My First "run-in" While Riding... :( (long)

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
Well I suppose it had to happen eventually... but after meeting dozens upon dozens of really nice people on the trails in my oh-so-new career at dirtbiking, I finally met my first nightmare...

On Saturday, the weather was absolutely gorgeous! In the 70's with bright sunshine... It had rained a few days in the previous week, but had 3-4 days of solid sun to make the riding conditions very enjoyable! The soft ground was that kind of tacky firm soil with water only in specific run off streams and easy to avoid if you wanted to.

There was a hill climbing competition that day at the riding area and so I was forced to ride less familiar trails on the other side of the park that wasn't closed off, but that worked out very well because I found a great loop that contained moderate hills, rocky stuff, wide trails and twisty technical stuff all on the same loop. It took me about 20-25 minutes to get all the way around one lap, and I found it very enjoyable because after about 4 or 5 laps I became familiar with the conditions, what was coming up ahead and so on... With that kind of confidence, I could go faster than I would have had everything been unfamiliar. It was great fun for me.

That is until about the 8th "lap" (I had stopped once for some lunch and was just getting started again) While I was negotiating a short climb, suddenly a big bore (sounded like it) 4-stroke Yamaha went blasting by me at a VERY impressive speed! Even though the the climbing face of the hill path was very wide (about 20-30 feet) the rider shot past me with only about 3 feet of distance between us. I got a full on face of dirt from his roost as he continued up the hill and disappeared over the top.

I thought to myself "Hmmm, maybe I just picked the best line going up and he was using it too, good for me :) " and I left it at that... A bit later and he passed me again; I suppose he was on the same loop as me, this time I was on a flat section of a trail, and he passed on the inside and as he was going by very quickly again, I noted that there was a blip of the throttle on his part just as his rear tire was lined up on me and again i got roosted with a cloud of dust...

Ok, Maybe just bad timing I said to myself this time... Watching him further down the trail there was a group of riders that looked like an adult and two kids on smaller bikes. They were tooling along pretty slowly in the opposite direction and this guy, barely slowing down whips in between them pulling a slight wheelie.

The two younger riders were obviously rattled by this and pulled far off the trail as he was approaching. After he passed them (again in a large cloud of dust) the Adult rider stopped and looked back at that guy as he again disappereared around a bend.

When I got up to the other three riders, the Man with the two kids said "That's the second time he's done that" I told him what happened to me twice already and he responded that he was taking his kids to another trail.

In a kind of really sad cosmic coincidence I was on exactly the same climb as the other one he roosted me on and sure enough I hear the rumble of a loud 4stroke coming up behind and this time I just went straight and braced for the roosting cloud which I indeed got for the THIRD time...

This time when I got to the top of the hill there was another group of riders there (they looked about college age and were off their bikes obviously relaxing and enjoying the view from the top...

I stopped next to them and said "Hi" and decided this would be a great place to just get a breather and a drink and hope the other rider would eventually go somewhere else... I talked with the group for a while and they were talking about how the KDX was a great trail bike (and a great beginner bike as I told them that I was a beginner) and they agreed with that as well... We were jabbering on in friendly banter for a good 10 minutes and sure enough, here comes nightmare rider blasting up the hill again, but this time I wasn't there to roost.

He gets to the top of the hill and this time stops and yells something at me... I didn't hear him and was actually hoping in a naively stupid way that maybe it was going to be something nice...

"I said if you went a little slower you'd be F$&*#ing stopped!"

That really got to me, and not really thinking I just blurted out "If you went a little faster, you could be an A$$ to more people per hour"

I'm not really a confrontational person at all, and so it kind of caught me off balance that he started to get off his bike. MUCH to my relief though two of the riders in the group I was talking to came forward and told him to just keep on riding. He flipped us all off and with me breathing a sigh of relief, he rode away.

After talking it over with the group I found out that they had seen him once already bombing down the trail they had been on oblivious to them or apparently any thought of safety or consideration... They shook their heads about the incident as I did, and I told everyone I was heading back down to the staging area and they offered to have me ride down with them since they were heading in that direction to pick up the next trail.

I accepted their offer and made it back to the car without incident. I was actually leaving at the time of the last encounter anyway, so at least not all timing was bad that day, but it still put a damper on the riding that had me dwelling on it the whole way home...

Hopefully these kinds of encounters are few and far far between...

Anyone ever have run ins like this?

Thanks for listening to me babble...

Feanor

Last edited:

2wheeler

Dec 9, 2004
It's people like that, that give the rest of us a bad reputation. Sorry to here you had to go through that. The good thing is that they are a whole lot more good people than people like him. Some of the best people that I have ever met, where in the woods. I have had people I never met before stop and help me and use their tools and stay there as long as it took.

