joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
My sons and I were racing MX yesterday.
There were a few riders with a neck supports on. I tried to get close to see what name or talk to then, but I failed :whiner:
Has anyone seem these??
Good idea or no???
I'm always looking at ways to prevent injury to myself or my boys and thought hmmmm.....
Joe
2001 KDX 200
2-2001 TTR 125 Boy "A"s' and "B"'s

I have to fall down............ Someone has to make sure gravity hasn't called in sick ;)

ROBBYRAZ

Nov 17, 2001
Yes. evs does make neck supports. I hav one but it takes awhile to get used to it
its kinda weird when you try and turn your head i felt alittle resticted at first but after
a while i got used to it .

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
What you saw was probably a neck brace from EVS, like someone already mentioned, or from PCS - Pro Cycle Safety.

EVS is quite a bit thicker; PCS comes in 2 thicknesses. My 9 year-old son and I use the device from PCS, and highly recommend it. Don't really notice it unless you're twisting your head around and down.

Check out a review here: http://www.mxintheus.com/articles/amys_articles/neck.html

Company web site here: http://procyclesafety.com/pcs_intro.html

Or search the Product Review forum for more feedback on both EVS and PCS devices.

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
I got one shortly after posting this.
It restricts some movement, was weird at first, last summer I noticed it was hot, but last fall I was hit from the back at a hare scramble, we were really ripping down a fast section, maybe close to 40 mph, went over the bars, landed head first, I know this cuz I watched the world turn upside down, landed on my head, I cracked 3 vert in my back, that's bad, but I'm sure it I wasn't wearing my neck brace I'd be typing this with my tongue!!!
My advice you can never wear enough protection out there!!
Joe :)

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Thanks for pointing this out. I read the comparison article and it seemed better that the PCS attached to the CP instead of spinning loose like the EVS. I ordered a PCS 1.5" today to try it.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
An anecdote.

My riding buddy wore one (don't know which brand. It does not connect to the chest protector) for the first time a couple of weeks ago. He crashed. Slid downhill, hit a tree....straight-on with his head.

Said he could feel the impact of his helmet being taken by the pad against his shoulders.

Beats using your spine as a shock absorber.

Thanks for the links! I've got some shopping to do.

Gates

Jan 18, 2001
I wear the EVS it is OK and I think it has prevented a collar bone break for me. I always wear it now. I mostly HS and I find I can not look up the next hill and stay in proper riding position. It can turn while riding too. I may check out one of those that attach to the CP.

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
I've had the same problem. I was considering attaching a piece of velcro to the CP and one to the brace, but I was afraid that if it's attached to the CP when that moves in a crash the brace will oblong or something and I'll loose the protection. 9 out of 10 times it stays put.
I adjusted my riding style to just straighten up and look up hills or arch my back.
Mine saved me so I'll stick with it.
Joe

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I haven't tried one yet but I was thinking about it. Can never be too careful.

EVS makes one that goes around your neck like a doughnut.

Six Six One and PCS make ones that attach to the CP.

I was thinking of going that route, makes good sense to me.

:thumb:

gn83tm

Dec 30, 2002
I'm just getting back into the dirt bike scene after a 10 yrs of racing stock cars. Neck braces are very common in all types of auto racing and are required by many sanctioning bodies.

I've always worn one while racing cars but don't know if I'd want to try one on a 2 wheeler. I suppose it may stop a spine compression type of injury but some theories suggest that in a whipping type situation it may actually make things worse since the helmet can pivot on the brace and stretch the neck. This type of injury pulls the base of the skull away from the neck and is getting all too common in auto racing. If I'm not mistaken, this is what happened to Dale Earnhardt at Daytona last year. In car racing, the current trend is to tie the head to the rest of the body (HANS or Hutchens device) to keep it from separating from the neck. I doubt that the g-forces involved in most dirt bike crashes would be of the magnitude that would cause this to happen.

I would think the loss of mobility on a dirt bike would be a problem but It may be worth it at some point. Safety is an ever evolving issue, which is a good thing.

To check out the stock car style braces go to www.speedwaymotors.com and do a search for neck brace. They offer the Simpson brace for about $35 and their own brand for about $25.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Not implying that the PCS is a 100% guarantee against a broken collarbone, but, when I broke mine last June...

Medical Copays: $1,000
Burning 3 weeks of vacation time laid up: $x,xxx
Not being able to ride for 3 months: Depre$$ing
Cost of PCS Neck Brace: $42

Do the math...

Sometimes I think we spend too much on hop-up parts and fluff, and forget how much an injury can affect your life. Conditioning and proper preventative gear can go a long way to improving your riding experience!

Top Bottom