Newbie questions-off road racing

BIF

Aug 14, 2002
I am pretty new to the dirt bike scene although I have had streebikes and quads. I am really loving the dirtbike, I bought a KTM 525 exc, because it is green stickered for CA. Anyway, I would really like to get into some type of off-road racing. My first question is what are the specifics of the different types of racing (enduro, hare scrambles, etc.) And then, what is the best way to actually get started?

I'm a 31 year old rookie, so I'm probably not going to be the next Rodney Smith or anything, just want to get into some amateur stuff. (Rodney's wife cuts my hair.) Anyway, thanks for your help.

Dave Wood

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2000
Information on upcoming events in Northern California and Northern Nevada can be found at AMA/D36 You can download the rulebook as well.

I would suggest that you enter the Sawmill Enduro on April 12 at Upper Lake. They have a new trail ride class, no Timekeeping, just follow the arrows for a marked trail ride. Try to pace yourself to finish the ride. This will give you an idea of your stamina and give you the opportunity to ride a "marked" course. Once you have finished an Enduro, then consider trying to keep time. I would encourage you not to purchase an enduro computer at first. You will need an odometer and a watch/clock you can read and a route holder, (available at sign-up). I and many other riders will be happy to explain Timekeeping, it is not as complicated as many try to make it.

The Outlaw Hare Scrambles has been postponed to April 27. This event will be held at Cow Mountain. D36 has a wide variety of Hare Scrambles. Some with long loops, 30 plus miles, some with short loops, under ten miles. The majority of Cross Country races are 2 hours for the "A" and "B" riders and 1 1/2 hours for the "C" riders. The terrain varys greatly, from rocky, to woods, to desert. One really has to ride the whole series, to try to compare Prairie City, to Moon Rocks or Wilseyville is impossible. I would suggest that you ride to finish your first couple of events.

Off Road racing is a lot of fun and challenging. Being in good shape helps a lot. A good hydration system is advisable. If your interested in Off Road riding instruction, contact me, I conduct several classes each year.

Dave Wood

BIF

Aug 14, 2002
Thanks for your reply Dave, I may be interested in taking some instruction. Is that instruction applicable to kids? My brother has a 9 year old and an 11 year old that he wants to go to some classes to learn better riding techniques. Also, I take it the main difference between enduro and hare scrambles is that the enduro races are much longer? Let me know how to contact you for instruction.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Here is a link to an earlier thread about the classes and Dave Wood's contact information. His older thread also has a link to District 36.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74956

Dave's classes are great! IMO a 'beginners' class is an excellent idea for new riders. It is much easier to avoid bad habits now than to try to undo them later. In the class, you will learn some good practice drills, and have a lot of fun.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
Yeah, enduros are longer races but usually are more spread out and there are breaks(resets) if you ride close to your minute. I am usually totally used up after a hare scramble (2-3 hours of hard racing) but usually not in too bad a shape after an enduro due to the more relaxed mode of riding. i am an A vet rider with 27 yrs experience and i work out 5 times a week. I just got into the working out gig in the last year.

Top Bottom