Need help Bike Died! Wont start now!

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
Ok I have this rm 125. It has always ran strong for me.

Never fouled a plug till this week. I was riding and the bike started to sputter and run like crap. Before when I gunned it and the front end would come up. Today when I would give it gas it would almost sputter. But would still run.

Fresh gas 32-1 ratio as always.
Fresh Plug.
Good Compression and started first kick.

I was riding and I fouled two plugs today.
Black liquid on the plug.
Swapped Plug started first kick and off I went.

Then I was riding and it just bogged down and died. Sounded like it does if I forget to turn on the gas and ride till the Carb is empty.

I put in a fresh plugged and kicked till I was out of breath. No luck bike will not start!

Now I did lay the bike over a couple of times earlier in the day but no more than usual.

Still seem to have good compression.
I did oil the filter this morning before I rode. But not any more oil than usual. And I changed the oil in the case last night.

Any ideas.

All help is much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Kingriz1

Stoked_KX

Sep 7, 2001
Had a similar problem with my KX. Check to make sure all your wires in your wiring harness are tight and none are loose. Spent 2 hours in the woods at muenster cuz my bike would not start, and the red wire from my wiring harness got pulled out.

This may not be it, but I would check it.

Hope you find the problem....

Stoked

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Check the wiring to make sure if something lame like the kill switch ground came loose and its knocking around. If not then I'd be thinking about the top end possibly. Whens the last time you did the top end? its a 125 so it should be kept up possibly the ring went out cause it shoulds like the engine is loading up could be getting blow by on a worn ring. Check the eletrical connections first if thats all okay, Don't forget to check the carb just to be safe maybe something lame like the float is sticking. If that all checks out then its time to look into the top end.

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
Yeah it may be the top end. I have not done it since I have had the bike.:(

Just a little worried I might not do it right so I was trying to avoid it. I just got a gasket kit and I guess it is time to open her up and see what happens. Any advice on a first timer doing a top end.

Sincerely,

Riz

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
No I really doubt its the main seal it would have to be really blown bad to cause hard starting like it is. Even then just replacing the plug would allow it to start. Don't worry its not hard to do a top end its actually quite easy really. Just make sure to replace all of the top end parts wiseco kits come with everything needed wrist pin/wrist pin bearing/circlips piston & ring (maybe the not the wrist pin). The trickest parts are installing the ring just have to be careful when installing it not to twist/bend the ring and make sure the circlips are in right. While you have the top end off check the cylinder wall to make sure it still has an addaquite cross hatch (looks like someone took sand paper to it in a circular motion up the cylinder wall) if there's glazing aka smooth area's you'll need to re-do the cross hatch so it gets proper oil seal for the ring. It's easy to do use a scotch brite pad? (not 100% positive on that) and when you go to put it back together lightly coat the cylinder with some motor oil or 2 cycle oil. Makes it easier to get the piston/ring back into the cylinder better for break in. Got any more questions ? :) I'm sure we can help.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I have a suggestion

Let's start with the simple stuff first.
Riz, you need fuel, air, spark & compression for your bike to run, lets take it step by step.
Clean your air filter if you have not done so since you started having problems.
Check to see if you have spark, to do this is easy.

Step 1
Remove the plug wire cap off the spark plug, connect it to a new plug (not installed). Hold the nut part of the plug with the wire attached to it against the pipe or cylinder. It can be almost anything metal attached to the bike. Kick it over (Be sure you're not touching the plug or any other metal part of the bike cause it will bite). What you're doing is grounding the plug to complete the electical circut and when you kick the starter you should see the new plug spark. If it does spark check the old plug in the same mannor to be sure it's not just fouled. (sometimes a plug will still spark even when it's fouled)
If you aren't getting spark then check that your kill switch isn't grounding out, it may be easier to follow the kill switch wire to it's connector and unplug it. If you unplug the kill switch and you still have no spark then the problem is electrical and you have a place to start looking.
If you are getting spark then go to step 2.

Step 2
The next thing I would check would be the fuel line. Disconnect it from the carb and turn on the gas, this will let you know that your gas line just doesn't have somthing blocking the fuel flow. If you have fuel flow and spark and it starts then I would probably dump the gas out and start by mixing up some fresh fuel, you may have just got some bad gas. If it still doesn't start it may be necessary to clean your carb but I would save that for after step 3.

Step 3
If you have spark, fuel and still have problems then I would check compression. Run down to the nearest auto parts store and buy a compression tester for 15 to 20 bucks and save yourself a lot of waisted time guessing if you need a new top end. You'll use it again & again. To do a compression test simply remove your spark plug and thread in the compression tester, hold the throttle wide open and kick the crap out of the kickstarter a few times. Look at the reading on the tester and if it reads below what your book says it should read, then replace the top end. My guess is it's probably going to read about 145 psi before it needs a top end.
If the compression is good and everything else tests okay, clean your carb.

