Moonrocks 2007 (Feb 16, 17, 18, 19) ?!

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Hi all,
Just emailed Strick, our man in Reno, he says riding is great around there right now, just got a bit of snow but not a problem, first time this year. He said he's happy to help organize, assume that means Porta Potties!

I called the Peppermill, and altho the Motor Lodge is still there, it's been renovated, no more brown shag carpet and gold flecked mirrors. Probably wouldn't like us parking the bikes inside either(!).....now it's called the Montego Bay, with an increased $$ - now is $89.99/Thurs, $119.99/Fri, $129.99/Sat, $119.99/Sun.....

The Atlantis Motor Lodge down the street is a bit cheaper at $89.99/Thur, and $99.99 for each of the last 3 nights.

Hmmmmm. What to do what to do. Will check around for Motel 6 type places. Anyone have suggestions?

We've put the date on our calendar - now.... what do you all think???

-SusanP.
'04crf250x
RandyB.(E-Ticket)
KTM450

tonibaloney

I'm here
Sep 19, 2006
ok, i'm guessing moonrocks is near reno. i'm pretty close to reno, soooo i'm lookin forward to more details....

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Hi Toni,
Moonrocks is a huge riding area about 15 miles north of Reno. This ride started on the Women's Forum 5 years ago as a Valentines Day Ride, it was the brainchild of Natalie (GETMETOCA) and a few others, Firecracker, Bratt, don't remember all. It was a grand time, maybe 30 people showed up (almost half women!), some stayed out at the main area in motor homes, some stayed at the Peppermill in Reno. There were even some very hardy tenters out there.

Once there, Strick had towed in a couple Porta Potties, and organized some ability level ride groups, we met afterwards at a couple dinner places.

The following year it was such a success that the ride was moved to the Organized Ride Forum and grew a bit, was wonderful, the third year even more. The Canadians came in with their motorcycle powered 5 gallon margarita mixer, folks came in from very far away.... one trailer had like 10 bikes on it. People with better memories than I can hop in with more details!

But then 2 years ago and then last year it got cancelled due to snow, so that's why it's not a sure thing - is weather dependent. Which makes it difficult for people who have to get together a big organizing push.

I've been looking for a cheaper motel than the revamped Peppermill Motor Lodge, came up with the Meadow Wood Courtyard, Super 8 Motel (http://www.meadowwoodcourtyard.com/
Anyone familiar with this one?

-Susan
'04crf250x

tonibaloney

I'm here
Sep 19, 2006
alright susan!
sounds pretty damned cool! we're about 4 hrs away from reno. so it would be a fri-mon deal, so far 16-19. my boyfriend and i are usually tenters, but i don't think so for this one brrrr. i will stay posted!

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
I'm in of course. I'll even lead a ride now that I know the trails and I'm marking the fun spots on my GPS.

Try the Nugget Courtyard for a better rate, and the Motel 6 on Victorian is dirt-cheap. Both are a lot closer than the Peppermill.

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
I assume folks are waiting to see what the weather will bring - is great we'll have some local ride leaders!
Hope it goes!!!!

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Hi all,

I just booked Randy and I at: http://www.meadowwoodcourtyard.com/

For the nights of Feb 16, 17 and 18. Is a Super 8 motel, AAA rated, has
good reviews but we've never stayed there and it's pretty inexpensive.

Said we'd be able to park the bike trailer right outside the room. Fri and
Sat, rates $59, Sun is $49.

Strick says the temps are in the 50's during the day, 20's at night.

Jen and Pierre are planning on coming over from San Jose, maybe a couple other friends from the Portland area. Don't know if this is enough to have Strick organize more yet or not, will see as it gets closer - altho we're at 2 weeks now!

-Susan

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
I'm actually going to do something that my wife would like to do for V-Day this year. For the past 4 years it has been my way and now it's her turn.

