mx_scottj

Nov 12, 2001
I'm getting ready to purchase a new bike. I need some feedback on good things and bad things about 2002 450 and 426. I have not made up my mind on which to buy yet. Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

motoman542

Uhhh...
Mar 17, 2002
you should buy a cr450f they are so much better than the 426.
for example the 426 hits hard in mid range making it hard to clear things but the cr450f has a smoother powerband.
Another example if you go to sell the cr450f it will get more money than the yz becuase they last longer

Seth_88

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2000
You can go to www.thumpertalk.com and find many threads that compare the two bikes -though the CR450 forums have many over-sensitive owners that are just waiting to flame any negative remark posted about their "perfect" bikes.:)

Last edited:

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
You can start by posting in the right forum, and then go ahead and get the 450, it blows the 426 out of the water. Moved to which bike to get.

Mx, if you would rather have this thread in the Thumper central forum, let me know and I'll move it there, one or the other but not both, thanks.

Billy

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
Rode a buddy's CRF450 this weekend, nice bike, almost as good as my pumpkin, the YZ426F's that I have rode aren't nearly as good. If you insist on buying a CRF or a YZF and won't consider a KTM buy the CRF. :p

skthom2320

Oct 11, 2001
So far I haven't seen a good reason to own a CRF except "you should get the CRF it's way better."

I own a YZ426 and considered a CRF. Here is why I didn't get one. Reliability is not yet established. Replacement parts are still a little hard to come by. Tuners are just now getting their setups down. These are really just first year bike issues though. The Honda by all accounts is a very, very good bike and improves on some of yamaha's downfalls - lighter, auto-decompression (I won't say easier to start, mine always starts in less than 3 kicks, 1 when warm), separate clutch/engine oils.

Since it was the first bike for me in 25 years, I wanted something that was well established. After riding for the last 6 months I can see why weight is an issue. But you can get great deals on YZF's, be very competitive if you race, and have a huge grin every weekend if you don't. And the hit from that motor is a blast! Not only that but most will say that the YZ turn sharper as well.

If you go to thumpertalk.com you will find reports from people that have owned both.

MxKid512

Feb 10, 2001
Not trying to start a flame at all, let me establish that, its just that sometimes the reliability of the YZF's is questioned in my mind. I know that for the most part the bike has been reliable to its owners but it scares me to see a bike that has been around for 5 years still have problems like exploded clutches, cracked tanks, broken hubs, and it seems like a lot of people are shearing teeth off the tranny. I know this is only a small number of bikes in comparison to the thousands of bikes yamaha sells, but it kinda makes ya wonder. :think I guess we'll have to see what kinds of issues come up with the CRF. Im sure it wont be a perfect bike either. They both are pretty close though!

skthom2320

Oct 11, 2001
No flame taken! I did all the research before I bought my YZF. My conclusion was that it was no less reliable than any other *race* bike and in many ways more so. You have to take into account that a lot of posts come from people who have problems that need to be solved. It's unusual to post "hey my bike is running great and has been for the last year!"

I haven't paid close attention, but I have seen a couple of cracked case reports on the CRF on TT. It wouldn't stop me from buying one though.

My biggest concern was AVAILABILITY of parts and expertise/experience and just wanted to relay that opinion. I expect dirt bikes to break (well-not like Kawasaki's though). I just don't want to be the first person to experience a particular problem. That's the main reason I wanted to wait on the CRF and bought a YZF instead. I am very pleased with my choice.

It's funny - people get religion about their brand/model of bike. The way I see it, it is just a toy. If you like it great. If you don't, get a different one. :)

Regards and Happy Hunting!

MxKid512

Feb 10, 2001
skthom,
I see exactly where you are coming from and I agree that it would be hard to get the parts at first. I think the YZF's are great bikes and if Honda doesn't get off there a** and get a 250 four stroke out there, I will be blue in 2003.

thickone

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2002
i work for a honda dealer and my friends ride crf's. i ride a yzf and and completely happy. i see too many crf's with cracked frames and seized motors for a new bike

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
You work for a Honda dealer? yeah right. If you don't put the oil in BOTH places then you could seize the engine. I think it would be pretty tough to break a CRF frame, unless you jump HUGE jumps. Plus, I thought you ride a ATC110?

thickone

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2002
ya if you believe that i've got some land to sell you in florida. i'm just telling you what i have seen n the service department. three crf frames have been warrantied by honda (there good about stuff like that).

sharp7277

Mar 12, 2002
Ok ill end this real quick!

First of all the YZF 426 and the CRF 450 are 2 great bikes(unbeleivable). Ive ridden both and heres the breakdown from a experienced CR 500 and CRF 450 rider. The 426 and 450 are pretty close in everything. the only difference I noticed (and I ripped around the MX track on both) was that the CRF seemed to have a little bit more HP in all areas ( A little bit!). Yamaha is a great company, and they do have a little more experience in the 4 stroke MX world so thats a big plus! But heres the bottom line and listen up! Firstly its all in the rider and how you ride the bike, second of all If your a RACER (like Tim Ferry)then you would have your bike modified in all the areas that you feel are weak anyway ,so whats the difference? Am I right or what! The only thing I really noticed is that my 91' CR 500 would lap my CRF 450. WHY DID HONDA STOP MAKING IT!

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
I went from a 426 back to a 2-stroke CR and my brither in law (and riding buddy) went to a CRF, the YZ is great , fast, powerful, and the handling is good, what I found on my cr is that I dont get near as tired, both from the weight and the smoother power. My bro in law says the same except that he is also overjumping stuff because the moter sneaks up on him, its faster but doesn't rip your arms out like the 426. PS I really like the suspension better on the Honda, and I never owned a red one before! I t might boil down to which dealer gives you a better deal or treats you better, they are both good machines. As far as reliability, no complaints on the YZ and so far the CR is great except for that airbox snafu.

SoderholmD

Feb 7, 2002
Hey Beef706. Did you say that the cr has smoother power than the 426? Is that a real possibility. Do the 426's really hit THAT HARD? Why did the 426 wear you out sooner?

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
SoderholmD, to me the 426 did hit that much harder. Yes it did hook up well but when you really yank the throttle on it, it felt to me as though my arms were being pulled out of the socket. Some people like that but being old and slow it really required that I concentrate and I pumped up quicker on the thumper. :scream: My 2-smoke feels just as fast but I don't get that pull. The weight difference is ,I'm sure, most of the fatigue difference, and the suspension allows me to relax a little more. I don't think my bike is slower, I still get good starts on it, but I don't feel I have to fight as hard to stay with the bike. On my Bro-in-laws CRF, I keep thinking that it's slow, because you don't get that rush and then I overjump something, so the speed must be good.

SoderholmD

Feb 7, 2002
Do you do any woods work or is it mostly motorcross? I'm looking at either a late model cr or yz 426. If you do any woods could you compare the two. Have you done anything to smooth the cr out or is it that way from the factory? Thanks!

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Not much woods here, but I do ride some along with some technical desert stuff. Mostly MX though, I have been in the desert more since I broke my hand. Two of the tracks here are pretty tight, and I Felt that I had an advantage on the CR cause it felt smoother to me and I could throw it around.

MX250racer

Dec 13, 2001
Are you in a hurry to buy a 2002! Reason being why not wait untill the 03's come out and get the yz450 it is going to be 17 pounds lighter than the 426 and have electric strart. Not to say; about all the other features that are going to be on that bike.

Top Bottom