New Rider '02 CR250R. Tips getting started?

rossim22

Jul 19, 2008
For the past week, I've been on my bike as much as I can. I've been starting slow, getting used to when the clutch engages/disengages. This CR250R is my first actual bike, go big or go home. I won't do anything stupid, so I trust myself into getting a powerful bike.

Recently, I've been goin around my neighborhood and putting my self in awkward situations with the bike, kinda like when i was learning how to drive manual with my car a couple yrs ago. Does anyone have any other tips or routines that they did first starting out?

Thanks
Ross

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
If by "goin around the neighborhood" means riding on the street or near people's homes then I highly recommend that you stop doing that. A two stroke bike can be very annoying to people, especially those who don't share your passion for dirt bikes.

I would have also expected that after a week you would have gotten the hang of the clutch and pretty much anything you can do riding around the house. Time to take the bike to an off road area where it is legal and you can ride the bike the way it was intended.

I highly recommend that you find a riding partner to go with. It is always best that there be someone who knows you are out there and won't go home until you are back safe. If you knock yourself silly and all your indentification is back at the truck you can be in a world of hurt.

Otherwise, just ride. I recommend that you focus on slower, more difficult/technical terrain instead of going fast on the smooth stuff. That bike has the capability of getting you going way too fast and in way over your head when the smooth road drops into a wash.

Rod

rossim22

Jul 19, 2008
just went riding for a few hours today, off roading. me and my riding partner, who has a yz250, went mudding a little, about a foot under water. and i didnt even drop the bike lol.

the reason the technical stuff gets a little difficult for me is that i'm only 5'6", so i cant touch the ground with both feet. but i went over a few obstacles i couldnt last time, and the ride seemed much easier and less worrisome.

best of all, we found a small tabletop, perfect for teaching me to jump. hit it at about 3/4 throttle, 2nd gear, not high enough or fast enough to do any damage. luckily, i didnt have to worry about that this time.

Top Bottom