Have a good time.

neelix3k

Jan 4, 2007
Moonrocks 2/3/07

Just thought I would chime in, I am new to this, and trail riding for that matter, but I was at moonrocks last weekend and it was beautiful. The snow we had in January is all but gone and the trails were perfect. (at least from my noob perspective) Its been raining for the last couple of days but the temps have been in the 50's. Off the subject, is riding in light rain a good idea? just curious cause i was gonna go back this weekend if it was'nt completely pouring! I have also posted some pics from last weekend's moonrocks ride here:

neillockhart,com/moonrocks/

Thanks, any thoughts on riding in rain, or just after rain appreciated!

Neil :nod:

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Great pics, Neil....thanks! You're really getting us amped up here in Portland!

And yes, when it rains down in Southern Californian...they have a real problem with people calling in ....um...."sick" ...so they can go riding!

Sand + light snow or light rain = velcro traction :cool:

Maybe we'll see you there next weekend, eh!

-- E-Ticket

alleycat

Sep 25, 2002
With all the rain we had here last night the riding should be amazing. I was out at the moonrocks three weeks ago and the conditions were the best I have ever seen out there. It was a fantastic day of riding one of the best ever, until my friends rmx blew up. The weather looks great for next weekend too. So count me in! Wait I forgot. Im having surgery next week and won't be able to ride for a week or more. Wow great timing by me. LOL

neelix3k

Jan 4, 2007
Thanks

Thanks for all the replys regarding the rain and ride conditions, i went out on Sunday 2/11 and had a blast. Thanks E-Ticket and Alleycat, Alleycat-good luck with the surgery!

The current outlook for this Saturday is Sunny with a HI of 65! :)

Also took more photos this weekend, view em here:

xxx,neillockhart,com/riding/moonrocks2-11

(Please excuse the shenanigan of trying to post a link)

Hope to see everyone soon!

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
D-36 and anyone else!

Randy and I are heading out of Portland Thurs eve, break the house gravity well and get down the road. Get into Reno Friday afternoon sometime, staying at the Meadow Wood Courtyard. Jen and Pierre and maybe a couple guy friends of theirs are coming over from San Jose on Saturday, staying at the Marriott I think.

We'll head to the same staging area as previous years, silver WRX with trailer, OR plates, on Saturday.

We feel we've ridden there enough times to be okay on our own, but would love to have a local join us! We'll ride Sunday as well, and then head home on Monday.

Neelix's photos cinched it for us - thanks!!!! :')

-Susan

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
What "The Ant" said.... :cool:

Trailer's loaded and waiting in the garage - just waiting for 5:01pm on Thursday to "git on down de road..."

If you might be showing up - reply to this thread which days you might showing up, what type/color of hauling vehicle, what type of dirty-scoot, and any identifying rider characteristics (you know.... horns, tail, funny little non-functioning flight feathers....).

Hope to see you all there!
And if not, hope to make you jealous with some awesome pics. <grin>

Cheers! E-Ticket

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
Silver Tacoma 4x4 PU with 2002 CR250. All kinds of gear strapped to chest protector, chrome-red helmet. I'll ride Sat. and Sun. Maybe even Friday PM after snowboarding.

neelix3k

Jan 4, 2007
I'll be there on Saturday for sure. Look for the Smoke Grey Nissan Frontier 4x4PU, 06 Honda CRF230F, number 88 (for the year I graduated in) ;)

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
We loading this mo-mo's this morning and then hitting the road to Reno.

Yippee...!!!! :ride:

Ride report next week, eh! -- E-Ticket

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
KiwiBird said:
Have fun guys, looks like perfect conditions!

+1

Y'all have fun now, ya hear!!!

We'll be waiting for the RR.

I really enjoyed '04.

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
Way too much fun.

Susan hurt her wrist yesterday (nasty downhill) and didn't ride today. Mick went over the bars in a horrendous crash at the bottom of the drag hill, but he's OK.

neelix3k

Jan 4, 2007
But was he (Mick) smiling when he went over the bars?? Sorry I missed today, I am sooooo sore...Saturday was a blast! Glad everyone was ok in the end!

Cheers!

Gonna go out tomorrow, anyone gonna be there???
:ride:

Top Bottom