After everthing else has failed then look at the less obvious.
Good luck, Jeff

Last edited:

02yz125

Sep 25, 2001
Hey Riz, I'm off Monday -Thursday and I live in Corinth. I'm an aircraft Mechanic and have been around bikes quite a bit. If ya want I can help you do the top end and help you fix the problem. Do you happen to have a service manual? Not saying that I need it but it help if we get into a jetting issue. Also have a pretty decent Suzuki dealer right down the road. No charge, just do it for pleasure man.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Hey King..
Once while riding my 250, it backfired then died, after checking for fuel, spark and compression, i looked in to the reeds.. Had a broken reed petal, reeds are located between the carb and the cylinder.. Hope it helps you out!!
Rick

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!

Thanks for all of your help guys I just pulled the top end apart. I have not done a top end since I bought the bike. So it probably wont hurt.

I will do what you said when I put it back together Jeff. Did you race today.

02yz125--Wow I am speechless at your offer.(hard to imagine if you have met me).

I really appreciate it. If I can't get this bike back together I will definitely take you up on your offer.

rickyd- I am going to check the reeds right now.

Sincerely,

Riz

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
I dont think that sounds wierd! I would gladly help someone out with something like this, even if I had to go out of my way.

Others would do the same for me... Right guys??

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Easy there deez. Surprised you didn't get nuked for that one.

Some of us like to help our biking bretheren out, because it is our hobby.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by andymstevens
It sounds like it's sucking tranny oil.
I agree since it degraded so quickly, but a fresh top end never hurts.

Originally posted by MXP1MP
No I really doubt its the main seal it would have to be really blown bad to cause hard starting like it is.
:debil: As opposed to blown good? :debil:

JK :)

Good Luck,
Scott

kbob

Nov 27, 2001
Watch the plastic clip when your rebuilding it a lot of people break them. Its on the arm for the powervalve. Make sure you clean the powervalves real good use a Brillo pad dont use sandpaper it will make scratches and the carbon will stick to them. Next clean carbon deposits on the head,exhaust port and piston if you aren't replacing it. Now when your putting powervalve back together there is a little set screw that goes in a L arm on top front of cylinder, that set screw must be in the hole on the rod that the L arm rides on if it isnt it wont run up to its full potential. Now make sure that the o'rings for the head are seated in there grooves if there not you will crush them and they will leak. After you get everything put back on the lower end there is a spring on the side that must be put in the grooves on the rod that the L arm rides on,theres an adjuster that has a groove it goes on the spring also turn it 1/2 a turn inthe direction on the plate tighten and your done.

02yz125

Sep 25, 2001
Hey Deez,
Yea Ive got this secret life. Ya see I'm married and have kids, but that is my cover up. I work for wierd favors, who needs money! I let them come to me!
Anyway, I have had his RM for quite some time now and have done nothing with it because, well its pretty bad. He needs so many parts to make it "sound" and that is not even going into the motor. Another thing is well he hasn't bought any parts for the bike, and I'm not helping out in that aspect. So basically he has had free storage in my garage for 3 months. The entire suspension in the rear is shot, bearings and all. I have never seen a rear tire move in so many directions as his. This bike has been pretty well abused, not by Riz, but by previous owner(s). No springs on pipe, both radiators crushed, power valve all horked up, wheel bearings smoked, right down to the cracked frame on the right side where the swingarm connects. I could go on for days!! Susucki wants an astonishing 800$ for a new frame! I told him he would never recoup the $ if he wanted to do it right! I have told him he needs to come and get the bike as I can do nothing for him. Its still here!!!!

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Still there!?! Sounds like the bike is ready for the "eternal riding ground"! I've seen so many clapped out bikes like that in my day. The owners are usually delusional and think they can salvage them and bring up the value. :eek:

Looks like you may need to make a special delivery over to Riz's place some night to make for more room in your garage. :)

02yz125

Sep 25, 2001
I'm nicer than that! I got my bike in garage on trailer that I'm trying to unload so I can get my car in! So its really not killing me yet! I guess I need to make the effort to get a hold of him and get his address huh!

SiCnTwIsTdYz

Apr 10, 2002
it can be your rings that need to be re-placed because og the plug fouling if it isnt the rings id say your air-filter needs to be cleaned along with the airbox or it is jetted to rich, maybe it could be the crank seals leaking gearbox oil into the combustion chamber and also fouling the plug, you can also make the air fuel mixture rich by putting too much airfilter oil on the airfilter when you oiled it

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
Originally posted by SiCnTwIsTdYz
it can be your rings that need to be re-placed because og the plug fouling if it isnt the rings id say your air-filter needs to be cleaned along with the airbox or it is jetted to rich, maybe it could be the crank seals leaking gearbox oil into the combustion chamber and also fouling the plug, you can also make the air fuel mixture rich by putting too much airfilter oil on the airfilter when you oiled it

in his first post he said that he didnt over-oil the filter, he just cleaned it, and it just up and died. i do agree that it could be bad rings.

im not bashing just making a point. rickyd has a point, and it also sounds like you need a topend done, or a new bike, from what 02yz125 said.

good luck, man

-Rob

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I don't know, but i'm still astonished with all of the suggestions to replace the topend without confirming that low compression is actually a problem.  Judging from what we heard about the bike, it would be a shame to spend a wad of cash on the top end, only to later discover a $250 cdi box is bad.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom