Iluvdirt123

Aug 20, 2008
I own a 1986 Honda CR. It never usually has problems and is always running great, one of the best 125's ever made in my opinion. Im having a problem that i cant figure out. i can shift down into first without a problem, but when i shift into second and start to move it drops back into neutral. can anyone explain?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
You should check that the shift lever hasn't slipped a notch or been bent up. If the lever is running into the frame or some other obstacle it may not be getting the shift selector all the way into gear.

Rod

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Bent shaft, loose detent rollers springs or stops on the drum, the pawls on the star selector in the drum(backwards they will hang up), the spring on the shift shaft. Pull the clutch off and have a look. And it is possible to drop it on the shifter and make it jump out of alignment on the shift shaft fork and star selector. Inside the tranny can be the fork worn or the dogs pushing apart.

Iluvdirt123

Aug 20, 2008
:cool: its ok i have a Clymers honda cr 1981-88 manual so thank you for the offer. the problem was the drain plug for the oil was too big and it was interfering with the whole shifting mechanism. It was a big relief to find out it was just that and not something i would have to replace. so thank all you guys for the suggestions you were very helpful

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Iluvdirt123 said:
:cool: its ok i have a Clymers honda cr 1981-88 manual so thank you for the offer. the problem was the drain plug for the oil was too big and it was interfering with the whole shifting mechanism. It was a big relief to find out it was just that and not something i would have to replace. so thank all you guys for the suggestions you were very helpful
In a million years I do not believe anyone would have pulled that one out of their arse! Thanks for sharing, go tear it up!

Top Bottom