Proxy

N. Texas SP
Mar 14, 2005
I'm sure most of you are familiar w/this area (tight woods section at Red River) but I just rode it for the first time yesterday and... :yikes:

Definitely the most technical section I've ever ridden. The trees were very tight, but its the gnarly rocks that really kept testing my abilities. I learned very quickly (if after 4 "ejections" is quickly) not to look anywhere except where I wanted to go, otherwise I was going to cause myself an untimely exit from my bike.

There were a few different connecting loops marked on the trail. I was with 3 other riders and we agreed to stop after 1 loop and get out of the woods to move on to other areas. Unfortunately, somewhere after the first loop, 2 of us got separated from the guy who knew his way around. We ended up making at least 1.5 more loops before we ran across 2 other riders who were also lost. After the obligatory "Do you guys know how to get out of here? Me neither..." conversation, we decided to get back on the trail and look for ways out. I suggested hitting the first open clearing we could find, to see if we could at least see one of the main trails that led to the entrance at the bridge.

We were in one of the creekbeds (I remember 2 of them), this was the more wide-open, rocky one if it makes any difference. As we headed out of the creekbed, we saw a clearing and were able to find our way to a locked gate on a gravel road. No biggie, we were able to just follow the fence-line back down to the beginning of the trail under the bridge. Phew.

I have never been so sore from a day's ride... but hey, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger (I hope) :cool: That's what I get for forgetting my GPS :nod:

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
You're lucky. Many guys who get into Bill's Woods just end up taking their bikes apart and carrying them out piece by piece. I haven't ridden BW for a while, as it's usually closed when I go. But it's a workout.

Proxy

N. Texas SP
Mar 14, 2005
Enduro_Nut said:
Who were you riding with and how did you get in??

I was with StormTrooper (Jim) from the KTMtalk forum and 2 of his buddies. The entrance under the bridge was open.

Joe Diver

N. Texas SP
Mar 21, 2005
Bill's Woods....is that the area to the east of the creek woods, usually beyond a locked gate?

Proxy

N. Texas SP
Mar 14, 2005
Joe Diver said:
Bill's Woods....is that the area to the east of the creek woods, usually beyond a locked gate?

The way we went is through that gravel road that goes straight between 2 pastures (heading straight for the river), then make a left, then make the next left you can (I think). You'll be heading down to a creekbed and there's a bridge (overpass) to your left. You enter by going under that bridge in the creekbed, but there is usually a fence going across it.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Proxy:

Ix-nay on the ill's-Bay oods-Way alk-tay. Better to keep that on the down-low, if you know what I mean.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I'm just goofing around, Proxy. I don't know whether BW is open or not. I know everybody's been riding it. I personally would probably check with Rebecca or Lewis for permission first, because if I got banned from Muenster I'd have to commit suicide. Or take up golf, which would be worse. Peace out. Merry Christmas.

cdcracing

Jan 2, 2004
They have banned a couple of people for being back there . They probably forgot to put the fence back up after the enduro . If you get caught you might be looking for another place to ride .

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
cdcracing said:
They have banned a couple of people for being back there . They probably forgot to put the fence back up after the enduro . If you get caught you might be looking for another place to ride .

YUP!!!! Well said Charlie!!

Proxy

N. Texas SP
Mar 14, 2005
Interesting info guys, thanks for the heads up :nod:

the_monk

Sep 1, 2004
I had a very simiar experience in Bill's Woods. Mine happened when it was about 100 degrees, I had no water, and it took me about 2 hours to get out.

When I was out there two weeks ago, I noticed that the entire fence was down, and they had bulldozed out the creek under the bridge. For LMS, maybe?

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
roger,

maybe you should mention to lewis or rebecca that it is open. it doesnt say anything around the bridge about staying out. last time we were there, the arrows were still up. the fence is gone and and it doesnt look like anybody on a bike took it down. it would be great if it was clear one way or another if we shouldnt be back there. it really is a great place to ride, what would really be cool is if they put up a pipe gate that only a motorcycle would fit. aka no 4 wheelers.

Joe Diver

N. Texas SP
Mar 21, 2005
Well, that was not the area I was thinking...but good to know it's a big ??? about the legality of that area.

I too would be in a world of hurt if I got banned....or buy a new vehicle and grow a beard...

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
its the same with petes gate. when closed, i stay out. when open, i ride. i dont want to be somewhere where i am not supposed to be but it would be nice if it was marked if we are not supposed to be in there. maybe they are thinking about leaving it open. i think it would be cool if they did only if they could restrict it to 2wheelers though. quads have ruined a lot of good single track up there.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
There is some great riding back there, as well as the off-limits pipeline and schoolhouse sections. I have always assumed that if the fence is down, it is game to ride there. How could they ban you for riding somewhere when there is no indication that you shouldn't be there? Taking down or sneaking under the fence is a different matter entirely...

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Realistically, they aren't going to ban anybody the first time they get caught, especially when there aren't any signs up. But I just like to stay on their good side, so I try to be a good boy.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
tx246 said:
roger,

maybe you should mention to lewis or rebecca that it is open. it doesnt say anything around the bridge about staying out. last time we were there, the arrows were still up. the fence is gone and and it doesnt look like anybody on a bike took it down. it would be great if it was clear one way or another if we shouldnt be back there. it really is a great place to ride, what would really be cool is if they put up a pipe gate that only a motorcycle would fit. aka no 4 wheelers.

Good point - hopefully I will head up there for a ride this week and tell them about it. A month a go 3 guys got lost in there and had to call the sheriff and in turn they called Lewis and he got them out... he wasn't a happy camper! Luckily they had a cell phone w/signal!! :laugh:

lust450

Nov 20, 2005
yea, i rode bills woods for the first around lms took 3 hours of non stop riding to get out thought i was lost alot and i was , but the trails are awesome and sad to say the fence is back up!!!

Top Bottom