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
Sorry to hear that happened to you. I haven't had any trouble like that. Of course, the guy I ride with the most is 6'4" tall and weighs 295. People are pretty nice to us! I really hate to hear about a guy being a jerk around little kids. Just learning to ride is tough enough for them without a moron like that intimidating them. You can always see what truck he drives when he takes a break, and fix his brakes though. Hehehe, kidding. Sort of.

hockeyboy

Oct 13, 2003
I had a similar incident while at a M/X practice track. A realy fast guy on a kx250 was tearing around the track. I was amazed at how fast this guy was, and how fearless he was on jumps. This track was only about a mile long so he passed me many times during the day. I noticed that on a couple of his passes he nearly clipped me as he shot by me. I thought that I must have made a mistake in my line, because this guy was so good, that he wouldn't have made one. A couple of laps later as I was coming to a small uphill double followed by a left hand sweeper and a table top jump, I heard someone approching behind me. I didn't want to stop on the uphill because I would never get up it, and I wanted to keep my speed up for the table top. After the table top I slowed before the next turn. As I slowed I put up my left hand, and looked over my shoulder giving way to this faster rider. Just then the guy on the KX block passes me and hit my left handlebar, I almost went down. Now I knew that was no accident! I followed him off the track to his van. When I caught up to him I used every foul word that I knew as i cussed him out. I realized that he was a jerk and I didn't want to get arrested for punching him. So I just packed up my bike and went home. I was having such a good day and having alot of fun. In 2 minutes that guy ruined it. Its funny, I've ridden practices with that guy since. As he lapped me he has always passed me with plenty of room to spare. This has been my only bad experience with any dirt biker.

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
It is guys like this that just bring out the worst in me! Learning to ride very young I had to tolerate this. It certainly wasn't the norm by a long shot but enough to ruin more than one day of riding. Somebody tell me just what an adult on a 250 gets out of roosting children on 80's. I just don't get it. Only once since those days has this come up for me and it wasn't me it was happening too. Some jerk was really messing with these kids on their 100's and 125's. They were doing hill climbs and everytime they would get started uphill he would roost them on the way up much like what you described. I watched for awhile and finally decided that enough was enough. To make this short lets say that Mr. Jerk did not like banging his 250 bars with my 300 EXC on the way up the hill. Once over the top he slides and falls over in some rocks. I turned and pulled up beside him and said that he should pick on someone his own size. He muttered a few words about my family and sexual orientation and I went back down. Parked my bike over out of the way and just waited. Mr. Jerk went elsewhere. He didn't even come back down the hill. The 125 guys thought that was the coolest thing since tank shroud graphics and all of them wanted a 300 EXC. I always wondered if those kids did anything to egg him on but finally decided that it didn't matter. What he was doing was dangerous and that don't cut it with me. Things that I wouldn't do if I were leading a hare scramble and came up on slower riders. Anyway, I didn't mean to ramble but these things really piss me off. Will I do something like that again? Yep! This is my sport and we ain't got time for such things! It's dangerous enough as it is.

Dan

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Yeah, there are jerks in all parts of society, dirt biking is no different.

If it makes you feel any better, that same dude is the guy with road rage. He’s the same guy that cuts in front of everyone else standing patiently in line. He’s that loud-mouth jerk cursing in front of your children.

That guy is just a jerk…and it’s his problem, not ours. Let him go by and hopefully he’ll hit something hard while he’s busy showing everyone how important he is.

Last edited:

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
You guys are good. And yeah picking on kids is for whimps. I personally always find the biggest baddest person around when i want to pick on someone. I do what i came to do then run like ...

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Me and the kid were out riding some trails a few weeks ago at Hollister.. He passed up this couple on a long straight right at a jump.. So when i came up on them the guy moved right in front of me, so i swerve over to go around the other side, he moves over.. So im behind him and he keeps looking back at me giving me shots of roost :laugh: So i finally pass and gave him a nice shot, w/out the look back :nener: I then passed her at a slower rate, she had nothing too do with it.. SO i get up too the end where the kid is waiting for me, here comes my new buddy.. On his nice brand new all white plastic, polished out blingin' cr250, he stops his bike right in front of me, locks up his front brake and tries too dish out some roost, cept his bike wheelied out from under him and went flipping along w/him :laugh: We started laughing, the guy was hella embrarassed, he got up mouthing off but i couldnt hear due too my helmet.. I just looked at him and said "Nice day too ride dirt bikes ain't it!!" :laugh:

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
I just wanted to thank everyone for the replies... It's funny because even though I know, and it was mirrored in most of the sentiments; that this is all his problem and not mine... Situations like this always bother me to no end. I just dwell on the uncomfortable feelings and wonder "Why was that person like that?"

Anyhow, writing about it was a great way of getting it off my chest and confirming for me that in offroad, and hopefully most other adventures in life there are more good people than bad...

Thanks Again!

Feanor

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I've never had any problems like you guys describe. I've been roosted by riding buddies, but that's expected. I did have some old guy yell at me on one trail for being there, even though my engine was off and I was coasting (no motorized area, but I need to get along it to connect a loop of trails). Everybody I meet on the trails is always very friendly. Must be a Canadian thing.... :P

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
A friend of mine was riding with her little girl (who was on an LT80 quad). My friend moved over to let a guy past & hoped that the little one would move, too. Unfortunately at the time there was nowhere for her to move to, so the a*hole rider decided to run up the back of her - just nudging her. I don't know what the rider would've done if she'd been on two wheels, but I hope it made his day that by this manoeuvre he made a 6 or 7yo too scared to ride for quite some time (she was in tears after that).

