SilverBurr

Jun 17, 2006
I've recently jumped back into the sport of off road bikes after a 20 year hiatus. My younger years, from a childhood until college, I rode religiously, raced motocross, very heavily into bikes. But life has a way of swaying a young man, college, girls, starting a career, my love of bikes and financial ability was the end of my sport. Fast-forward 20 years, my financial situation is good, tired of sitting in front of the computer and getting fat, I buy a YZ450F. Now mind you, my only experience with motocross bikes was back in the 70's & 80's Two stroke was king.

I now have this new fangled 4-stroke that runs like the wind, I am amazed at the technology changes. Like I said before, I am the owner of a 2003, yz450f, so I have a few questions.

* What maintenceance should I be doing.

* What is all this talk about warm starts and that dang lever by the clutch handle.

* The bike seems to start with no throttle turn, kinda of strange. I was used to starting and pumping the trottle.

* Been feeding it regular unleaded gas. Is that OK?

* Do these new bikes have bugs that will easily break down and require a big repair bill. What I mean is the technology so new, that the manufactures have not resolved all the bugs.

The more I read on this forum, the more questions I have. And one last thing, this body of mine was way out of shape, my wrist and ankles are taking a beating, we take for granted how sturdy our bodies were at a young age. Just hope the pain goes away soon, this is one fun bike to ride.

Andy

Last edited:

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
*Search
*The hot start leans out the AF ratio to make hot starting easier.
*DO NOT PUMP THE THROTTLE! modern 4T's have pumper carbs and every twist squirts in more fuel. You'll flood the bike out if you don't get it started in the first couple kicks if you twist it when you kick.
*You're safe. The yzf has a very efficient combustion chamber and is tolerant of low octane fuels.
*Not with the yzf. Just don't get complacent and not keep up with the maint. or you'll be looking at a quite healthy repair bill.

Read these two, then search for any more questions you have. There is tons of info here waiting to be read.

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=115200
http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=115201

SilverBurr

Jun 17, 2006
Those two articles scare me, I want a bike that will run for years with no maintenance. :bang:

Should I have gone with a two-stroke?

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
SilverBurr said:
Those two articles scare me, I want a bike that will run for years with no maintenance. :bang:

Should I have gone with a two-stroke?

4-stroke trail bike will run for years with little maintenance - not a racing trail bike either...

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
KDX CRAZY said:
If you didnt want much maintenance and cheap to repair then yes , a 2 stroke would have been better for yourself .

Better, perhaps, but I don't know of any two stroke that will go for years with no maintenance.

Then again, neither will my car.

SilverBurr

Jun 17, 2006
robwbright said:
Better, perhaps, but I don't know of any two stroke that will go for years with no maintenance.

Then again, neither will my car.

By maintenance, I mean checking internal engine components for wear and spacing. I have no idea how to go inside the engine.

Will be looking for some body in the Dallas area to help maintain my investment.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
SilverBurr said:
Will be looking for some body in the Dallas area to help maintain my investment.

Motocross bikes are not investments - far from it.

Some very simple maintenence (oil changes, cleaning the airfilter, lubing the suspension and drive chain, and checking the valves) will go along way in protecting your engine and ensuring that you have hours of enjoyment of your bike.

It's not hard to do, but it is important.

SilverBurr

Jun 17, 2006
CaptainObvious said:
Motocross bikes are not investments - far from it.

Some very simple maintenence (oil changes, cleaning the airfilter, lubing the suspension and drive chain, and checking the valves) will go along way in protecting your engine and ensuring that you have hours of enjoyment of your bike.

It's not hard to do, but it is important.

Thats no problem, I have a basic tools and can change fluids and lube points. But from reading the article, it says something about checking valves, springs, spacing. Kinda of scared me. :(

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
With basic tools, plus a torque wrench, clutch holder, flywheel puller, calipers, and feeler gauges you can completely tear down a modern 4T motor. You just have to be carefull and follow the manual to the "T" if it's your first time.

Jun 27, 2006
I want one myself and do plan to get one + keep my 2 banger because they are a challenge and keep your endurance up + keep your wrists strong from holding on for dear life lol. 4t's are reliable and ridding them with the since that they are 4t's and not 2 strokes will prolong their performance and less costly repair bills. Unlike a 2 stroke 4t's work with torque and and rpm's but over revving them past a point will stretch the valves causing untimely valve adjustments and repairs. I'm still undecided on which to get though, 450f or a 250f, I have a 250cc 2 stroke and could keep it and then get a 250f to ride the 125cc class. I'm new to motocross but not riding so a 4t would probably be sweet for me just starting in motocross. Am I a bike mechanic? No, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom