mxrider37303

Apr 11, 2010
got a question guys.i got an 01 kdx 220r its got a platinum pipe and a pro circuit spark arrester silencer and whats the top speed in mph i weight about 230.and what can i do to make my bike keep up with my friends 02 yahmaha 426wr? lol

THANKS

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
KDX's are not about top speed. I know I have mine up to 60mph and that is really pushing it IMO.

Are you riding wide open desert or dunes? Those are about the only places where the WR426 should have an advantage offroad over a KDX. In tight, gnarly, twisting single track the KDX should be able to eat the WR426's lunch.

jonooffler

Jun 10, 2009
Welcome to the world of KDX sorry to say but your will find it very hard to keep up with the WR on the flat my 220 will if pushed do 70 on the speedo on the road.The KDX is at it's best on the rough and the woods .You need to be a very good rider to get any real speed off road . Just sit back and enjoy the ride you will find that the KDX will do fine .

mxrider37303

Apr 11, 2010
Thanks To All for the help. I Love This Bike It Runs Good. I Got A 12t Sprocket In Front And A 49 In The Rear With A 11o/100/18 Tire I Kinda Feel Like Im In Between Gears.thought About Going Up In The Front But Dont Know..

oo yea i ride in the woods mainly

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
13/47 or 13/48 is stock I think. With a few mods it pulls the stock gearing very well, and that will give you a little more top speed. Make sure the powervalves are all in tact and working! If the piston is the stock cast or a replacement pro-x you need to swap it for a wiseco asap. That bit is important!

Ditch the airbox lid
FMF Desert pipe, stock silencer
607 reeds (v-force if you want to spend the extra money)
carb and head sent off to RB for mods
13/47 gearing
Jetting
jetting
jetting

That's probably your best shot at keeping up with that WR, unless you want to do a big bore. If you ride in the woods, the 220 won't have much problem pulling ahead in the tight stuff as it sits now, so long as the rider is up to the task as well!

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Hey mxrider37303,
I have a 'gear ratio chart' that you can download as an excel spreadsheet --> Click here <--
You can change sprocket sizes and revs etc and it will give you the speeds.
Your bike is geared pretty slow. At 60mph your bike is doing approx 7886rpm and with stock gearing 13/47 it would be doing approx 6982rpm. Download the spreadsheet and have a play.

In regard to keeping up with a 426, in the woods your friend may just end up asking how to keep up with a KDX220 ;)

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Good news, bad news.
Bad news, a KDX220 will not have the top end of a big bore four stroke. Ever.
Good news, ......hmmmm, can't think of any.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Good news,

It's a KDX. Probably the single greatest purpose built trail bike ever. The WR won't touch you in the woods.

Don't pay attention to Mud, his new nickname is Mr. Negativity.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Yes, he's right on the top speed. Unless you install one of those flux capacitor thingies.. And I'm just poking fun at him with the Mr. Negativity comment. I kinda like it though!

I pulled 75mph on my 200 hanging behind an 09 yz450 up in WV last summer. Can't really say I'd want to do it again...

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
D-doubledash said:
you'll never keep up
Depends on the situation. Get in the tight stuff and the KDX will leave a larger bike in it's roost. Wide open desert and the KDX will fall behind.

Making blanket statements like you did either shows your ignorance or the fact that you are trolling. Which is it?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I vote ignorant troll. But that's just most likely just me and my bad attitude. FWIW I have no trouble leaving a good rider on a yz450f behind on single track or tight trails.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
julien_d said:
I vote ignorant troll. But that's just most likely just me and my bad attitude. FWIW I have no trouble leaving a good rider on a yz450f behind on single track or tight trails.

I think a better discription of mudpack is cynical, we all are at times.

as for JD trolling...I don't think so his anchor has been set here for quite some time ss109.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
mxrider37303 said:
well i order a 14 and a 15 sprocket for the front gonna try the 14 out and see how i like it

don't go that far dude!

I thought a 14/48 would be ok and it was not, so I put a 13 along with the 48 rear untill the rear needs replaced again then I will return to the 13/50 combo that is what worked the best IMO

some how the gear spacing gets messed up when you gear it high and you never seem to be in the right gear

CAVet

Feb 9, 2010
mxrider37303 said:
got a question guys.i got an 01 kdx 220r its got a platinum pipe and a pro circuit spark arrester silencer and whats the top speed in mph i weight about 230.and what can i do to make my bike keep up with my friends 02 yahmaha 426wr? lol

Take him and his Yami into the tight technical stuff. If you can't keep up, it ain't the bike.

Top Bottom