Mojor changes for the 2003 KDX?

KDX Fill

Jan 24, 2002
I read this forum all the time and am suprised that nobody ever ask this question (or maybe they do I just missed it).

Does anyone know if Kawasaki is planning any major design changes to the KDX for 2003 or future years? If someone has industry contacts, or maybe you have just been talking to a knowlegable dealer, let us know what you have found out.

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
IMO, there are some very inexpensive and obvious changes that they could go with to update the bike a bit. What I think would be great would be to offer two different versions. A KDX for trail/entry level racing, and a KDX/R for those who want something closer to race ready.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
There is a new gen KDX, high quality enduro bike, it is called a Gas Gas EC 200/250 ;) j/k I think it was based on the KX, CR and KDX originally.

It will be interesting to see what the deal is between Kawasaki and Suzuki, a DRZ like KLX will be sweet, just what they will do with the KDX is a mystery - my guess is, little or no changes for the next few years.

A yellow KDX will be sweet :moon:

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
So is that merger a done deal Mr. Basher?

Bread

Mar 1, 2002
Well, just take a look sometime at the time line for interchangeable parts on the KDX. Kawasaki is too busy working on the KX's. Maybe they'll beef up the suspension and frame. Other than that, I like mine just fine

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Considering they are going to be banned in 2006, I doubt you are going to see any major changes.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by JamesP
Considering they are going to be banned in 2006, I doubt you are going to see any major changes.

Worldwide, or in the land of the free ?! :think

As far as I can tell, the rest of the world doesn't have a problem with street legal/enduro 2 strokes :ugg:

Ban them how ?, stop them from comming in from mexico or Canada ! wishful thinking on someones part :moon:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I've read on an Australian BB that they no longer bring the KDX into Australia. We still get them here, but I'm curious for how long. They're still a popular bike, even if they are outdated & people slag them all the time. Yes, the suspension needs work, the stock exhaust system sux, but it's also fun to play around seeing what makes a difference & suits your riding style & what doesn't.

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
Although I dont own a KDX, I like them and think they are a great bike, but I doubt that Kawi will update them ever. I bet the bike gets dropped whenever they bring out a new thumper off road bike. That will be a sad day.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
None of this makes any sense, the Japanese manufacturers are handing this market segment to the Europeans - pretty silly if you ask me. When and if Kawasaki drops the KDX, is when you see everyone buying KTM's , Gas Gas and TM - their loss. :silly:

As the KDX is still a strong seller, and requires no development costs, every one Kawasaki sells, returns a good profit, don't see them not making or selling this bike for years to come.

A KDX BUZZ

Jun 10, 2001
This propossed "ban" would only end new production of two stroke vehichles. Because of the high popularity of the kdx, and other two strokers, I think they will survive for a good wile!
Besides, with current Succsessful inovations from Honda & Yamaha, (CRF & YZF), I think Kawi will be developing a KX-KDX light weight thumper...... (HOPEFULLY )!!!!!
Kawi should spend alot of money on research & development on the Kdx
or it will not be able to compete.
I'll buy a 4-stroke kdx!!......Just not in the first year of production!!
Change is good!------'98 kdx 200--'91 kdx 250

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
Man, don't get me wrong, I love my KDX. But what does it compete against? I'm old school and can remember when both Yamaha and KTM had bikes that were in the same class as the KDX. The IT is gone, and the KTM went the race ready route. Now the KDX is the only two stroke enduro bike in its class. If you want to buy a two stoke enduro, the KDX is the only choice unless you go european.

I don't see Kawi changing the bike simply because it has no competion. The KTM 200 is not a trail bike, so Kawi has no worries. I believe the KDX will stay the same until 2005 and have a 10 year model run then call it good. Four strokes from there on out.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by A KDX BUZZ
This propossed "ban" would only end new production of two stroke vehichles.

This is the vexing question and issue, isn't it ?! Who is going to 'ban' these vehicles, how are you going to stop a factory in Japan, China, Europe, Korea from manufacturing two stroke motorcycles. It ain't going to happen.

The ban will be for the importation of these motorcycles.

