Newbie chain question 420, 428, 520?

speedracer238

Feb 12, 2004
I tried searching and couldnt really find what I'm looking for.

I'm going to be switching to a 13/50 combo so I'm going to be purchasing a 110 tooth chain. I dont know what to get though, 420, 428, 520, etc? It seems like most people are going with 520 but I'd just like to know what i'd actually be buying. Thanks in advance.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
It is the size of the chain (as in link size). A 428 is for a 125 and lower usually, and the 520 is for larger motorcycles. Strength is another can of worms. But most sites have the tensil strength on their chain charts.

Last edited:

speedracer238

Feb 12, 2004
Damn Rethnal you're fast at posting :worship: Can't thank you enough, all my questions are answered. Can't wait til i get the chain and sprocket and tear some trails up. :yeehaw:

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
Now that you know what size you need, do yourself a favour and make sure you get an O ring chain. They cost a bit more but non O ring chains just don't last.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
My standard chains last just fine.

I think you'll find that most all full-frame bikes take a 520 chain.
There were a few 125's that used 428 chains....IN THE 70's!

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Yep Jaybird.... Your on it! :thumb: I was trying to think of the last bike I had that had that dinky of a chain.... it was a 75 DT125.

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: strength.

The higher the advertised tensile strength the better the chain.

Yeah....right.

That's a joke, son.

Buy a good chain, put it on some good sprockets, take care of it and it will serve you well.

I don't think a 50T rear will fit with the oem guide, btw.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Seems logical (coming from a technical background) that a higher tensile strength chain would resist stretching better. I have never put this to the test though.... I'm with CC... buy a GOOD chain and go with it.

BTW.. I never said anything referencing tensile strength and being a good chain. I said it was another can of worms and leave that decision to the individual buying the chain to sort out.

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I'm not saying there isn't anything to tensile strength measurements and to a 'good' tensile strength number but to tensile strength claims.

A chain that advertises a tensile strength of 10,000 whatever-the-increment is isn't necessarily superior to one that is 'only' 7,000 whatevers.

Proper care is more important than some huge tensile number. Get a junk chain and it won't matter what you do in the way of care/maintenance....it won't last. Get the best chain you can buy, clean it with chemical degreasers and a wire brush, lubricate it with spit...it won't last either.

Something harder doesn't necessarily wear better than something softer. You can waste a main bearing (V-8 type) with your fingernail.

No, I don't use a babbit chain.......;)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I don't think that posting information is a smart mouthed act, Rethnal. I'm sure it seems that way to you, but post good info and you won't have to worry about someone dising it.

CC is spot on, the tensile ratings are nothing more than a marketing ploy, to an extent.
More times than not, if a chain is rated with a higher tensile strength, it will be made of better materials. That being said, there is no dirt bike made that can pull the links of even a bottom shelf Malaysian chain apart. So, as long as the tensile rating is sufficient, it's sufficient.
Cleaning, lubricating, and above all else...proper adjustment are the keys to a chain lasting...and as a result, your sprockets lasting.

BTW...also coming from a "technical background" I HAVE put this to the test, Rethnal.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Did I give bad info? I think not. Maybe my reference on other chain sizing was not to your liking but the info was good and the man got what he wanted!

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I know that FRP has 'em. Don't know about the 'good' part of that. As I recall I didn't get one from FRP 'cuz of the color.

GOTTA have the right color, yanno. ;)

I found a guide on the web that I'm happy with....the guy makes them himself, spare blocks available.

If you're interested/curious...pm or email me and I'll send you his email address, you can ask him about it.

speedracer238

Feb 12, 2004
I'll probably just grab that FRP chain guide. Anybody use Sunstar sprokets or chains? FRP carries there stuff and its pretty good priced...$40 for the 50T sprocket.

speedracer238

Feb 12, 2004
i started this post so quit fighting or i'll send you 2 to your room :joke:

I can't thank you guys enough for the answers....I'd post and 15 minutes later I'd have an answer. I think I'm done with questions, we've cover sprockets, chain, chain guide and i read up on old posts about lubes. Once again thank you guys, you guys rock! :aj:

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Believe it or not I have had the best results with a Renthal chain. Yeah I know they are overpriced but they simply just don't stretch. I've had other brands that were supposed to be great chains but stretched like crazy.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom