_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I am considering buying a hardtail mountain bike for excersize/trail riding/commuting. Have been looking at the GT Avalanche. Looking to spend around 500 bucks. What should I be looking at when comparing other models? Anyone have any recommendations?

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
look at the front shock, the brakes and derailers wheels, etc
and if is your first bike stay away from clipless pedals :whoa:
do you have any place that sells gary fisher bikes?

Cabot

Sep 3, 2007
I just picked up an 06 Specialized Hardrock for $180 used a couple months ago. This bike could have been in the showroom, and I would have geussed it was new.
Was looking for something bigger then my BMX bike to ride around and save gas/ and pit bike at the races.
I like the bike, and have only heard good things about Specialized.

Yeah, depends what you'll use it for. As for looking at new bikes, I'm not sure what you should look for. If your going to be hard on it, single walled rims won't be good. Also, do you want disc brakes? Mine doesn't have em, and my brakes work really good.

mxmatthew

Apr 7, 2003
Back when I used to mountain bike quite a bit a Specialized Stumpjumper would have been good for what you want to use it for. Good ergos and fork for trails but the frame isn't too extreme that you will get uncomfortable on long rides.

They may have changed now, and same with the price, but a suggestion nonetheless........

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I've been to all the bike websites I can think of. I've spec'd alot of bikes in my pricerange and they are all a give and take. I have a GT dealer that does business at my shop, so I'de like to return the favor. He also carries Mongoose, and they have a decent looking rig, but it's 100 bucks more. I would rather get a bike and change some stuff as I go. The Avalanche 3.0 disc is what I keep looking at. It lists for 479, has mech disc, lower line Shimano deraileurs, Alex double wall rims, Suntour fork w/lockout. Seems like a good starting point at least. I was hoping someone with mechanical disc could give thier opinion. I've never ridden them. I imagine the rear would be fine, and I see you can get a hydraulic setup for about 100 bucks. I plan on using it to ride to work which is only a mile from home. My kids just got thier first pedal bikes, so we do alot of laps around the neighborhood. I have a 20inch dirt jump bike now, and it's not fun to ride far. Fun to mess around on, not for distance. I tried clipless once and felt like I was gonna end up sliding across the ground on my face with the bike smashing me in harder. Didn't like it.

Thanks for the responses guys!

mxmatthew

Apr 7, 2003
I have 6 inch mechanical disk brakes. Unless you're charging down some mountain they are just fine. They can still flip you over the bars pretty easy. And if the one you're looking at has 8 inch rotors, I would think that they would easily be more than enough.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
To me the brand isn't that big of deal its the components that count. I haven't paid a lot of attention to bikes for a while but for a commuter bike and something to chase the kids on the Avalanche 3.0 should be fine. But if you think that you might eventually start taking it on trail rides I would look at the Avalanche 1.0. It comes with Deore/LX shifters. Anything below that really isn't dirt worthy.

Shimano components go from Deore(OK)..LX(Good)..XT(better)..XTR(best).

Anything below that is pure commuter bike.

I have no idea on the forks any more but even the cheapest probably give a pretty nice ride compared to what was out there 5 years ago.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I realize anything in my budget isn't gonna be hooked up very well. I just want something that'd gonna hold up OK to some light trail and commuting. If I get more serious off-road I can always spend the 100 bucks on better drivetrain components. I went and picked up a Mountain Bike Action mag this evening and I'll do some more research on it before I make a decision. Thanks for the help.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
I have a Giant Yukon that has 4 inches of travel in the front and disk brakes. I like it, but Im thinking about upgrading.

Cabot

Sep 3, 2007
Unless your flying down mountains at 50+ MPH Hydrolic brakes on a pedal bike is just a bad excuse for not knowing how to set your brakes up.

Back when I used to BMX kids were buying $120+ brake setups and they still worked like crap. My $50 setup let me use a single finger with little force.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Look for the ability to upgrade parts. Make sure that you can change the chainrings without having to replace the whole crank (some low end bikes have 1 piece sets). I find the trigger shifters to be easier to deal with than twist shift. Double walled rims are a must for any dirt biker, we have difficulty staying on the ground. Even if it is a first MTB, don't fear clipless pedals, they just take a bit of getting used to. I recommend the egg beaters, and more specifically the Crank Brothers Mallet (which has a nice platform). What you should avoid is the toe cage, it only gets in the way. You can upgrade pedals later. Also, make sure that the shop takes the time to fit you to the bike, then fit the bike to you. Any good shop will do this. Since forks are quite expensive to upgrade, try to get good ones.

25Cameron25

Jul 15, 2008
Hey Joe (haha good song) just looking around and saw this thread. Finally something I know alot about. I have been doing downhill mountain biking my whole life and just bought a dirtbike 3 months ago. Have you bought your hardtail yet? Or are you still planning on getting one?

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
clipless pedals are scary. Back when i used to bmx bike race I used them for a few races. I got hit in the air but my pedals didnt unclip. I landed and ended up rolling down the downramp with my bike attached and then proceded to get hit/run over by about 4 people. I stopped using them after that. But I was looking into getting a mountain bike to do some downhill stuff. It looks like a lot of fun and good exercise.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
25Cameron25 said:
Hey Joe (haha good song) just looking around and saw this thread. Finally something I know alot about. I have been doing downhill mountain biking my whole life and just bought a dirtbike 3 months ago. Have you bought your hardtail yet? Or are you still planning on getting one?
Congrats on the bike and getting into the sport! I did buy the Avalanche. It's been working fine so far, but I have yet to get to the trails with it. It's just been too hot. I've ridden it a couple miles to work and back a few times and countless trips around the neighborhood with the twins. I am pretty impressed with the mechanical disc brakes, other than the fact that the rotors weren't very true when I picked it up. Once I got em set up and broken in they work great. Not as grabby as V-brakes, but seem to have the same force. At least enough to pitch you over the bars if you wish. The seat sucks, period. I guess we'll see how it likes the trail once it cools down a bit.

What kind of D/H rig do you have?

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
If you are going to use it for commuting, look into the street slicks. They let you air up your tires in the 80-90psi like a road tire. Lots less rolling resistance. It takes 10 min to take them off and switch back to knobbies.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The Kenda Nevegals that come on it can run up to 60 or 80 I think. The knobbies definately aren't the best street tire, even with high air pressure.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
JD_MXRacer said:
clipless pedals are scary. Back when i used to bmx bike race I used them for a few races. I got hit in the air but my pedals didnt unclip. I landed and ended up rolling down the downramp with my bike attached and then proceded to get hit/run over by about 4 people. I stopped using them after that. But I was looking into getting a mountain bike to do some downhill stuff. It looks like a lot of fun and good exercise.

If you get used to them and have the spring tension set right(if adjustable) they aren't that bad.I would much rather have clipless than clips and straps anyday.

Steve

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
That stuff all freaks me out. I've ridden 20inch dirt jumping bikes since I was about 12, so strapping my feet to anything is a very odd feeling. I see no reason for it honestly. I took the pedals off my 20inch and put em on the GT. They're sealed platforms that do a great job of holding onto your foot, and not too nasty if it should come off.

Anybody ever do any dirt jumping with a hardtail? :p

25Cameron25

Jul 15, 2008
What kind of forks did the Avalanche come with? Just wondering? and I have a Specialized SX Trail II. Such a sick bike, Avid Juicy 7 Disc Brakes, Fox 36 Forks...oh man. I just got tired of pedalling and decided to twist instead :ride:(actually just wanted to hit 100ft doubles :laugh: ) and its made me realize how the small the mountain bike industry is...$60 for my Maxxis downhill tires...$60 for on sale Dunlop D756. Its a bummer because mountain biking is so much fun but so expensive. But welcome to the sport. Its addictive.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
_JOE_ said:
That stuff all freaks me out. I've ridden 20inch dirt jumping bikes since I was about 12, so strapping my feet to anything is a very odd feeling. I see no reason for it honestly. I took the pedals off my 20inch and put em on the GT. They're sealed platforms that do a great job of holding onto your foot, and not too nasty if it should come off.

What it does is increase pedaling efficiency. With standard pedals you only have a 180 degree power stroke where with clipless you have a full 360 degrees.They do take a little bit to get used to and not for everyone but if you're putting in some cross country miles in they are worth it.

Steve

mxmatthew

Apr 7, 2003
_JOE_ said:

I used to do some djing. I landed on my head a few times and then never really did it much anymore, though haha. I feel way more comfortable in the air on a dirt bike now.

I agree on the pedals. I've ridden through some super rocky/rooty stuff with my hardtail. I have the bmx style platform pedals and they stay glued to my feet. However, they're not very friendly to shins......

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I raced bmx for a bit and ran those caged pedals, you know, the ones that have the shark teeth. Those are REALLY nasty.

Top Bottom