Now the KDX is the only two stroke enduro bike in its class
The last time I looked, both KTM and Gas Gas were producing motorcycles primarily for the enduro class ! - which is probably why the enduro class these days are dominated by the euro machines !

What class are you talking about ?!

Last edited:

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
"The last time I looked, both KTM and Gas Gas were producing motorcycles primarily for the enduro class ! - which is probably why the enduro class these days are dominated by the euro machines !

What class are you talking about ?!"

I love the KDX(Owned 3) but the Euro's eat the KDX :eek: "out of the box" - unless you spend $1,000 to upgrade them. My Vor or GG are better - even in the 80's euro's were better - BUT you have to spend the JACK!

back at it

Mar 30, 2002
I have heard that the EPA is proposing a ban on all 2 stokes for 2006 Does this mean MX ers also? I will keep riding my KDX untill the two stroke police catch me.

ckattner

Oct 4, 2001
Back at it,
I thought this too, but we were both a little bit off. Starting with the 2006 year model, the two-strokes that are made can only be ridden on closed courses. All two-strokes built before the 2006 year model are grandfathered, and can be ridden just as they are now. The point is to slowly fade the two-stroke away. Little additional two-stroke technology will come about, because eventually the only consumers buying two-strokes will be racers, which is a pretty small overall market. Makers will be putting more and more into four-stroke R&D. Sad to say, but eventually, the two-stroke will be history. I hope that this clears things up a little bit.
Collin

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
The Ban would only affect new bikes..the old ones already produced would be legal.....I would also love to see the kdx be upgraded, i think with a better frame and suspenison it would still be a great beginner bike and would allow the rider more room to learn and get faster. Put another voter for the kx frame!! Another thing is i belive that the epa banned two-strokes for open course only so kawasaki could change the bike to a competitoin-opnly model.....and interesting scenario because they would undoubtedly have to upgrade something (kx frame? ) it would be cheap, in house, and cost effective. On top of all of this it would keep one of the most fun bikes out there on the market.
Tim
P.S. try and keep the enduro class, and trail riding fun-biekssepreate...its getting confusing. right now the kdx is meant as a fun bike, not a race bike.

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
My sister works for one of the top 3 Kawasaki dealers in Japan.

When I bought my KDX220R in February, I asked my sister in Yokohama, Japan if she knows anything about the bike. She didn't know about KDX.
But she said no more new two-stroke bikes are sold in Japan. Because Japan signed the protocol at the world environmental conference in Kyoto last year or something, and it has been illegal for motorcycle manufacturers to make two-stroke bikes for Japanese market since then.

She also said U.S. didn't sign the protocol. So I guess Kawasaki still can make two-stroke parts for U.S. market.
I hope that I can get more info from her soon.

Mini
:moon:

Last edited:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Well if the two strokes are heading towards extinction, then the point is, they won't be spending a lot of money upgrading them. I haven't noticed any major KDX upgrades in the past 10 years. I would bet that it would be even less likely when new ones are banned in the US/Canadian Market. WHo cares about the grandfathered ones....it's not like they are going to be updated. Expect your parts to get ridiculously expensive so how long do you expect you are going to be able to afford to keep it running?

Thing is, if you want your KDXs in the US, you need to be making a stink with the EPA...not sitting back thinking that the one you have now is going to last 20 years.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Banning 2-strokes

The folks that think 'ban' means 'not manufacture' are all missing the point. There are PLENTY of other ways to rid the US of the 2-stoke.

Using my lil hotrod as an example. No..it's not 'banned' in the 'AQMA' (air quality maintenance area) of the local valley, but you MUST pass a sniffer test to get it licensed. If you want to spend a weekend or so every two years changing a bumpstick, intake and exhaust systems so you can pass the test (and then change 'em back again), fine. Otherwise you move out of the valley (like I did).

Great if you can move 30 miles and solve the problem, but the feds are going to running the 2-strokes out of the country.

All they need to do is require them to be licensed. THAT means 'regulated'. THAT means they can subject them to noise output (easy to fix that) AND a sniffer test. Try passing a 2-stroke through a sniffer test that's set for 4-strokes. 'They wouldn't apply the same specs to the two different bikes!' you say?

Ha! Does the term, "I'm from the Government. I'm here to HELP,' mean ANYthing to you?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom