "Da fishin's good"

Freddy,

Two things , first you are now officially known as the "MasterBaiter."

Second judging by your "catch" you should consider a

bait change and no more chumming with Jack Daniels.

Top Bottom