moisture in the flywheel side of the bike

souphmars

Mar 8, 2004
moisture is getting in there where the stator and stuff is-there is suppose to be no moisture in there at all right???-i am thinking it is the gasket-no moisture at all is right ain't it??i hope so i might be able to solve a prob with plugs

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
How much moisture you talking about? Damp? Or puddles?

Do you powerwash your bike or do a lot of creek crossing? If so, don't be surprised by dampness/a little rustiness.

Everything there is solid state on your bike. A little moisture won't hurt it. Some yamabond on the cover surfaces will help. Goop up where the ign. wires exit as well.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Maybe it's condensation? As in sealed up too tight. The engine is hot and when it cools off condensation can form inside areas that are not well vented.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Moisture is bad. clean and dry it out, then a light spray of WD 40 so if it dose get wet it will not rust. I put plenty of Blue Goo on the case too, srew it down light, then next day, tighten it down all the way.

velosapiens

Mar 18, 2002
dunno about you guys, but on my ktm250sx, there is a space in the gasket/side cover interface specifically to allow venting to the area where the flywheel is located. i noticed it when installing a flywheel weight. i don't know why it's there, but i suspect that engine designers may have a good reason for leaving this tiny opening. it is obviously by design, and not just a defect of some kind.

mw

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
Riding through water will draw in water to the LH casing. The engine is hot, when suddenly cooled by the water it creates a vacuum and draws in water. It's almost an impossible battle to overcome this, but besides regular cleaning and WD40'ing in there, I have had most success by...

Put in the standard gasket, but coat it both sides with a fine bead of silicone sealant. put the casing on trying to not dislodge the bead of sealant. then do up the screws but only nip them up. Leave overnignt for the sealant to cure, then do up the screws fully to compress on the home made o ring you just made.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
My CR manual specifically deals with condensation building up behind the flywheel cover. They recommend removing the cover after every ride, giving it shot of brake cleaners, then a blast of silicone.
I found replacing the seal with a new OEM one periodically helps.

Top Bottom