Dantheman94

Jul 10, 2013
Hello all, im going to make this short and sweet. im brand new to dirtbikes. just got a 1981 yamaha enduro 175. It starts up fine, and takes off fine. i rode it about 3 miles when it made a grinding sound and stalled out. i let it sit for about 5 minutes, and started it back up, rode about a mile and it stalled. I kept starting it, and could rfide maybe 1/4 mile each time after that before it stalled out again, until i got home.

Any help?
Thanks, Dan

Last edited:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
That sounds like a fuel delivery problem. If it has a fuel filter, try taking that out. The next thing I would check would be float and float valve are clean and nothing is interfering with them moving. If it sat for a while the whole carb could be gummed up from the wonderful ethanol we now get to use.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I agree with Gomer about fuel and removing any filter in the fuel line. They clog up over time.

Another possibility is the gas cap is not venting properly.

If this is a DT model with a metal tank, you may have a bunch of rust in there and in the carb. On most bikes (even ones with plastic tanks), there is a screen inside the tank, on the tube that extends up from the petc*ock. It may need to be cleaned or replaced.

To check the fuel flow, disconnect the fuel line at the carb and get a jar. Put the fuel line in the jar and turn the gas on. Make sure you have a nice steady flow of fuel through the line. If you do, the problem may be in the carb.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
You mention a grinding sound, when was the piston changed? While the fuel starvation symtoms are easy to determine the sound you discribed sounds a bit more concerning.

Top Bottom