RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
Well my bike was barfing gas out of the overflow a few days ago, so my first thought was the float. I disassembled, float was in spec, and has not become pourus (still floats). So then I looked at the needle valve, and it was stuck in the little hole it goes into(where the gas comes out), but I got it out with the float intact. I put it back on, and one of my questions is the valve supposed to sit on the tab(that adjusts your float height), or is it supposed to stay in the hole where your fuel comes out? So anyways I assembled it with the valve just sitting on the tab, and then when I turned the fuel on and pulled the float up, the fuel cut off like it should. The fuel did not cut it off when it was stuck in the hole. When I got it completley assembled, gas would not come out of the overflow, but when I started the bike, it wizzed all on the ground. Could the valve seat be dirty? Or can the valve go bad? Thanks

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The valve hangs on the tab on the float usually. Possibly the seat is damaged or dried out. Possible the float is not correctly set as well. It's something simple.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
Patman said:
The valve hangs on the tab on the float usually. Possibly the seat is damaged or dried out. Possible the float is not correctly set as well. It's something simple.

what is the seat made of? Is It an o ring? One thing I noticed is when I pulled it apart the 1st time, the valve was stuck in the hole, so it is most likely a seating problem. Thanks.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Look at the tip of the valve, see it's black right? Well that right there is your problem most likely ESPECIALLY if it was stuck.

JGrossijr

Dec 29, 2004
Most needle tips are viton. Viton in black & feels like a hard rubber. The seat is usually made of brass. If the tip shows any wear, at all, change the needle & seat as a pair. Make sure to set the float level.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
i will advise you to give a very good clean to the carb and also to the fuel tank. and petcock.
is likely that the way dirt enter the carb for the first time and stuck the needle cause the same problem as soon as the gas start running to carb.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The valve & seat are usually sold as a kit. In my book if it was stuck it is damaged, maybe you don't know exactly what to look for, maybe it's a small imperfection you didn't notice, maybe it's dried out. Any way you look at it, it's an inexpensive little bag of parts so just replace them and rest easy that you know that isn't the issue.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
Patman said:
The valve & seat are usually sold as a kit. In my book if it was stuck it is damaged, maybe you don't know exactly what to look for, maybe it's a small imperfection you didn't notice, maybe it's dried out. Any way you look at it, it's an inexpensive little bag of parts so just replace them and rest easy that you know that isn't the issue.

I am about to go out there and tear it back down and check it out. Gotta let the grass dry first :) . I checked out motosport's oem page and they have a needle valve for $28.95 :yikes: . Oh well, I guess it's time to start saving again.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Try Service Honda / Powersports.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
Patman said:
Try Service Honda / Powersports.

They have it for $27 there. Anyways, this morning I looked at it again, but I looked up in the hole and I saw no dirt. Just to be safe I took some carb spray and cleaned it out. Now there is 1 question that is bugging me, when I looked into the hole, It looked like there was supposed to be like a seal that goes around the fuel outlet hole...... nothing was there. Is there something that is supposed to be there? I was thinking that might be part of the seat. When I got it assembled, nothing leaked until 25 minutes into the ride, so this leads me to think that it is the needle valve.

Top Bottom