KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
Well, I knew my clutch was about worn out so I opened her up tonight to see what the problem was. This was when my nightmare started. I took the pressure plate off and noticed that it has some serious grooves carved in it! The Hinson is $158. Then I noticed that the clutch basket has some serious notches in it. BIG notches! The thing is garbage. The Hinson basket is $190. My clutch plates were worn thin, and two of the plates with the fibers on them were broke into pieces! This would explain all of the rattling coming from the clutch. A new EBC clutch kit costs $100.
So, I figured I would go ahead and get the clutch basket out and order the parts. That nut that holds the inner hub and clutch basket on is really kicking my *censored*! I measured the nut or at least I thought I did, and I went to Auto Zone to buy a socket. I get back home, and the thing is the wrong size. I measure again, go back to Auto Zone, hassle with the knuckleheads that work there, and buy the next size up figuring that it MUST be it! WRONG! Boy I was pissed. I went back to Auto Zone, and they didn't have any sockets that were bigger. I got my money back went back home, and just took the whole damn bike with me to another Auto Zone. I finally got the right size socket and brought it all home, unloaded the bike and started working again. While trying to remove that stupid nut, I busted one of the pegs off the inner clutch hub! My wife thought I had dropped the motorcycle on my head by the way I was screaming and cursing. I knew I had seen how much an inner hub costs and I knew they weren't cheap. Sure enough, they're $270 for a Hinson. So, I'm looking at well over $700 in repairs. To make things worse, some of the pieces of busted up clutch plates are unaccounted for. I'm sure they're inside my tranny somewhere. Hopefully they are just behind the clutch basket and I can't see them. I still can't get the dang nut off! If I work on it anymore, I'm going to get the sledge hammer out.
Anyways, I don't really need any advice unless you have any ideas how to get the clutch nut off. I just had to vent about this. I might be able to use my pressure plate. I'm going to take it to the bike shop and see what they think. Anyways, I WAS planning on buying a steering dampner. I guess not now since I'll be buying an entirely new clutch. I wasn't planning on going to Gruber anyways. Matt

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Use an impact gun to remove the nut. I use a penny wedged between the primary gear and the clutch gear to keep it from spinning. Since the penny is soft, it deforms and doesn't hurt the gears on the bike.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Well, you're gonna have one sweet clutch when it's all said and done.

If you don't have access to a 1/2" drive impact, take a 12-pack to the nearest auto shop and ask one of the mechanics to take it off.

Hope that helps, YZ165

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
YZ165 said:
If you don't have access to a 1/2" drive impact, take a 12-pack to the nearest auto shop and ask one of the mechanics to take it off.

, YZ165

F it!!! I'll do it for a 6 pack! i'm on the East coast!!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
How long do you think you will keep this bike? Do you ride it really hard enough that an OEM won't outlast you? Hinson's are great and I admit that I put them in once Spider destroys the OEM but he is truely hard on clutches and as much as he races we save money going the hinson route

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
I am very hard on my clutch. My basket has huge notches in it. The thing looks like a bunch of crocodile teeth. I do a lot of harescramble racing. I'm on the clutch all the time. Even the inner hub has the beginning of some notches on it. Matt

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
We usually go billet aftermarket for the outer basket and oem for the rest. The oem inner will be substantially cheaper than Hinson and the bulk of wear issues for us anyway always seem to be on the outer basket. Hopefully the missing pieces of clutch plate don't cause you an issue. My son broke two plates last season and both times a piece wedged in the tranny and locked it up, had to split the cases. The second time was our first day at Dirtweek, Marshalls Racing in Stillwater fixed us up and treated us real good.

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
Oldgoat,

Stormin Norman Racing does the inserts on the clutch basket. He used to stock billet baskets also, but is now only trying to clear out his leftover inventory.

Chief, give 'em a call. They're super nice folks and can probably help you out. (724) 722-3630

When I did my first bottom-end rebuild I broke the shift drum and my inner hub. :bang: I feel your pain! I didn't have the right tools and it cost me.

Check out this link, Clutch Tool. I love this tool! It fits right into the splines on the basket. Use the impact wench, but on very low pressure. The tool also has 2 little studs on the opposite side that will hold sprockets, gears, flywheels, whatever. For $30, it was well worth it.

Good luck!

Tony

rikhek

Nov 3, 2004
That auction site has a new Hinson inner kit for $170 and a basket for $120. They also have an EBC clutch kit for $70. Do a search on "KX250 clutch". The same guy is selling both the Hinson parts. I wouldn't be surprised if the would be willing to sell early and end the auction for about his asking price. Email him.

Rick

Top Bottom