I went to a race early last year and it took me until the drive home to realise that all the riders who past me were not being a*holes & roosting me on purpose - it was a case of they'd gone past & then gave the bike a handful forgetting I was even there or not realising how much roost they were kicking up (they'd been really nice about passing me) - my regret for that day was not working that out sooner as then it wouldn't have upset me & ruined my fun riding.

Feanor, there are some tossers out there but there are more awesome people than bad apples & the bad apples don't infect the good ones. Ignore that dude & remember the neat people you met on your ride.

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
While it's true that there are knuckeheads in every walk of life, land access is becoming such a politically fragile issue that it only takes a handful of reckless, rude idiots to get a trail closed. Whether we like it or not, we have to police our fellow riders or risk getting lumped in the same category.

We have a politically hot situation where I live in that the 4-wheeler association has done a great job of negociating land access, has enormous membership, organization, and power, and there are lots of places to ride. However, the 4-wheelers hate 2 wheelers, and we aren't allowed to join their trail network. They coach their members to run 2 wheelers off "their" trails.

We've lobbied hard about the benefits of teaming up, sharing administrative and trail maintenance work, adding to the money pot, etc., but to no avail. I have a lot of friction with the 4 wheeled crowd, and unfortuately for them I'm not shy to push back a bit. I carry a camera with me, and take pictures of all the shirtless, helmetless, beer drinking types riding with 3 of their kids piled on the luggage rack and send a date-stamped photo with GPS location to their branch of the 4 wheeler association, and I keep a log of all my less-than-friendly encounters. Banshees ripping through off-limits bogs, litter piles from trailside lunches, I photograph it all.

At the same time, I also log and photo the efforts of my 2 wheeled buddies doing trail maintenance, riding with protective gear, and generally acting responsibly.

Every few months I sit with the regional organizers of the 4-wheeler club and show them my latest collection of tantalizing photos and transcripts, and talk about the need for us to collaborate on the level of responsible enthusiasts, not on the number of wheels on our machines. They have used an us-versus-them argument to assuage land-owners into granting access to 4-wheelers based on the old "...we're not a bunch of motocross riding teenagers" speech.

In other words, they elevate their image by trodding on ours. That's a great idea short-term, but now they find themselves with a growing percentage of loud, fast high performance 4 wheelers and helmetless clods wearing wifebeaters, and they've got a policing problem.

Long story short, by default 2 wheelers have a bad rap, deserved or not. By default, nobody wants bikes on their property. "Dirtbiker" conjures up the image of an irresponsible trespasser with a shrieking unmuffled 2 stroke flying down a hiking trail, or a bunch of goons trying to get big air in the local gravel pit. My hat is off to the snowmobile and 4 wheeler associations for the level of organization and land access they have secured...at least they understand how the game works.

If you run across a situation like Feanor's, I wouldn't hesitate to contact the cops and get the few rogue idiots yanked off the trail. At the very least it sends the message that all dirtbikers are not the same, and that it's the responsible, organized ones who are in control. Failing that, carry a shovel and hide his body.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Had a run in with one of the TREE HUGGERS yesterday. Was riding the ridges which paralells the Appalachian Trail in Orange County NY. Most of my ridings is along powerlines & 150 Acres of private property which the owner allows, except during Hunting Season (Don't Argue with an Old Italian Guy w/a .30-06). Any way, as I exited the trail a car pulls off the road quickly and a guy gets out w/camera in hand and starts taking pics. I looked at him, waved and continued on my way. I was thinking A-Hole. So I turn around up the trail and continue back and stop along the dirt that ajoins the road w/Powerlines. Cameraman comes out of know where and gets out of his car. I position the bike in the direction of a quick getaway incase he's one of those HUMPS that likes to push people from there bikes. Anyway he tells me that he is a volunteer with the NY/NJ Trail Conference and starting Summertime State Rangers will be ticketing riders who venture into the Appalachin Trail Area. This is not just NY. So riders beware if you ride in proxcemity to this trail look for YELLOW MARKINGS on the trees that indicate you are on this type of property. I stated to him, that on Numerous occassions, I've picked up Clothing, Beer Bottles and assorted Items and left the at roadside in plastic bags for P/U. I understand that there is a small percentage of idiots out there that disturb delicated hills, cut trees as well as cut through baricades that are ment to KEEP US OUT. If you come across something like this, DON'T DO IT, because this is what it leads to is increased Enforcement. After talking with him he deleted the picture, before I could ask for an 8x10. Just pass the word from Georgia to Maine :p

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
Quad-riders are just jealous of bike riders because they're too fat to ride one. All my friends that ride quads are pretty heavy guys, while all my dirt-biking buddies are thin and in shape. Weird...
Also, quads can carry a LOT more stuff on their machines than we can... this stuff usually ends up as litter around the trails. Most offroad dirtbikers have only what they can carry in small pouches. They don't carry cases of beer, lunch boxes, 2-liters of Coke with them like the quad-riders do.
I understand both types can and will litter, but MOST dirt-bikers don't carry that much with them.

Top Bottom