sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
Hello, I am gathering up parts for my 96' yz 250 restoration project. I am looking for rad shrouds, they must be in the origonal factory colour (navy blue or royal blue). I am also looking for specs for the GYT-R long rod that is installed in my bike. Does anyone know the dementions of the rod, pin center to center, pin bore, and width. I want to replace the rod with one of the same dementions as the one thats in it now. Thanks !!!

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
wow. That's an interesting question. Parts for your 96 are far from obsolete. For plastics check UFO. For the rod kit go to bikebandit, servicehonda, cheapcycleparts, etc. and look up the parts schematic for your bike and order the correct rod kit.

Here, 5 seconds doing a search on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...241220QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Looks like you can use 90 - 98 bits, possibly for lots of different parts. For the shrouds though, dunno about the factory color for that year. I'd check bike bandit, might cost ya though.

... PS

Me and a buddy recently built up a 1992 yz250. It's a friggen sweet bike.

J.

Last edited:

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
I know there are after market plastic kits for my bike in white, black, or the currant shade of blue, but I am trying to keep the bike origional as posible. As far as the rod goes, yes I know i can still get the "stock" rod for it, but this bike has a GYT-R long rod kit installed. This was a Yamaha performance upgrade kit. The rod is longer than a stock rod, but I need to know how much longer so I can order a replacement rod from "hotrods". I can't wait to get my 96 yz done, this bike is wicked fast. I was still racing this bike when the 450f's were just coming out and my 250 smokes them, lol well used to smoke them !!!

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Yup, that's a fast engine for sure. I have no idea about the long rod. I'd try calling hot rods and see if they have any ideas for you. I know it that was a factory upgrade from yammie, but I do not think it will still be available anywhere. You may have to go back to the stock rod?

I found white plastics for a 91 kdx at bike bandit. Expensive as hell, but they have them. Give that a shot for OEM plastics. It'll cost you considerably more than aftermarket pieces though.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
the long rod "kit" is nothing more than an 1989 rod ,powervalve rod and powervalve rod cover and a spacer plate. The 1989 rod you should be able to get easily, but the last time I checked the powervalve rod and the spacer plate where discontinued

Top Bottom