Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
How was the race?!?

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I ended up going to this one alone. When I got there on Saturday and went to sign up my only choices for rows was 1 or 45 or higher. I chose 1 thinking that it would be an advantage not having riders to pass and avoid the bottlenecks that can happen towards the back. If I had it to do over again I would have taken row 45 as the long course riders rode a different course each loop than short course.

This was one of the new rule enduro's where you ride a section of trail until you get to a check and then sit around with your thumb up your butt for 10-15 minutes, line up and your row leaves at the same time and ride as hard as you can until you hit the next check and repeat.

Three of the five guys on my row also rode B class which could have been a problem causing us to battle with each other and lose time but I quickly found that one of them was way faster than me and the other guy and I were close so I let him go ahead and I could keep up with him until I would make a mistake and then he would get away. I think I only beat him through one section where he hit neutral going up a steep hill and had to make a second attempt at it.

First loop they ran us through a new section called SOB (Son Of Bills woods) and it was tight and nasty, lots of 1st gear stuff. Third loop we went through Bills Woods and it was easy by comparison to SOB. This was where I realized that row 1 was a bad idea. They had already ran the short course riders through Bills woods on loop one and there were no leaves on the trail and the corners were all bermed up unlike the rest of the course.

I felt like a turtle all day getting smoked by guys on my own row, it seemed like every time I tried to push and get going I would blow a turn or make a mistake and loose more time so I just went for a finish knowing that I am one race short in the series anyway.

I ended up 5th in Open B, 36th overall B. 81 points

For comparison:
Stanbagger finished 3rd in 250B, 6th overall B. 62 points
Grady finished 1st 50+B, 22nd overall B. 73 points.

I'm crying foul for home field advantage.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
Derek,

With results like that, I dont feel so bad when yall leave me in the woods. Its nice to know that you cant keep up with the best.

A lot of people thought the course was challenging but not the hardest that they have had at Muenster.

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
This was the first Enduro that I have been on in a LONG time (27 years!) but we had a blast, true we ride here a lot, but they looped some stuff together in a way that most of the time, we had no idea where we were, and have never ridden most of this stuff.

It was a lot of fun, I hope to hit it again next year.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Well, I just made an interesting discovery. I was never comfortable on the bike at Red River and yesterday at the 500 went the same way. Today Chuck borrowed my gauge to check his tires and didn't believe the guage. He dug around and found two in his truck to compare to mine. Both read 4 psi higher. I felt like a hero after dropping the pressure back down to 12psi. One guage headed to the dump. Think I will buy a couple so that I have something to compare. I felt like the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
DWreck said:
Well, I just made an interesting discovery. I was never comfortable on the bike at Red River and yesterday at the 500 went the same way. Today Chuck borrowed my gauge to check his tires and didn't believe the guage. He dug around and found two in his truck to compare to mine. Both read 4 psi higher. I felt like a hero after dropping the pressure back down to 12psi. One guage headed to the dump. Think I will buy a couple so that I have something to compare. I felt like the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz.

that's funny. i remember when i picked up my new 2000 cr250. i took it out to the local crappy riding place and was doing the break in. i couldn't believe how awful the suspension was. the front was deflecting off everything. the back was choppy and bouncing everywhere. i was seriously considering taking it back. after a few disappointing laps, i checked the tire pressures. 21 psi in the front and 19 in the back. i dropped them to 12 and it rode like a dream. i was so relieved.

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
When I got my new Pumkin a year ago, and took it for a spin in the field across the street, it was horrible, checked the front air pressure, was over 40 POUNDS! :pissed:

I think the new bike 'put together' dudes just put a lot into them, makes it easier to push onto the showroom floor.

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Enduro_Nut said:
WOW... I post about as much as Grady rides enduro's!! :yikes:

Glad to hear you finally did it!!!!!! :nod:

Hey Roger, you still kicking out there!

Yea, I don't do too many races, but I promised myself that I would do one when I got the new 530 XCRW, Loads better at woodsy type stuff than the 525 SX.

May not do another till next year @ RRMT. But I would like to ride one @ the 500 in Stillwater, that was my second race ever in 1977, was on a 1976 Honda MR250, came in 2nd place C 250 class, I think it was the 'Golden Eagle Enduro'?. The buddy I went with came home with a cast and broken arm.

I liked the format @ RRMT, just a bunch of 'Test' sections, where you just haul Azz. mixed in with 'Rest' sections. Low points wins.

Top Bottom