kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
It didnt take long for the stock DunlopD756 tires on my DRZ to wear out. I need advice for tire selection.
Riding Areas: Rasor- Mostly Sand, but nearby BLM trails are Rocky.
Jawbone- Rock - Sand
Spangler: Rocks-Sand
See my problem. Every riding spot has such differing terrain, it makes tire selection tough.
Lastly, my rides are always at least 100miles, but only twice a month Oct-Apr

Kaw_Boy_5

Apr 18, 2001
I can't believe you had trouble with 756 tire life in mostly sand riding. I get great life out of that tire and is my recommendation to anyone for a great tire. Sorry I couldn't help but I'd like to see what is suggested for longer life

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Kaw-boy,

Just last weekend I did a motorcycle camp near Ludlow. One leg of the trip was on a powerline road along I-15, it was all rocks. I only passed through Rasor OHV with its Sand terrain, but later was back along a hard-packed gas pipeline road that was hardpack. So the terrain is never all sand or all rocks.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Alot of D-37 desert racers are using 739 AT and are very happy, I'm still using 756 ( rear) and a 755 ( front ) next change I will try the 739s

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
I'm using the 755 front and 739 rear on my KTM, and like it very well. The 755 front actually makes the bike turn MUCH better in the dez. But good luck finding one as they have been discontinued. I've seen guys on this board swear up and down that Michelin tires wear the longest, but I haven't tried them.

Keep in mind that the DRZ is a tractor in disguise and will eat tires. I used to have one.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I've had the Michelin M-12 on the front for almost a year now, and after 8-10 grueling rides it still looks new. It works everywhere!
I'm running an IRC on the rear, and it's holding up surprisingly well considering that my bike normally shreds a tire in 6 months.

PhastPhart

Dec 15, 2000
I like the 739 AT. Its got really tough sidewalls and really protectects you from flats in the desert. It's a very difficult mount in your garage due to the sidewalls but I've never had a flat since I switched. I'm going to try that 756 on the front. I hear that's the replacement for the 755.

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by PhastPhart
It's a very difficult mount in your garage due to the sidewalls but I've never had a flat since I switched.

LOL. After getting bloody knuckles and brused fingers I gave up and took it down to the shop. I managed to do the front though. :confused:

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
For the front I have been using the Michelin Enduro Comp 3.
Basically the same tire as the M12, but on a 6 ply carcass.

On the rear the 739 A/T is a good choice, but I have switched to using a Michelin S12. Unfortunatly the 739's would be worn out after the short Best in the Desert races (150 mi). I used a S-12 at the Terrible's Town 250. The tire worked great all day long & no flats.

I would like to use the 739's at the Nevada 1000 for the flat protection, but I would need 8 rears to get through the whole event. With the S12's I should be able to do it with 4.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Thanks everybody for the advice. I went with 739AT rear and 739AF front. It was a tough choice between those and the Michelins.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom